Jump to content

Rate the last film you watched out of 5


Raoull duke
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 16/09/2021 at 00:16, Boozy The Clown said:

Sorcerer (1977)

 

Been on the edge of my seat for the final hour unable to look away, nails chewed down to nothing. 

 

The film that killed Billy Exorcist French Connection Friedman's career because it released the week after Star Wars, is in foreign languages for the first 15 minutes and was named after a Miles Davis album that had nothing to do with the supernatural.

 

4 men hiding out in the arsehole of South America drive nitro glycerine across 200 miles of jungle. Based on The Wages of Fear its a top gear vacation special from hell. 

 

A man's manly movie about the desperation of life and fate. 

 

5 clenched sphincters/5.

 

 

 

Never fails to hit the spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t believe I didn’t watch Sorcerer for at least two decades because I’d read somewhere it was a poor retread of WoF, and I think it was people on here who convinced me to give it a go.

 

Of course, I found it to be a film that is visually stunning in almost every frame. Well done rllmuk!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)

 

This has dropped on Now TV today and also at cinemas.

 

Karen Gillan and Lena Heady in a very stylised John Wick clone. Good cast and a couple of decentish set pieces, but there is nothing there otherwise. Its 1hr 45, but drags. If they'd chopped a good 20/25 minutes it would have been better.

 

Maybe fast forward to the action bits, but otherwise don't bother.

 

2/5

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supernova (2021)

 

Colin Firth (Sam) and Stanley Tuchi (Tusker) play a gay couple of 20 years who have to deal with the effects of dementia as it slowly starts to take over Tuskers mind.

 

From the trailer I expected this to leave me in pieces but I came away from it feeling quite ambivalent. Firth and Tuchi are both really great and whilst the film is gentle, tender and intimate, I felt it was also a little lacking and lukewarm. 

 

I think if you've ever had a loved one suffer from dementia it would probably hit you harder than it did myself, but its quite hard not to compare this to something like The Father which I think did a much better job in telling a story about dementia. The Father left me in tears, this didn't.

 

It's not bad, it's just a bit beige and completely held together by Firth and Tuchi in the central performances.

 

3/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Dune. I'll give it a very generous 3.

Oh, that’s disappointing. Can you give a few more non-spoilery impressions on why you didn’t enjoy it all that much?

 

I didn’t think it was out until the end of October either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, JPL said:

Oh, that’s disappointing. Can you give a few more non-spoilery impressions on why you didn’t enjoy it all that much?

 

I didn’t think it was out until the end of October either.

 

Full disclosure: I really don't rate Villeneuve as a storyteller, and he falls into a lot of his worse habits here. Ultimately it's a couple of passes short of being a very decent movie, but the brainwork hasn't been put in with the script and there's no getting around that. It's about twenty minutes longer than it needs to be (which really mattered to me at its runtime), and there are a few bits of plotting and dialogue that'll leave you rolling your eyes long into the next sequence. There's also an aesthetic choice with the Fremen which drove me up the fucking wall with its laziness.

 

Some of the sound design is nice. Surprisingly, it's not a great IMAX experience as you would imagine it could be. You wouldn't be losing a great deal going to see it on a standard screen.

 

All this aside, if you're the kind of person who rates Villeneuve, you'll probably enjoy it.

 

It's captioned Part One at the front end, and for all I didn't enjoy about it I'd like to see the second half. The story as is ends with ...

 

Spoiler

...your boy Atriedes and his mum joining with the Fremen...

 

...and with a lot of that lousy exposition out of the way, maybe the second part would be better.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Ultimately it's a couple of passes short of being a very decent movie, but the brainwork hasn't been put in with the script and there's no getting around that. It's about twenty minutes longer than it needs to be (which really mattered to me at its runtime), and there are a few bits of plotting and dialogue that'll leave you rolling your eyes long into the next sequence.

 


A reasonable summation of Bladerunner 2049 too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some might not classify it as a film but its a 2 hour 1 part drama so I think it qualifies...

 

Help - 4/5

 

Channel 4 drama about the covid pandemic in a care home. 

 

Depressing, upsetting and superbly realised. Brilliant performances from Jodie Cormer and Stephen Graham. 

 

I honestly think Stephen Graham is the best actor working today. He's bloody exceptional. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Malignant - 4

 

Its really hard to talk about without spoiling but after about 15 mins I was like "ah.... I see what they are doing here!" 

 

Loved that the trailer and marketing made it out to be another dime a dozen, to be taken seriously horror film like Conjuring. 

 

I expect younger people's and general movie watchers to not "get it" 

 

Spoiler

Most I've laughed in a long time

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Malignant

 

I basically enjoy anything churned out by the James Wan horror mill, and this fits the bill. Absolute fucking silliness accompanied with the unknown cast and inventive shots you might expect from a more experimental project.

 

3/5 in the best possible way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Some might not classify it as a film but its a 2 hour 1 part drama so I think it qualifies...

 

Help - 4/5

 

Channel 4 drama about the covid pandemic in a care home. 

 

Depressing, upsetting and superbly realised. Brilliant performances from Jodie Cormer and Stephen Graham. 

 

I honestly think Stephen Graham is the best actor working today. He's bloody exceptional. 


I thought this was excellent, but

Spoiler

The final act ruined it. What was that all about? Took any semblance of realism out of it, and Cormer’s monologue in the back of the police car was cringeworthy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ckny said:


I thought this was excellent, but

  Hide contents

The final act ruined it. What was that all about? Took any semblance of realism out of it, and Cormer’s monologue in the back of the police car was cringeworthy.

 

 

Yeah, I didn't like that monologue either. Too on the nose. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody 5/5

 

Not much you can fault about this is it. It's bloody great.  

 

Odenkirk is superb, it's got a tight runtime and doesn't waste a minute of it. 

 

With a nice black wedge of comedy underlying it all. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An American Werewolf in Paris

 

Well, I rather enjoyed this considering it’s reputation. It was a fun romp that wasn’t a complete retread of the first film. The CGI was heavily criticised at the time but I found it passable. Obviously it’s nowhere near as good as the original but it was still a decent sequel 

 

3/5

 

The Harvest 

 

Spellbinding performances from Shannon and Morton help elevate this spooky tale. I wasn’t expecting much from this and it blew me away a little. Not an original bone in its body but I didn’t care as I was having so much fun. It’s about a boy who can’t walk and his odd parents.

 

4/5

 

Dawn of the Dead

 

Firstly, I was confused by the three different versions on Prime. I went with the theatrical cut and it started off well enough. I got further confused as it didn’t seem to be like the Snyder version.  Where was the shopping mall. Then they eventually get to the mall and for me this was where the film kinda nosedived in quality. I was bored and kept looking at my iPad for gaming news. I’m slowly making my way through Romero’s career but have yet to work out why he is so revered. The zombies look terrible.
 

Luckily, things take a turn for the better in the last 40 minutes. The film ends really well.
 

3/5

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sandman said:

An American Werewolf in Paris

 

Well, I rather enjoyed this considering it’s reputation. It was a fun romp that wasn’t a complete retread of the first film. The CGI was heavily criticised at the time but I found it passable. Obviously it’s nowhere near as good as the original but it was still a decent sequel 

 

3/5

 

The Harvest 

 

Spellbinding performances from Shannon and Morton help elevate this spooky tale. I wasn’t expecting much from this and it blew me away a little. Not an original bone in its body but I didn’t care as I was having so much fun. It’s about a boy who can’t walk and his odd parents.

 

4/5

 

Dawn of the Dead

 

Firstly, I was confused by the three different versions on Prime. I went with the theatrical cut and it started off well enough. I got further confused as it didn’t seem to be like the Snyder version.  Where was the shopping mall. Then they eventually get to the mall and for me this was where the film kinda nosedived in quality. I was bored and kept looking at my iPad for gaming news. I’m slowly making my way through Romero’s career but have yet to work out why he is so revered. The zombies look terrible.
 

Luckily, things take a turn for the better in the last 40 minutes. The film ends really well.
 

3/5

 

 

I just can't at that Romero comment. It was 1978. How the fuck were zombies supposed to look. Terrible is the point. 

 

Now watch Day of the dead and tell me that's a 3/5.  Consider the VFX alone. And remember is 1988/89

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Son

 

Drama/Thriller with James McAvoy and Claire Foy. Their son goes missing - thats about the entire premise. The wonderful thing about this is McAvoy's entire script is improvised. He had no idea where the plot was going, what the motivations were, and he had no lines of dialogue given to him. A rough outline of his character and away he goes, he finds things out as we do. And fucking fuck me is he astonishing in it.

 

Really, really good film, which even without this 'gimmick' would be a solid and enjoyable thing. I always thought McAvoy was very good but this has elevated him.

 

4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Underwater (2020)

An SF disaster film of sorts, a deep sea drilling rig fails hugely, and as a small group of survivors try to find a way back up they encounter something strange and deadly. This film tries to hard to create an atmosphere of danger and foreboding it neglects everything else like a crew you care about, or, for a films that is mostly about the survivors, any interesting dynamics between the crew. It doesn't help that a lot of the action happens in dark, murky areas only illuminated by lights lost in a swirl of debris. As it went on I found myself caring less and less, the ending which was meant to be emotional felt more like an obligation to characters who barely mattered. Alien is still the textbook example of how to do this sort of thing, and that's over 40 years old.

 

2.5/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sex Education S3

 

It just doesn't know what to do with the main characters other than keep them apart artifically. Other chars fill the gap but they're a little less interesting, despite good performances. The sex school stuff feels a little undercooked and forced in the school too, leading to an unearned moment later on in the penultinate ep that feels like a much less good retread of the musical in S2.

 

Some unexpectedly good stuff though, in other places, quite literally.

 

3/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Son - 2.5/5

 

As average a film as I have seen in some time. There was nothing wrong with it but nothing really new. Decent performance from James Mccavoy as always. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Matrix Reloaded 

 

Still has some of the best editing I've seen for action sequences

 

4/5

 

The Matrix Revolutions

 

Half bollocks, half quite good

 

2.5/5

 

 

I think both of the sequels have aged more severely than the original, probably due to the amount of bendy man effects shite in it, and what happens when the directors are given free reign and shoehorn all their S&M fetish shit into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moneyball.

 

Baseball statistics thing with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Chris Pratt. Widely lauded by many and it's supposedly "not about the baseball"  it took me 3 attempts to watch this, I really didn't engage with it. I thought the ending with Beane in his car was laughably poor  and purely designed to pull at the heartstrings.

 

Despite that , Pitt and Hill are  generally excellent in their respective roles and there are no CGI dinosaurs chasing  Crisp Rat so y'know, positives.

 

2/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Clockwork Orange

 

Went to see the 4K restoration - the first time I've seen a Kubrick film projected. So intense and ageless: an apolitical story about anarchy and chaos filmed by a man seriously detached from regular human experience. Utterly essential. 

 

5/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, lolly said:

Moneyball.

 

Baseball statistics thing with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Chris Pratt. Widely lauded by many and it's supposedly "not about the baseball"  it took me 3 attempts to watch this, I really didn't engage with it. I thought the ending with Beane in his car was laughably poor  and purely designed to pull at the heartstrings.

 

Despite that , Pitt and Hill are  generally excellent in their respective roles and there are no CGI dinosaurs chasing  Crisp Rat so y'know, positives.

 

2/5

 

Damn, scathing! 

 

I honestly think its one of the best films in the last decade and in the top 5 of sports movies (and I have no love or knowledge of baseball). I'm not alone either :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr Sleep

 

Me and the current MrsT watched this last night as noticed it was on Sky.  We both thought it was excellent.  I personally didnt think much of the shining, but while this is the pseudo sequel, we both though it was a far superior film.  Excellent cast, took its time to develop the story and while its a long film (2hrs+) would recommend.

 

Solid 4/5 from this house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ry said:

 

Damn, scathing! 

 

I honestly think its one of the best films in the last decade and in the top 5 of sports movies (and I have no love or knowledge of baseball). I'm not alone either :)

I have to admit that found it a fairly interesting film, despite knowing nothing much about baseball. And having had to pause the film the film several times to look up on Wikipedia who exactly the “Tigers” or “Cardinals” or whoever were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dune (2021)

As someone who's not familiar with the books, I was gripped by the worldbuilding, visual splendour, scale and characters. It's a gorgeous, well-acted movie with some topical themes. Chalamet and Ferguson are particularly good and Momoa is a crowd pleaser. It's a slow movie with only a few set pieces but I was never bored. In fact, I keep thinking about this movie and definitely want to see it again. Main gripes: it's very much the first part of a bigger story, but with part 2 not officialy confirmed, it would be rather unfulfilling if it ends here. The main villain is fairly one-note, at least in part 1 of the story. Zimmer's score is good but not as good as his best work for Nolan. And this one's a personal preference but I tend to prefer my sci-fi a bit harder and less mystical. 

Still, go see it on the biggest screen you can find.

4/5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.