Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

The Lighthouse (2019)

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson are trapped on an island in 1890 with nothing to eat or drink but turps and honey.  A story of oil lamps and gaslighting, it looks incredible and the two central performances hold the whole descent into madness together with spit and jism.  Amazing.

Five spilled beans out of five.

I'm assuming you've seen "the witch", mr wiskerando? If not, get that up your eye bulbs an' all!

The Empty Man - **

long thin ropey goldfish shit

Electric Boogaloo The Wild Untold Story Of Cannon Films - ***

Fun, it was what I expected.

The Father - ***½

leans a bit too heavily into psychological horror, to it's detriment I thought, but it's good!

32 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Where is this available please? The trailer looks very good and has had good shout son here too. 

It's available to rent on sky cinema. 

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 - ***

Some really annoying characters and it felt like they started shooting with not even the first draft of half a script, like just a few random ideas scribbled on the back of a fag packet.
Having said that, It's colourful, bold and stupid and I had a smile on my face for most of it.
There's something really admirable about it. It's all really half arsed but there's a rocket up there.

I had a child free day so spent a chunk of it watching a mixed bag of films rather than the things I probably should have been doing.

Shadow in the clouds

It's an alright film.  It knows its a film and throws all sorts of nonsense, feels a bit like snakes on a plane in that regard where it's just what next :).  Some of it lands, some of it doesn't and it throws a lot of ideas at the screen in it's runtime.  2.5/5

Blood Red Sky

I hadn't heard of this but I saw some people saying it was better than the aforementioned film so gave it a watch.  They're right that it's a better film, it sticks to one thread mainly.  The acting is debatably better.  If asked to pick I'd watch this one again so 3/5

Chaos Walking

This is just a boring film with a boring premise.  It's got some good and some really good actors in it so I dunno what happened but it's boring.  I don't feel Tom Holland can carry a film on the back of this and Mikkelsen (sp?) who I usually like is woeful.  Avoid

I see this tanked at the box office, It deserved to.  I try to watch sci-fi in case it's got any interesting ideas.  This had none.

1 minute ago, tenrou said:

Chaos Walking

This is just a boring film with a boring premise.  It's got some good and some really good actors in it so I dunno what happened but it's boring.  I don't feel Tom Holland can carry a film on the back of this and Mikkelsen (sp?) who I usually like is woeful.  Avoid

I see this tanked at the box office, It deserved to.  I try to watch sci-fi in case it's got any interesting ideas.  This had none.

No idea about the film, but the source material had a lot of original ideas and as a YA trilogy, was in a completely different class to things like The Hunger Games. Shame that it didn't achieve the same level of popularity, nor the commitment (funding?) to making a proper adaptation.

I saw this had a budget of 125 million which really baffled me as I don't really know where the money went.  There wasn't really a buig obvious set that had to be built.  There were only ships at 2 points and they were both mainly cgi.  

I don't know about the source material but this was I suspect not the adaptation book lovers would have wanted.

It's really abysmal. I was excited for it as thought the trailers looked interesting but it's one of the worst films I have seen this year. 

On 25/01/2020 at 00:46, Bazjam said:

Sweet Bean (2015) 5/5

I took out a months subscription to the BFI player as I wanted to watch Bait again, and noticed this was on there. It’s a film I’d heard lots about, with people often comparing it to Kore-eda’s films, so I thought I’d give it a go, especially as it stars the amazing Kirin Kiki. So glad I did. A truly beautiful film. A film that gently hooks you in, then twists at your heart.

Saw this last night. Great film. Arguably a bit clichéd in places, but you forgive that, as it hits so hard.

Django

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060315/

Sergio Corbucci's Grand Guignol spaghetti western is set on the USA-Mexican border just after the Civil War. Django, an ex-Union soldier, wreaks bloody vengeance on the Ku Klux Klan.

I’ve watched a lot of westerns recently - spaghetti westerns and US studio productions. The spaghetti westerns are far superior, the colours, the music, the faces of the cast and the sets are all on a different level to the US made ones. And of all the westerns I’ve watched this was the most interesting. 

A mysterious stranger rescues a beautiful woman from a gang of hoodlums. They drift into a deserted, ruined town and find themselves in the middle of a conflict between the klan and a group of revolutionaries. A pretty standard set-up except in this film the hero drags a coffin with him everywhere he goes.

The plot is pretty straight forward but flies along. And the action sequences are well directed and nicely violent. The photography is top class with a real end of the world feel to the town where it’s set - all dilapidated buildings and mud-filled streets. There’s a great soundtrack (got it on in the background right now) and the whole thing just has a great energy to it. I think this is the first Sergio Corbucci film I’ve seen but I’ll definitely be watching more.

This was such a great film. Franco Nero as Django is essentially a blue-eyed Clint Eastwood - he massacres 100’s of people as he wanders about the town and never seems bothered. He plays both sides off each other while scheming away on his own plan. The rest of the cast are a fine collection of faces full of character and emotion. 

4.5/5

Edited by Silent Runner

Free Guy (2021)

image.png.3d8a384ccecde25efa906243c2eafce8.png

This was ok. My first trip to the cinema since February last year, so that in itself was something of a novelty. Ryan Reynolds plays an NPC character in a Fortnite/GTA-style MMO who becomes self-aware and falls in love with the avatar of a real-life player. There's some gubbins about finding some lost code buried deep within the game, which I felt the film could have done without - I can't help but think this would have been more satisfying if it was more like a modern version of the Truman Show with Reynolds trying to escape the game, or something similar, but as it was it was an inoffensive way to pass two hours. Jodie Comer is good in it, but I really didn't like Taika Waititi as the baddie. All of his lines felt very forced and didn't make me laugh once. There was something off with his delivery.

Overall, however, I've seen far worse summer blockbusters, and far worse games based on videogames, come to think of it. I imagine kids of a Fortnite kind of age, who can recognise all of the Twitch cameos, would appreciate it a lot more than I did. I liked the Shadow of the Colossus poster Comer had in her flat, and Joe Kerry's N7 laptop sticker.

2.5/5

Sabrina

The remake starring Han Solo. I wasn't expecting much from this at all. Its a nicely told tale about well off white people with no real problems in their lives dealing with relationships and whatnot. Ford and Ormond are both excellent and I had a good time with this.

3/5

Working Girl

Another romantic thingy starring Ford which I haven't seen since the cinema release. Griffiths never lived up to the promise shown in this film. She leads the film extremely well and plays the part to perfection. Its a fun romp and has aged reasonably well

3.5/5

Star Wars

(or A New Hope depending on a certain type of view). Absolute cinematic perfection and a revelation in 4k.

5/5

Robocop

The stop motion Ed209 is really starting to age badly. Everything else is just pure amaze. I'd buy that for a dollar. This was an utter revelation at time of release and felt like a real game changer to me at the time. 

5/5

Robocop 2

This is good, buts runs out of steam a but towards the end. Its much dafter than the original (the mayor is extremely annoying every second he is on screen) and it doesn't flow anywhere as well as Robocop. Still, it villain is brilliant and Weller and Allen are both still putting in good work.

3.5/5

The Man with Two Brains

Blimey, I found Miss Turner to be extremely attractive here. The film is middle tier Martin but I found it a very pleasant watch with shades of Brooks in much of the dialogue.

3.5/5

Trespass

An absolute waste of talent in this mediocre home invasion thriller. Cage, Kidman, Mendelsohn and Schumacher on directing duties should add up to a decent mix. But it kinda plods along and the plot is bonkers daft even for the genre.

2/5

Angel Face

Excellent film noir with Mitchum in tip top form. Nice and lean with Jean Simmons providing first rate support.

4/5

Megalodon

I love Madsen even when he isn't trying. This one of those "so bad its good" films that the whole family enjoyed (which is rare in my household). 

3/5

I just watched an odd one: Teen Titans Go! Watch Space Jam and it was basically exactly that. Starts off like an episode of Teen Titans Go! but the aliens from Space Jam come to visit them. Cyborg recognises them but quickly realised the rest of them haven’t seen Space Jam, so they all go and watch it. And then it’s literally just [the original] Space Jam with the Teen Titans occasionally commenting on what’s going on.

It was great! 4.

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

I know that this is lifted from the website but was it really necessary to quote it? It sounds like something that an old relative would have said in the seventies. 

Yeah, that's fair. I just copy it from IMDB. I'll change it.

On 13/08/2021 at 06:13, Scribblor said:

I do enjoy the utter batshit mythology/lore they've come up with in these movies, but then they waste all of it on two CGI animals roaring at each other for most of the film and never, never even mention the fact that millions of people must have died during the fights. I mean, they destroy an entire city and then basically shrug it away

Yup. I've not seen the previous films so it went largely over my head, but I couldn't stop thinking about the destruction wrought on the city during the final scenes. I don't know if I'm just too old for these films now or what, or maybe the pandemic has flipped a switch in my head.

On 16/08/2021 at 03:42, Jamie John said:

Jaws (1975)

image.png.bc99ac5618f420e19e2f94cefa28066a.png

I mean, it's motherfucking Jaws! Of course it's amazing. I watched it in 4K with a massive smile plastered across my face from beginning to end. What struck me most this time was the quality and sadness of Robert Shaw's performance as Quint. The bit where he tells Brody and Hooper about what happened when the Indianapolis sunk is chilling. I learnt that he died just a few years after the film was released, only 51 years old, which is pretty bloody tragic.

Anyway, it goes without saying that this is essential viewing. One of the best thrillers ever made and probably the definitive monster movie.

5/5

One of my favorite movies. I believe Robert Shaw actually spent time doing some writing for that scene too.

Watched a few movies this weekend, of note, Blood and Wine with Jack Nicholson, Jennifer Lopez, Michael Caine and Stephen Dorff. 
4/5 really enjoyed it.

Days of Thunder (rewatch after a long time, this time on 4K disc)

Budget Top Gun - same story beats fundamentally, executed not as well.  
Bonus point for a young John C. Reilly doing a qualifying run for Talladega Nights.

Shake and under-baked - 2.5

On 15/08/2021 at 21:28, Ry said:

Beckett - 3/5

Solid enough thriller. Nothing new or memorable but killed a couple of hours. 

The only question i have for those who have watched Beckett, and it's a question that must be asked to every single person who has watched it before anything else is said, or even in place of any detailed opinion is...

Spoiler

Was that the 4th or 5th floor of a multi storey car park and what was he thinking? I mean really? The film has an activist WHO HAS BEEN FILLED IN BY BECKETT OVER WHAT HAPPENED AND WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE HERSELF limply follow Beckett offering nothing going 'heh beckett whats up did you see something' like she's following a cat or a dog and THEN WHEN HE'S JUST LEAPED ONTO A FUCKING CAR she's still like 'heh what's up? What's wrong?' in the most oblivious way that is baffling as well because the film does nothing with that character, she might as well not be in the film. Alicia Vikander signed up to pretend she's madly in love with John David Washington and then die, and Vicky Krieps signed up to do literally nothing. From Phantom Thread to this. 

And when you're desperate and want help stop telling people you shot a police officer! When you didn't even do that! He shot himself! Just leave the specifics of that tussle out! 

3 out of 5? 3 out of 10 for me. 

going through it again.. Krieps at one point in the car asks 'are we in danger? Are we?' What do you think? Aren't you supposed to be switched on? Beckett said they've kidnapped a fucking kid! Actually no you said that, he said he's seen the kid and has two cops trying to kill him. bad writing throughout. litany of bad choices, wasted time, undeveloped characters, zero contextualising of events and explanation. 

On 15/08/2021 at 21:28, Ry said:

Beckett - 3/5

Solid enough thriller. Nothing new or memorable but killed a couple of hours. 

Started this last night and was bored shitless after 30 mins so gave up. I found the performances of the couple at the beginning so awful it really put me off. 

Worth persevering?

The Purge (2013)

An interesting premise (which I hadn’t realised was based on an OG Star Trek episode) executed poorly and cheaply. 

2/5

Logan (2017)

Did a rewatch with the kids and, geez, forgot how explicitly violent this was. A decent swan-song for a beloved character or two, especially compared to some of the dross Fox pumped out over the years.  

4/5

Unstoppable (2010)

Denzel phones it in with an upcoming Chris Pine in this fairly plodding film that might be super appealing to train enthusiasts. 

2/5

Free Guy

Thinks it’s The Lego Movie crossed with Deadpool with a gamer spin, but it’s in fact a two hour marketing-athon of pop culture cringe that makes Ready Player One and Ralph Breaks the Internet both seem restrained and enlightening. Seems to have a subtext about the constraints of consumerism and the nature of free will, but in the end does nothing with them. And are you expecting satire, critique or deconstruction of shallow ‘gamer’ culture? You won’t get it here; it wallows in it.

0.5/5