IGNORED

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Jungle Cruise - 3.5/5

The Mummy is one of my favourite films, so take this with a pinch of salt, but this is actually surprisingly good fun. It's got a sort of comforting early 2000s feel to it, and everybody hams it up at just the right level. It's about 25 minutes too long and there's one really disappointing joke in it, especially given the sensitivity they show for exactly the same subject matter about three scenes beforehand. But other than that, it's quite good!

If nothing else it's worth seeing purely for the absolutely astonishing accent that Paul Giamatti attempts in it.

Batman Begins (2005)

image.thumb.png.0457100e749bb49d712c1b66e00037fd.png

This is yet another Nolan film that I've seen once already, though this one I haven't watched in at least a decade. Crazy to think that it's 16 years old!

Anyway, it's pretty good fun, if a bit rushed. The Scarecrow feels like a bit of a non-entity when compared to Raz-Al-Ghul and doesn't really have a huge amount of screen time. I'm not sure why he's even in the film, really. But, as an origin story, it does its job well and makes an endearing character out of Bruce Wayne. Some of the set design feels a little more contrived compared with the realism of Nolan's later films, and it lacks the grandeur of his more recent work, too. Overall, however, I thought it was a much better superhero film than some of the efforts from Marvel I've been watching this year.

Plus, it's got the Tumbler in it, which immediately makes it super badass.

4/5

A damn good Stephen King adaptation about a farmer who wants rid of his wife, with a fantastic central performance by Thomas Jane and a suitably creepy score. It's quite old fashioned really, like a classic 19th century ghost story, and not particularly scary, but it's very well crafted and never boring. 

4/5

Goodfellas

I watched this many years ago and found it very boring, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

This time around I was absolutely transfixed from start to almost finish (the last half hour does drag a little). It's an amazing film. I think seeing The Sopranos and watching this understanding more about the mob made me appreciate it more. 4.5/5

Force of Evil (1948)

As someone with a love for film noir I'm surprised this film hadn't crossed my path sooner. Though a little atypical for the genre (it evidently had a decent budget, for one), this is a fantastic bit of crime drama. It's well acted throughout (John Garfield at his charismatic, repressed-energy best; Thomas Gomez giving a wild, sympathetic turn), with gorgeous, percussive dialogue.

The focus on the brokenness of the system, rather than on the fault of the individual, is refreshing, and the use of repeated imagery (Cain and Abel, discussions of mortality) powerful. And the ending is suitably bleak.

It kept me engaged throughout, just a very compelling drama as we watch a set of sympathetic (and not-so-sympathetic) characters get dragged inevitably down into disaster through a rigged system (in which they are trying to run their own rigged systems...). Great stuff.

Only notable flaws: aspects of the ending didn't quite work for me; the shootout itself is very of its age, and the final voiceover just didn't ring true. Would he really turn himself in after all that? I also found the treatment of its female cast a little throwaway: even by the standards of the genre they feel a little too objectified, a little too without their own impetus.

Nevertheless, this was a fabulous film, and I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

(also, it made me really want a stovetop vacuum coffee maker of the era, what gorgeous devices they were)

4/5

Game Over, Man (2018)

Acceptable cheap 'n reasonably cheerful comedy Die Hard with three guys working in a hotel up against some terrorists and all that sort of thing. Definitely trying to tap into that slacker comedy thing popularised by the likes of Seth Rogen or Jason Bateman, but obviously a bit cheaper. It is unremarkable, has occasional laughs, typically coarse for this sort of thing, er that's it really. Totally forgettable but not that bad for a bit of throwaway entertainment. Alcohol definitely helped make this more enjoyable.

3/5

Bone Tomahawk

In the dying days of the old west, an elderly sheriff and his posse set out to rescue their town's doctor from cannibalistic cave dwellers.

I think this got a lot of attention for that* scene but I thought this was an excellent western in it's own right. It's a fairly typical story of abduction and rescue but there are some supernatural elements hinted at early doors and there's more than a little savagery, it can be quite gruesome though most of the gore is suggested rather than shown, which for me as  the squeamish sort, was quite welcome.

The cast are uniformly excellent with Russell, Wilson and fox doing good work, also thought that the wife/doctor was good , she's  a competent and intelligent character though her screen time is limited.Some of the dialogue is quite modern in it's sensibilities IMO but it portrays the characters as generally intelligent individuals  who are fully aware of the task they are undertaking and the potential pitfalls .

So , even if the story is not especially complex  it's not hard to gauge that I liked this as I keep using the word "excellent" in this review.

4/5

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

Not watched this in years, it's still superbly grim, perfectly paced with that unique Shane Meadows combination of nastiness and humour, it is genuinely funny in places.

5/5

This is on Britbox now if you have it.

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)

Not watched this in years, it's still superbly grim, perfectly paced with that unique Shane Meadows combination of nastiness and humour, it is genuinely funny in places.

5/5

This is on Britbox now if you have it.

One of my top 10 movies. 

"You were right fucking here" 

Points to Palm of hand. 

"Are you the devil?" 

Black Mass - 3/5. 

Rewatch of the flawed gangster film about Whitey Bulger. 

Some good performances but a bit sloppy with the pacing. Benedict Cumberbatch Boston accent is up there with the worst. 

Fast 9 - 2/5 

For a film all about stupid action it was boring as fuck for most of the run time. A couple of half decent set pieces don't make up for it. They easily could have cut 30 mins and had a much more enjoyable film. Vin Diesels puckered asshole mouth angry face did make me laugh though. 

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

Not my first time in bat country but it's even funnier than I remembered. Depp and Del Toro are wonderful throughout. I was nearly crying with laughter during the "ether walk" scene.

4/5

Edit: just saw who this thread was started by!

On 30/07/2021 at 23:46, Ry said:

Predator - 5/5

It's the absolute pinnacle/upper/cinema masterpiece of action films. 

It makes modern action movies absolutely soulless and redundant. It's close to perfect in every way. And in all honesty, I think it has one of the greatest scores of all time. Without that Alan silveatre score it's just not the same. The dread, atmosphere and pure adrenaline is unlike any action film then or since. 

Fact is, its not just one of the best action films ever, it's a bona-fide classic and one of the best films ever made. 

Depressing in a way, nothing has came close. Arnold was the biggest star in the world for good reason. He made classics. As much as I like superhero films, only one is a classic (The Dark Knight) 

The genius of Predator for me is the switcheroo it pulls off brilliantly 30 minutes or so into the film.  The opening set up resulting in the attack on the Guerrilla camp is all typical 80’s action film fare.  Then the film totally flips it, with the guys you figured to be the heroes becoming nothing more than desperately hunted prey fighting to survive. Absolutely brilliant at the time, and still packs a punch to this day, thus assuring the film classic status. 

The scene where they all unload everything they have into the jungle is still one of my favourite movie moments of all time.:hat:

The Gentlemen

Amazon Prime

Hugh Grant is exceptional in this but the rest of the film was disappointing. Not a waste of two hours but also not something I'd recommend. If you like Guy Ritchie stuff, this is standard Guy Ritchie. It was OK 

2/5

The Dark Knight (2008)

image.png.6e23aed7640c1e1911b3df63d5f503b9.png

I've seen this a couple of times now but I certainly didn't mind watching it again. It's a better film than Batman Begins, and that's mostly down to the focus it has from having one central villain. Ledger's performance is probably the best thing in the film, too. The set pieces are also more ambitious and it's cut less frantically - you start to see Nolan indulging in some of the longer action shots here that go on to form a major part of his more recent stuff. If it loses half a star, it's because Dent's transition from White Knight to Two-Face feels a bit too sudden to be truly believable. Otherwise, however, this is an excellent action film and probably the superlative superhero movie.

4.5/5

Pig (2021)

This was really great. A "revenge" thriller that subverts all your expectations that it almost becomes anti-revenge. It's decontructs everything about the likes of John Wick/Nobody by constantly setting up familiar situations only to subvert you even more. Cage is so great in this, its his best performance for a very long time. The direction is great, the music is wonderful and for a movie called Pig, based around the kidnapping of a Pig, its about as human as it gets. The last 30mins are emotionally overwhelming and the final moments hauntingly beautiful.

4/5

Jungle Cruise (2021)

As a family we all enjoyed this but it pretty much apes and copies a load of other films but never reaches their quality. There's so much of The Mummy, Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones in this, but no one will be talking about this film or the characters decades down the line like they do with them.

It's a little too long and it could really have done with another pass over with the editing and some of the CGI is really ropey for a Disney Summer Blockbuster.

Emily Blunt and The Rock are really good together though, they have very good chemistry and Jessie Plemons perfectly hams it up as the bad guy. But he wasn't as interesting as the Conquistadors, who felt really underused, but not as underused as Paul Giamatti. If you have Paul Giamatti in your film, use him. They could have almost just had him replace Plemons character because to be honest, nothing Plemons does really drives the plot forward, he's just there to be a nuisance to the heroes of the film.

Using an instrumental version of Nothing Else Matters for a random flashback moment was a really weird choice too. I love the song, but it felt well out of place in this film.

Overall it's a lot of fun, if not superfluous but a really good romp with a fairly easy plot to follow and some good action set pieces. It helped pass a couple hours.

3/5

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

image.thumb.png.5423d9748891fbe61560c92ca9cc6b5d.png

:unsure: Hmm. Someone's going to have to explain this one to me, because I really don't understand why this is revered so much.

I've not seen it before. All I knew going in was that it was set in a shopping mall and it was supposed to be one of the best zombie/horror films ever made. Granted, its been about 43 years since it first came out, so its original impact is impossible to replicate. That said, however, I'm guessing it's really not dated very well at all, certainly compared with several other 70s films released either before or shortly after this which I would count among some of the best ever made - The Godfather, Jaws, Apocalypse Now, Alien, for example - all of which I think still hold up extremely well. I suppose it's not really fair to compare those films to this one (I get the impression that this was made on a far smaller budget, even with all the extras and the helicopters and so on), but I don't understand why this stands alongside films like those in lists of the best cinema of the time.

The acting is pretty terrible throughout from everyone bar Foree and (sometimes) Ross (it's quite telling that I don't think I've seen any of the cast in anything else, before or since). I didn't find Scott Reiniger's performance and his transition into a blood-crazed hot-head convincing at all, although he's not helped much in that regard by the script. Other performances are just laughably rubbish, and often bizarre, like the weird copper asking everyone for cigarettes near the beginning (wut?), or Wooley talking about the 'Bastard, bastard' Puerto Ricans (one of whom is obviously some skinny white bloke in blackface) in an early scene. Very strange.

As a social commentary about the evils of consumerism, by modern standards this just feels extremely on the nose, about as subtle as a big sign on the screen that says 'Materialism is bad, kids'. Moreover, once this original point has been shoved in your face, it's just repeated throughout the film in slightly different but similarly obvious ways, never really developed into anything more nuanced or interesting. Maybe social commentary in mainstream media was rare enough in the late 70s for this to be notable because of its novelty, but I found the lingering shots of zombies going clothes shopping or pressing their noses up against the window displays annoying by the end.

As a gory zombie movie, the special effects are pretty poor, even when compared with other films made at the same sort of time - the blood looks like magenta paint and the bits where people get bitten look like they're made of cake. The 'zombies' are only zombies because they're daubed with white make-up and have rings under their eyes. They're entirely unthreatening and just sort of goofy (see the weird monk guy in the screencap above, for example - what was that about?) Watching it made me appreciate the special effects in The Thing (which only came out 4 years after this) a lot more.

On a technical level, the continuity between quite a few of the shots just don't make sense. Like, a character will look at something they find interesting through an air vent, for example, and you'll expect the next shot to be what they can see, but, instead, the next shot is what a different character can see, in a completely different location - there were three or four shots like this I found entirely jarring. It's the same with the bit when they first get on the chopper at the beginning - the camera suddenly cuts from all the characters talking excitedly to one another to one of them being asleep, and then there's another cut to another character being asleep, without there being any other indication that time has passed. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't work. I actually rewound the film on two different occasions because I thought I'd missed something, but it was just bad editing.

The narrative itself and what happens in the film is also just pretty...dull. I didn't really think the plot was very entertaining, and it's absolutely not scary or horrifying in anyway at all (again, you could argue that I'm desensitised to it as a media-hardened millennial, but The Exorcist, which predates this by 5 years, is still pretty fucking disturbing). Even beyond the horror, though, there isn't even that much tension, and any tension that is created is almost immediately undermined by some random comic moment, intentional or otherwise, like a zombie dying in a stupid way or pulling a silly face, or the characters suddenly happy because they can loot fur coats or expensive watches, or the annoying music, which often feels like it's been taken from a different film entirely, or several other films, being a mixture of the gothic stuff you'd find in a Hammer Horror and weird Blaxploitation movie-style funky basslines. Compare the score in this to something like the one used in The Shining (1980) and the difference in quality is notable.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand it, or maybe you just had to be there, man. I've done a bit of reading on it this evening since watching it and it sounds like it's seen as an 'important', 'seminal' film for the horror genre, and maybe if I was more of a film studies student I'd be able to appreciate it more. I can see why, without this, we wouldn't have stuff like The Walking Dead, or The Last of Us, or (obviously) Shaun of the Dead.

Nonetheless, just because something's influential doesn't necessarily make it good, and watching this cold in 2021 for the first time, I thought it was bemusing, but also quite boring and just kind of stupid, as much as I'm aware that I sound like a brat typing that.  I didn't turn it off, but I thought about doing so a couple of times, and I spent most of its 2.07 runtime looking like this :huh:, wondering when it was suddenly going to become this genre-defining experience, or if it was actually all some big piss-take that I wasn't getting.

I will say that the second half is better than the first, once the characters are more established in the mall and the 

Spoiler

raiders

show up. But, even then, it sort of just...fizzles out.

All I know is that I paid about £25 for the super-duper 4K boxset and I'll definitely be selling this one on.

Sorry!

1.5/5

Dead Man's Shoes

This has aged in some of its techniques, but it's still brilliant and Paddy Considine is terrifying.

I'm not sure why boot cut jeans ever have been or ever will be in fashion, though.

4.5/5