Rate the last film you watched out of 5

5 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

I was just thinking about this one. Thank you for finding it!

My brother mentioned it to me the other week, we both had memories of seeing it on the telly as teenagers, and certain bits brought it all back, especially the helicopter.

Southern Comfort

Can't beat a bit of Walter Hill but for some reason this has always evaded me until I discovered it was on Prime yesterday. The acting is...well, I suppose you could call it acting.  I mean, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward and Carradine do a reasonable job with the script which...I suppose you could call a script. The others, not so much.  Nice bonus appearance by Billy from Predator though. The real stars of the show are the swamp and the palpable sense of dread.  Those two things carry the film and actually make it pretty damned enjoyable. 

It's basically Dads Army in the bayou.

Need to see if I can find Deliverance streaming anywhere.  That's another one I've never got around to.

3.5/5

8 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Southern Comfort

Can't beat a bit of Walter Hill but for some reason this has always evaded me until I discovered it was on Prime yesterday. The acting is...well, I suppose you could call it acting.  I mean, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward and Carradine do a reasonable job with the script which...I suppose you could call a script. The others, not so much.  Nice bonus appearance by Billy from Predator though. The real stars of the show are the swamp and the palpable sense of dread.  Those two things carry the film and actually make it pretty damned enjoyable. 

It's basically Dads Army in the bayou.

Need to see if I can find Deliverance streaming anywhere.  That's another one I've never got around to.

3.5/5

Deliverance is great. It's a shame pop culture has basically boiled it town to the duelling banjos and "seqeeeeal, piggy" because once it gets going it's a superb thriller.

Bloodshot - 2/5

At times visually stylish but just so humourless. As a result a mildly interesting idea gets bogged down in gloopy, by-the-numbers action.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 3/5

Feels right tonally, with Jim Carrey on fine form. Not groundbreaking, but remarkable for being a film based on a video game that manages to be competent, and even pretty entertaining. A surprisingly enjoyable, undemanding romp.

(both watched on NOWTV/Sky Cinema)

I've watched a couple of films over the last week.  Mainly bad times at the el Royale and ruthless people.  I hadn't seen the first at all and the second in probably 20 years but both appeared on disney plus.

In isolation I liked both but watching ruthless people after el royale.  I'm of the opinion that modern films are very flabby.  El royale was nearly an hour longer and I can't say it was a better film for it.  In general there seems to be a push towards longer is better for no reason other than its there an people are forced to sit though it.

You know de vito is a sleaze and what's happening in ruthless people in under 10 minutes.  The first scene alone in el royale is the best part of 20 mins and nothing is explained.  

I'd rate both 3.5 out of 5 but pushed on what is rather watch again I'd rather watch ruthless people, as its lean at 85 mins and you can get it in before bedtime.  Maybe it's just my age....

Mindhorn

I liked this very much.  Being of a certain vintage where one recalls the sorts of cheesy TV shows it's aping, being a fan of the Boosh gang, Coogan et al, and also being from the Isle of Man, I'm pretty much the perfect audience for this film.  It was never laugh out loud funny, rather, gently and consistently amusing throughout and with good performances all round.

Also, a friend of mine popped up as an extra so it gets a bonus .1 for that.

4.1/5

Deadly Blessing

I'd never heard of this Wes Craven horror film until recently. It's an odd movie, kind of has a Giallo feel to it, mainly because the plot seems a little all over the place but not to the film's total detriment. There's a killer with a knife on the loose and like the best Argento films, the suspect list is a long one. But there may or may not be a supernatural element as well. Some very effective tension building and jump scares, perhaps some of the best I've seen in a Craven movie.

3.5 out of 5

Ghost In The Shell (2017)

I've not watched the original so my opinion is based entirely on this film, and whilst it looks absolutely stunning I couldn't help but feel there was something missing. It's like an artier Robocop with themes of humans in robotic bodies, albeit with more pop philosophy thrown in. There was food for thought around what possibilities body enhancement would have but it gets pulled down to the basics of being able to fight well and all that, a bit more grounded perhaps. Enough visual bling and pace to mask the underdone plot, it almost felt like they'd held back somewhat in a bid to keep this commercially viable. It would be so good to see an off-the-hook cyberpunk film where the imagination just flies and isn't chained to standard expectations. Made me want to check the original out.

3/5

Galaxy Quest

Can't believe I'd never seen this before. It's fucking hilarious, and I spent the first third of the film basically doing this ...

image.png.6a0b11a442d0f4825a94b47f5ff92879.png

... after spotting all the actors who have been in other shows and movies. It also took this film for me to realise that this guy:

image.thumb.png.c352feff5ea64a6b913a8e6cfac7e7e6.png

Is also this guy:

image.png.b43f33e7264782d2e5e235b2e4e8a231.png

Anyway, really enjoyable comedy.

4/5

After the utterly dire Guardians of the galaxy 2 it took me a while to work up enthusiasm for the next MCU film, despite the words of encouragement here

Thor: Ragnarok

They fixed Thor! The ponderous stultifyingly dull stodge of the Thor films is utterly blown away by this. It takes a mix of skewering the character perfectly, lively action, irreverent characters and sprinkles on a touch of the Mythos that dragged down the previous films. Utterly delightly end result.

Goldblum is magnificent, Blanchett is superb and Hopkins! After two films of wasting him utterly here he is used perfectly and is a Tour de Force. More emotional heft in his scenes than all the other films put together.

And finally it trounced Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on its home turf - use of "pop culture" songs. After the horribly misused tracks in that film Thor Ragnarok uses just one and uses it utterly brilliantly *chefs kiss*

4/5

(yeah ok it drops one point for being a smidge too long due to a slight sag in the middle in Sakaara ok! but it is up there with the first two Captain America films in "MCU films I'd watch again")

On 25/02/2021 at 12:57, Ry said:

I remember taking my dad to see it at the cinema and enjoyed it. It got pretty poor reviews at the time but. It looked at favourably these days. 

The stories regarding production and the budget getting insane plus the making of are fascinating. 

Yeah I remember reading once that the first cut was considered to be unwatchable, so they brought Michael Crichton himself in to rescript and reshoot and it ended up costing the studio an absolute fortune.

29 minutes ago, Clipper said:

4/5

(yeah ok it drops one point for being a smidge too long due to a slight sag in the middle in Sakaara ok! but it is up there with the first two Captain America films in "MCU films I'd watch again")

I watched it the other night as well & loved it.  Genuine LOL moment when Banner jumped out of the spaceship to fight the giant Dog/Wolf thing and splatted onto the Bifrost.:lol:

40 minutes ago, Clipper said:

And finally it trounced Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on its home turf - use of "pop culture" songs. After the horribly misused tracks in that film Thor Ragnarok uses just one and uses it utterly brilliantly *chefs kiss*

In retrospect, what I think would have improved the film's use of Immigrant Song is if for the version in the opening action sequence, they'd got Mark Mothersbaugh to arrange a bespoke instrumental version just for the movie, to fit in with his score. To those who don't know the original song, it'd just be a great action scene score; everyone else would think: "This makes a great soundtrack for an action scene!... Shame they obviously couldn't get the rights to use the real thing."

Then when the original Led Zeppelin studio recording kicks in at the end, it would have even more impact thanks to the recognition that this time it's the original version. (And as a bonus, a brand new orchestral cover version of the song would be available to listen to on the OST!)

I'm just not a fan of movies featuring exactly the same recording of a piece of music twice! If you're going to repeat a bit of music more than once (either score or licenced music), ideally they should be different recordings with slightly different arrangements - unless it's absolutely got to be exactly the same recording, e.g for intentional thematic reasons.

Wonder Woman 

We've never really watched any DC films, for some reason. Just don't really like Batman or Superman, really. Only watched this to stop the night being endless scrolling through various streaming services. 

Really enjoyed this. A proper, slightly cheesy, superhero film. Slightly dodgy cgi in places, but nothing too bad. 

Just lots a fun and thoroughly entertaining. 

4/5

8 hours ago, Nick R said:

In retrospect, what I think would have improved the film's use of Immigrant Song is if for the version in the opening action sequence, they'd got Mark Mothersbaugh to arrange a bespoke instrumental version just for the movie, to fit in with his score. To those who don't know the original song, it'd just be a great action scene score; everyone else would think: "This makes a great soundtrack for an action scene!... Shame they obviously couldn't get the rights to use the real thing."

Then when the original Led Zeppelin studio recording kicks in at the end, it would have even more impact thanks to the recognition that this time it's the original version. (And as a bonus, a brand new orchestral cover version of the song would be available to listen to on the OST!)

I'm just not a fan of movies featuring exactly the same recording of a piece of music twice! If you're going to repeat a bit of music more than once (either score or licenced music), ideally they should be different recordings with slightly different arrangements - unless it's absolutely got to be exactly the same recording, e.g for intentional thematic reasons.

I nearly agree with you and can see how instrumental earlier would work - and I agree that using the same piece of pop culture music twice doesn't normally work.

However I like it because it is cheesy to use it twice and the film is cheesy/camp and the film almost "earns it"! I can't explain it very well but, for me, the first use I thought "yeah cool use of a song" and the 2nd time it triggered  a more visceral response of a callback and on that  2nd use it triggered a response of "fuck yeah".

It helps that I have always loved that song and the punch of the opening riff is perfect - and it almost sold me the film instantly. the film opens with Thor in the cell etc and I just thought "ok so he is here now, this is the cliche of a film teasing you with what happened to our hero now it will rewind and it will be a card saying 5 days previous etc" . Instead we get some smart monologue to make you think they will do that, then the rug gets pulled from under you and then it smacks you in the face with that riff.

The reason I am being mean to GotG2 use of music (and in general) is it also opens with one of my favourites pieces of music and I hated the way they used it, it felt flat and uninspiring because it didn't gel with the use of muisic. Wasting "Mr Blue Sky" is unforgivable.

10 hours ago, Clipper said:

They fixed Thor! The ponderous stultifyingly dull stodge of the Thor films is utterly blown away by this. It takes a mix of skewering the character perfectly, lively action, irreverent characters and sprinkles on a touch of the Mythos that dragged down the previous films. Utterly delightly end result.

Goldblum is magnificent, Blanchett is superb and Hopkins! After two films of wasting him utterly here he is used perfectly and is a Tour de Force. More emotional heft in his scenes than all the other films put together.

4/5

Hurrah!! I’m glad you liked it :D

34 minutes ago, dino_jr said:

Capone (Netflix)

Tom Hardy is Al Capone in his dying years. Nothing happens. Ultra dull yet rated 18. Avoid.

1/5

Also Hardy just looks like a giant version of the (blatantly antisemitic) goblins from Harry Potter.

On 27/02/2021 at 00:09, Vimster said:

Holocaust 2000 (1977)

Pretty blatant UK/Italian rip-off of The Omen with Kirk Douglas taking on the Gregory Peck role. He wants to build a state-of-the-art nuclear plant with the help of his son Angel, but things aren't running smoothly, not least because Angel may very well be the antichrist. They make little effort to hide the fact they're ripping off The Omen: English setting, set-piece deaths (although not nearly as well handled; mind you, the helicopter bit is still effective), ageing Hollywood actor, a bit where someone won't go near a church. It's somewhat uneven, takes bloody ages to get to the point, slapped together and a bit disjointed, yet is a fair stab at the inspiration, but I guess that's the point, I suppose. Kirk Douglas makes this watchable, puts the effort into the role. However, it's impossible not to feel a bit ill when he's making love to a woman half his age. It has that 70s Italian look and feel, and a superb Ennio Morricone soundtrack to boot.

2.5/5

the guy in the thumbnail played the bad guy in Jewel In The Nile...

Scorcerer (1977) 5/5

William Friedkin, coming off the back of The French Connection and The Exorcist, creates this nerve shreddingly tense remake of The Wages of Fear starring Roy Scheider. It tells the story of four men from different parts of the world hiding in a remote South American town who are offered enough money to start a new life if they are willing to do one very dangerous job for the local oil firm.

Apparently it was both a commercial and critical flop when it came out, but to me it's a bit of a lost gem of 70s American film making. I think it falls a little short of his two earlier films but is certainly better than what he went on to make.

I would strongly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of American New Wave, and it certainly deserves to be better known than it is. The version online has clearly been lovingly remastered because it looks and sounds great, and has a cool synth soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

It’s a stunning movie - frame for frame one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen I think.

I don’t know why it acquired a bad rep, it’s almost as good as the original in my view.

The Favourite 

Never got round to watching but now it’s on Starz on D+ thought we’d give it a go. I can see why it was well received although it’s a lot weirder than I expected it to be! It’s described as a dark comedy which I find a bit odd. It definitely has plenty of dark humour in it but it’s not really a comedy. 

Pretty amazing performances from the three leads and it looked phenomenal with some really unusual and effective shots. 

4.5/5

Bone Tomahawk

I'd been looking forward to this, as it seems almost universally praised. As so many have said, the violence and performances absolutely deliver, but it could have lost about 50 minutes of desert hobbling and I wouldn't have minded.

It's Fellowship levels of watching people walk, for a long old time. So much dreariness contrasted with some genuinely good sections.

3/5

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar

Even though it's about a 50% hit rate, I'll watch most Kristen Wiig things. This one's odd. I couldn't entirely tell who it was for: nostalgic middle-agers, snarky people who don't like that group, or kids. I'm not sure it serves any group incredibly well.

It's certainly sillier and more surreal than I'd expected, but it's a Will Ferrell Production. So go into it expecting his level of non-sequitur giddiness.

2.5/5

Legends of the Fall

Another  western epic melodrama. I could watch Anthony Hopkins snap at people all day (in fact I might re-watch Bounty at some point since that's pretty much all he does in that movie). Fucking mental though, Brad Pitt (presumably this made him a megastar if he wasn't already) goes pure radge and starts scalping dudes in World War 1 and nobody seems especially concerned about it. Probably has the most long shots of people reacting to other people arriving than any movie ever. Tiny john woo shootout at the end :lol: 

My second favorite collaboration between Hopkins and Bart The Bear.

4/5