Rate the last film you watched out of 5

Raoull duke

Nam Angels (1989)

5/5

Some Hell's Angels bikers ride through the Vietnam war blasting Vietcong in order to steal gold from a Nazi Frenchman.

If it sounds insane, you are correct. Frankly I want to give it 11 out of 5. Trailer. Last time I watched this was in 1991 in Eastern Europe, on a Soviet era bootleg VHS tape with bad dubbing. Recently saw it in HD. Even better than I remember. Love it to bits.

Demons 2

I saw the first Demons ages ago, but never really liked it, so put off watching the sequel. Decided to give it a go tonight and really enjoyed it. I note that it doesn't seem as well thought of as the first one, so might revisit the original at some point.

4 out of 5

Warcraft 3.7/5

I played Warcraft 2 more than 25 years ago, other than that I dont know anything about the lore. I watched Warcraft in bed last night and it was fantastic. After the film had ended I immediately googled to see if there was a sequel, but sadly there isn't. 

Gunpowder Milkshake - 1.5/5

Going to get obvious comparisons to John Wick just because it has a female assassin in this underground wotld but its nothing like it, the world building is shite for a start. All I could think is it seems like the director is trying to make a tarantino style film but it lacks any of the brilliance of his films. 

I nearly turned it off early on, there's a fight with the main character played by Karen Gillan in a bowling alley it's filmed from afar so you see everything, she didn't look anyway an action star, laughing my head off. So stilted and quite amusing, then watching her run like a 10 year old yet she's this amazing bad ass supposedly. Luckily future fights scenes are not as bad because the camera work hides the inadequacy. 

It tries to be funny at times as well and I just groaned. The writing is shocking. 

As couple of reviews summed it up  put it perfectly for me: 

"Feels like another filmmaker who has seen Tarantino's Kill BIll a few dozen times and thought they could do something just as cool." 

"Gunpowder Milkshake misses its mark and does a disservice to the otherwise talented cast. The script is so bad, you'd think they teamed up with Tommy Wiseau" 

Even my other half who enjoys any shitty action film thought it was dreadful and she thinks everything is OK. 

The Dead Don't Die

Review in the thread, TL;DR? I liked the first hr for the character work and gentle humour and 4th wall stuff... but it was flawed, was REALLY obvious with the social commentary and the 2nd half of the film sort of dribbled to an end.

3/5

Bandidos (1967)

Terrific spaghetti western. There's some great camera work. Highlight is the bottle cam which follows the whiskey bottle as it slides across the bar. I think it was at that point that I knew for sure I was watching something a bit special.

4.5 out of 5

Rurouni Kenshin 1 - 3.5/5

sae that there were four movies so figured it would definitely have a proper ending so started on it today.

Bit slow, heavily stylised, some quirky funny moments but then some absolutely banging swordplay in the last couple of fights.

really liked this and hope the remaining three are of an equal or better standard.

Parasite (2020)

image.png.566358936f5a8a78bde0bde7bb188f4e.png

I watched this in the cinema last year, just before Covid, and thought it was brilliant at the time. Re-watching it at home on a 4K Blu-Ray, it is an astonishingly good-looking film, and no mistake - more or less every frame could be a postcard.

As for the story, watching it a second time, especially after having watched a couple of video essays about it, I think some of the metaphors and symbolism in it are a bit on the nose, but apart from that it's still pretty damn excellent - dramatic, funny and tragic. A worthy Best Picture winner.

4.5/5

Been on a Mads Mikkelsen kick over the past couple of weeks…

Another Round (2020)

Mads plays a history teacher who, along with a group of his work colleagues, decides to experiment with low-level alcohol consumption on a daily basis in order to increase his confidence and become more successful. Needless to say, things progress and get a little out of hand.

This was easily one of the best films I’ve seen in a long while. It’s funny, heartbreaking and has some really great performances. Written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who also directed the excellent ‘The Hunt’ (2012), which also had Mads Mikkelsen in the lead role.

5/5

Riders of Justice (2020)

Mads plays a soldier deployed overseas who has to return home when his wife dies in a tragic train accident. He gets approached by a man who says he was on the train with his wife at the time, and convinces him that it wasn’t an accident at all.

This was another absolute belter. It’s been sold as a black comedy, and it certainly has it’s funny moments, but it’s also a cracking thriller with some pretty hard hitting violence. The ensemble of off-kilter characters in this one is what really makes it shine though, brilliantly written, and a number of knockout performances.

5/5

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Been on a Mads Mikkelsen kick over the past couple of weeks…

Another Round (2020)

Mads plays a history teacher who, along with a group of his work colleagues, decides to experiment with low-level alcohol consumption on a daily basis in order to increase his confidence and become more successful. Needless to say, things progress and get a little out of hand.

This was easily one of the best films I’ve seen in a long while. It’s funny, heartbreaking and has some really great performances. Written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg, who also directed the excellent ‘The Hunt’ (2012), which also had Mads Mikkelsen in the lead role.

5/5

Riders of Justice (2020)

Mads plays a soldier deployed overseas who has to return home when his wife dies in a tragic train accident. He gets approached by a man who says he was on the train with his wife at the time, and convinces him that it wasn’t an accident at all.

This was another absolute belter. It’s been sold as a black comedy, and it certainly has it’s funny moments, but it’s also a cracking thriller with some pretty hard hitting violence. The ensemble of off-kilter characters in this one is what really makes it shine though, brilliantly written, and a number of knockout performances.

5/5

I need to check these out The Hunt has been on my list for years as well. 

Are they available on Netflix or amazon prime? 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I need to check these out The Hunt has been on my list for years as well. 

Are they available on Netflix or amazon prime? 

Both currently on their cinema release!

The Hunt is on Prime right now though, and it’s excelllent.

Schindler’s List

A strong candidate for the greatest movie of all time. It’s almost the anti-Spielberg movie as he films in a documentary style, stripping away almost all emotion. An insanely good ensemble cast are all at the peak of their powers and virtually every scene is as it happened. 

A must see masterpiece 

5/5

Ibiza Undead

yes I am back on my mission to watch every zombie flick ever made. ANd yes it means I watch a load of crap ones. And yes that includes this one

Deep breath

It is the Inbetweeners crossed with Shaun of the Dead if you took all of the positive features of both of them and removed them completely. The male gaze stuff is regressive and is pretty terrible and the empowerment of women is done in the most sexist way possible.

The comedy moments are almost non existent (I laughed once and I can't recall what the joke was*) and the tension/horror was poorly shot. The clubbing zombie scenes were badly shot with flashing lights making it hard to see anything and the daylight stuff just looked flat and uninspired

The film is amateurish but looks like it was shot with some competence, just enough to make it look better than a home movie.

Cast were variable, the three guys were trying to be the inbetweeners and failing and the girls were mostly badly written.

It ran for 87 minutes and felt twice as long as The Dead Don't Die.

1/5

I need to see a decent zombie film - checking the cast of this I note an ITV 6 part tv series called Zomboat so I'm trying that next!

*I remember what made me laugh it was a scene near the end with a chirpy beach cocktail bar man.

Nobody

Can't remember the last time I was so solidly entertained for 90 minutes straight. So much fun and unashamedly so. Enjoyed it way more than John Wick, mostly down to Odenkirk. Perfect casting and a great supporting cast.

Am gonna watch this again tomorrow with my eldest. He's 13, he's gonna love it. You will too. 

5/5

Just found out I can use Virgin miles at my local Odeon, so will prob use some to go see Nobody.

We saw Old this evening.

I'm a bit of a sucker for Shyamalan (Midnight Shalamar as my missus calls him lol), so I was pretty much in on the high concept from the start, which turned out to be pretty thought provoking.  Some dodgy performances but some good ones too.  Ending wasn't quite as OMG as some of his other movies.  And M.Night still needs to hand his ideas over to a scriptwriter.  Definite student movie vibes, for better and worse.

3.5/5

Black Widow. 

Just terrible. All the maturity and intrigue of a Saturday morning kids cartoon. And a bad one at that. And way too many arse shots, felt weirdly pervy at times. 

Why do people love this Marvel garbage so much? It's painful. Overacted, terrible gags, lame fight and action scenes. So predictable. It clearly costs a lot of time and effort to make, but jesus. Its basicaf.

1/5

The Tomorrow War (2021)

The phrase "dumb action movie" is pretty much a cliche these days, but like all cliches they are useful, especially here because this film had the potential to tell a compelling story, and it squanders it in the dumbest ways. Some effort is made to build a believable scenario, albeit one with the usual plot holes associated with time travel tales. There is a bit of tense action although the majority of it is of the whiz-bang CGI-heavy scale-over-watchability variety. A fair proportion of the plot revolves around a mawkish family drama about An Ordinary Guy Who Just Happens To Be Ex-Army and all that tripe. In fact anything redeemable here is drowned out by the obvious. There was some potential to make a statement about how stupid we are as a species, how we think we know best, but again they go for the crowd-pleasing. And of course every problem can be solved with either science or guns. If you're feeling in the mood for an undemanding action film that makes absolutely no attempt to try something new or answer its own questions then knock yourself out.

2.5/5

I've written that many of these I reckon I've done that "dumb action movie cliche" intro before. But who cares!

The Standoff at Sparrow Creek

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5304996/

A former cop-turned-militia man investigates a shooting at a police funeral.

This opens with a guy eating alone, he hears gun shots and explosions in the distance. He immediately heads to an isolated militia compound where him and the rest of the militia members conclude one of their members is responsible for attacking a cop funeral. So they lock themselves in the compound, that's full of weapons and explosives, and interrogate each other to work out who the guilty one is.

I thought this was really impressive. It's tense as hell as the militia turn on each other and slowly eliminate suspects. The small cast are excellent and is full of faces you'd recognise from small roles in other films. It reminded me of a ton of other films like Reservoir Dogs or The Thing - a group of guys stuck in a location trying to work out who has betrayed them. It clocks in under 90 minutes and has a very satisfying ending. 

A really solid thriller from a director to watch out for.

4/5

The Thomas Crown Affair

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155267/

A very rich and successful playboy amuses himself by stealing artwork, but may have met his match in a seductive detective.

This is one that I've been meaning to watch for years but I never got round to it. Finally watched it last week and it didn't really land for me. It was well made and the two leads are fine but I couldn't warm to it. There was a smugness to it I didn't like and the whole thing was a bit silly - the NYPD commit an insane amount of detectives to investigate a single painting that was stolen. And the ratio of romance to heist scenes was totally wrong - we seen to spend half the film on dates with the main characters.

From Pierce Brosnan, Rene Russo and the director of Die Hard and Predator I expected a lot more. 

2.5/5

Edited by Silent Runner

Dunkirk (2017)

image.png.d635178fc65735e7e3b30185d8296f95.png

I watched this when it first came out at the cinema and remember being a little cold on it, for some reason. I just watched it again this evening in 4K and now think it's amazing. Some of the shots are incredible, but the real star is the audio. The constant ticking of the clock, almost literally all the way through the film, along with the Zimmer strings and drones, make the tension palpable. I enjoyed it so much that, once it had finished, I sat and watched all the Making Of features as well, which were longer than the film itself, but still really interesting.

Excellent.

5/5

The Kid Detective

Really enjoyed this. Starts all quirky and playful and almost sickly nostalgic but over the 90 minutes the comedy gives way to a darker mood. It packs a lot in, produces some genuine giggles and has some genuine twists and surprises too.

Adam Broody is great as the lead. I’m not sure what he’s been doing since the OC but his career seems to mirror the narrative pretty well. 

It’s been criticised by some reviewers for trying to do too much but I reckon it gets away with it. Great directing debut by Evan Morgan.

Thief (1981)

Michael Mann’s debut, that somehow I’ve never watched until this week, and its really quite special. 

Set-up as the usual ‘one more job then I’m going straight’ schtick. But with Mann directing and James Caan in his prime supported by a great cast they pull off something special. Well realised characters, fast paced and full of tension. Great soundtrack too.

I’m glad I finally got to watch it. 

I married a Witch (1942)

I love this film. I rediscovered it when finally sorting through my film collection.

The film follows Jennifer the Witch who is about to be burnt at the stake, but first puts a curse on future generations of her accuser.

When she comes back a few hundred years later she decides to inflict more pain by making one of the descendants fall in love with her. Japes and high jinks follow ;)

Veronica Lake in the lead role is spellbinding (pun intended). The film is so of its time; a simple, funny, charming feel good movie. The effects are very impressive too. If you aren’t a fan of the era this film probably won’t convert you, but if you are it’s worth hunting down. 

The Scary of Sixty-First - ****

Spoiler

It's like a modern giallo. Very tongue in cheek. Really loved the whole tone of it, and some of the overacting "damsel in distress" flourishes from the investigator were really good. Just her head constantly wobbling around when she walks and stuff. Fabulous.
It's definitely gonna be a marmite film, I think.

10 Minutes Gone (2019)

Marking another notch in the downward slide of Bruce Willis' career, this is a very generic, cheap and tedious crime caper with the usual job-gone-bad plot. Michael Chiklis does all the heavy lifting whilst Willis mainly stands in a hotel suite growling into a mobile phone (apparently they shot all his scenes bar the final one in his actual hotel suite, now that's lazy). It was clear Willis didn't want to be there, he puts zero effort into the role, in fact you can see the pain he's going through doing this. There was a point where I just wanted everyone to shoot everyone else and be done with it. And it's one of those cheap action films where a shoot-out is a montage of people shooting but you never see what at. Boring and pointless.

1/5

JOLT - Amazon prime

Kate Beckinsale plays her Underworld character in a John Wick esq thing. Watchable but throwaway nonsense, zero brain engagement required.

2/5

Nobody

Rented this on Prime Video and it's ace. It basically feels like John Wick did before the sequels started to lose the simple brilliance of the first film. It's as least as good as Wick 1 and maybe better. And it's genuinely funny in places despite having lots of violence and some pretty nasty bad guys. Try not to take it too seriously and it's worthwhile.

5/5

Spiral

Saw spin-off that is absolutely just another Saw film. It's a big bag of shit and exactly what I was looking for. Chris Rock isn't good in it, SLJ isn't good in it, and it's all silly.

2/5 (but if you want one of these, it's 100% one of these.)

Nobody

Plenty of fun. These films tend to need a few moments that make me do a little snort at the ridiculousness, and this had enough of them. Odenkirk is great, and surprisingly believable. They've built just enough lore to justify sequels, which I'd watch, but it stands just fine on its own. Most notably, Hutch, the main character, never does anything to frustrate the viewer or make his character inconsistent, which is often done to generate peril in other films.

3.5/5