Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Savage Three (1975)

Violent, unhinged Italian poliziotteschi that frankly doesn't mess about. You basically have three bored young guys in a spiral of increasingly violent thrills, and a wily old cop on the case. It gets more and more insane as it goes on, with some really twisted nastiness, the part with Joe Dallesandro and his wife near the end was especially cold. However, it's all backed up with a decent plot and a consistent tone. It's fair to say this is genuinely shocking in places, doesn't hold back on the violence.

4/5

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

What a fantastic film this is, moving and deceptively deep despite a simple premise. A man and his son search post-war Rome for a stolen bicycle without which he's unable to work, the family depend on it to survive. They roam the back streets, father getting into trouble as he becomes more desperate, his son Bruno often neglected actually and emotionally as his father tries harder. So many of the themes here have relevance today: people in poverty up against an uncaring system, people trying the best but ultimately powerless. The final scene is heartbreaking, by that point you've been through all the ups and downs, shared the increasing desperation. Awesome.

5/5

15 hours ago, Nick R said:

I listened to the Nausicaä episode of the Ghibliotheque podcast* a few days ago. They made a lot of comparisons between Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke, largely viewing the earlier film as a rough draft for ideas that were later explored with more refinement and complexity in Mononoke.

* They've got a book out!

BUT! For my money, Nausicaa is a better film. Less ponderous.

[REC] (2007)

It's a great combination of constant tension, expertly-handled chaotic scenes and effective jump scares that make this found-footage film total class. The sound in particular is fantastic. It may look chaotic on the surface but the way it brings things that happened earlier back shows how much care went into it. Hope you like a lot of screaming and panting though.

4.5/5

The Holy Mountain (1973)

No, I haven't a clue either but by crikey was this a full-on experience, visually arresting, sumptuous production. I'll need to watch this a few more times to get anywhere near fully appreciating the themes. You don't need to ask why, just go with it. The ending, wow.

4.5/5

On 16/09/2021 at 00:16, Boozy The Clown said:

Sorcerer (1977)

Been on the edge of my seat for the final hour unable to look away, nails chewed down to nothing. 

The film that killed Billy Exorcist French Connection Friedman's career because it released the week after Star Wars, is in foreign languages for the first 15 minutes and was named after a Miles Davis album that had nothing to do with the supernatural.

4 men hiding out in the arsehole of South America drive nitro glycerine across 200 miles of jungle. Based on The Wages of Fear its a top gear vacation special from hell. 

A man's manly movie about the desperation of life and fate. 

5 clenched sphincters/5.

Never fails to hit the spot.

I can’t believe I didn’t watch Sorcerer for at least two decades because I’d read somewhere it was a poor retread of WoF, and I think it was people on here who convinced me to give it a go.

Of course, I found it to be a film that is visually stunning in almost every frame. Well done rllmuk!

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)

This has dropped on Now TV today and also at cinemas.

Karen Gillan and Lena Heady in a very stylised John Wick clone. Good cast and a couple of decentish set pieces, but there is nothing there otherwise. Its 1hr 45, but drags. If they'd chopped a good 20/25 minutes it would have been better.

Maybe fast forward to the action bits, but otherwise don't bother.

2/5

Supernova (2021)

Colin Firth (Sam) and Stanley Tuchi (Tusker) play a gay couple of 20 years who have to deal with the effects of dementia as it slowly starts to take over Tuskers mind.

From the trailer I expected this to leave me in pieces but I came away from it feeling quite ambivalent. Firth and Tuchi are both really great and whilst the film is gentle, tender and intimate, I felt it was also a little lacking and lukewarm. 

I think if you've ever had a loved one suffer from dementia it would probably hit you harder than it did myself, but its quite hard not to compare this to something like The Father which I think did a much better job in telling a story about dementia. The Father left me in tears, this didn't.

It's not bad, it's just a bit beige and completely held together by Firth and Tuchi in the central performances.

3/5

12 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Dune. I'll give it a very generous 3.

Oh, that’s disappointing. Can you give a few more non-spoilery impressions on why you didn’t enjoy it all that much?

I didn’t think it was out until the end of October either.

38 minutes ago, JPL said:

Oh, that’s disappointing. Can you give a few more non-spoilery impressions on why you didn’t enjoy it all that much?

I didn’t think it was out until the end of October either.

Full disclosure: I really don't rate Villeneuve as a storyteller, and he falls into a lot of his worse habits here. Ultimately it's a couple of passes short of being a very decent movie, but the brainwork hasn't been put in with the script and there's no getting around that. It's about twenty minutes longer than it needs to be (which really mattered to me at its runtime), and there are a few bits of plotting and dialogue that'll leave you rolling your eyes long into the next sequence. There's also an aesthetic choice with the Fremen which drove me up the fucking wall with its laziness.

Some of the sound design is nice. Surprisingly, it's not a great IMAX experience as you would imagine it could be. You wouldn't be losing a great deal going to see it on a standard screen.

All this aside, if you're the kind of person who rates Villeneuve, you'll probably enjoy it.

It's captioned Part One at the front end, and for all I didn't enjoy about it I'd like to see the second half. The story as is ends with ...

Spoiler

...your boy Atriedes and his mum joining with the Fremen...

...and with a lot of that lousy exposition out of the way, maybe the second part would be better.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Ultimately it's a couple of passes short of being a very decent movie, but the brainwork hasn't been put in with the script and there's no getting around that. It's about twenty minutes longer than it needs to be (which really mattered to me at its runtime), and there are a few bits of plotting and dialogue that'll leave you rolling your eyes long into the next sequence.

A reasonable summation of Bladerunner 2049 too.

Some might not classify it as a film but its a 2 hour 1 part drama so I think it qualifies...

Help - 4/5

Channel 4 drama about the covid pandemic in a care home. 

Depressing, upsetting and superbly realised. Brilliant performances from Jodie Cormer and Stephen Graham. 

I honestly think Stephen Graham is the best actor working today. He's bloody exceptional. 

Malignant - 4

Its really hard to talk about without spoiling but after about 15 mins I was like "ah.... I see what they are doing here!" 

Loved that the trailer and marketing made it out to be another dime a dozen, to be taken seriously horror film like Conjuring. 

I expect younger people's and general movie watchers to not "get it" 

Spoiler

Most I've laughed in a long time

Malignant

I basically enjoy anything churned out by the James Wan horror mill, and this fits the bill. Absolute fucking silliness accompanied with the unknown cast and inventive shots you might expect from a more experimental project.

3/5 in the best possible way.

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Some might not classify it as a film but its a 2 hour 1 part drama so I think it qualifies...

Help - 4/5

Channel 4 drama about the covid pandemic in a care home. 

Depressing, upsetting and superbly realised. Brilliant performances from Jodie Cormer and Stephen Graham. 

I honestly think Stephen Graham is the best actor working today. He's bloody exceptional. 

I thought this was excellent, but

Spoiler

The final act ruined it. What was that all about? Took any semblance of realism out of it, and Cormer’s monologue in the back of the police car was cringeworthy.

10 hours ago, ckny said:

I thought this was excellent, but

Hide contents

The final act ruined it. What was that all about? Took any semblance of realism out of it, and Cormer’s monologue in the back of the police car was cringeworthy.

Yeah, I didn't like that monologue either. Too on the nose.