rllmuk
Raoull duke

Rate the last film you watched out of 5

2 hours ago, Orion said:

The lead Won Bin was set for mega stardom in South Korea after this. He hasn't done anything since, almost 10 years later. He has just done high paying TV adverts every year in SK instead of any acting roles. 

That’s such a shame. Do you know if the director went on to anything else worth watching?

Judy - 2/5. My other half wanted to go see this. It doesn't help that I can't stand Renee Zellweger, but the film itself glosses over large parts of Judy Garland's life and focuses on her last year. It's overly mawkish and not very good in general. Watch Stan And Ollie instead.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bazjam said:

That’s such a shame. Do you know if the director went on to anything else worth watching?

His earlier film Cruel Winter Blues is pretty good. I thought No Tears For the Dead which he released after The Man From Nowhere was poor. It mega flopped in SK too which set him back alot. I've not seen his police film from earlier this year but it didn't have very good reviews. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, The Dawning Rage is pretty mediocre. I wouldn't go out of your way to see it.

I took my daughter to see his Doraemon movie and quite enjoyed that, though. :lol:

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Judy - 2/5. My other half wanted to go see this. It doesn't help that I can't stand Renee Zellweger, but the film itself glosses over large parts of Judy Garland's life and focuses on her last year. It's overly mawkish and not very good in general. Watch Stan And Ollie instead.

I’d maybe give it a 3 on account of Renee Zellweger’s great performance and wonderful singing voice but yes, I agree with your assessment here - mawkish doesn’t even begin to describe it. The only thing missing at the end was Judy sprouting angel wings and ascending to heaven.

Stan and Ollie is indeed the better movie and Judy really suffers by comparison. 

On 05/10/2019 at 11:14, Popo said:

I’d maybe give it a 3 on account of Renee Zellweger’s great performance and wonderful singing voice but yes, I agree with your assessment here - mawkish doesn’t even begin to describe it. The only thing missing at the end was Judy sprouting angel wings and ascending to heaven.

Stan and Ollie is indeed the better movie and Judy really suffers by comparison. 

Yes, I winced at the start when I saw the certificate was a 12. To be fair Zellweger was terrific but the kids glove treatment let this down badly. For such an interesting character this was strangely lacking in drama. 

Renee whatsherface is the only actor I refuse to watch in anything

anyhoo...

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

A geat first half, but things get a little too silly in the second. 

2.5/5

Rambo: Last Blood - 2/5

Hoped John Rambo might get a swansong like Rocky has in recent years... but he doesn’t. Completely misses the mark on what made First Blood good.

La La Land

“And a 5,6,7,8” out of 5

its a musical. Entirely uncool, maybe even a little smug, but with such conviction.

• Upvote 1

Bohemian Rhapsody

I don't have a flipping' clue about the history of Queen, and have never listened to any of their albums, so only know of their hit singles via their continued ubiquity. Even so, I could tell that this film had very few grains of truth in it. It was rock biopic cliche after cliche, a series of contrived events, with some of the most un-naturalistic dialogue I've heard in years. I don't expect genuine historical accuracy in rock biopics, understanding how practically speaking that is impossible, but a film like Anton Corbijn's Control (admittedly not a perfect film either) shows how a semi-fictionalised version of an influential rock band's history can still be a compelling story and come across as somewhat believable. This... wasn't. Even as someone who admittedly has never enjoyed the band's music, I do think it a shame that the film-makers squandered what could've been source material for a decent rock biopic.

1.5/5.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Bohemian Rhapsody

I don't have a flipping' clue about the history of Queen, and have never listened to any of their albums, so only know of their hit singles via their continued ubiquity. Even so, I could tell that this film had very few grains of truth in it. It was rock biopic cliche after cliche, a series of contrived events, with some of the most un-naturalistic dialogue I've heard in years. I don't expect genuine historical accuracy in rock biopics, understanding how practically speaking that is impossible, but a film like Anton Corbijn's Control (admittedly not a perfect film either) shows how a semi-fictionalised version of an influential rock band's history can still be a compelling story and come across as somewhat believable. This... wasn't. Even as someone who admittedly has never enjoyed the band's music, I do think it a shame that the film-makers squandered what could've been source material for a decent rock biopic.

1.5/5.

Perfectly summed it up for me!

• Upvote 1

Jumanji

The original with Robin Williams and way better than the surprisingly fun remake - this has far more charm than the more recent version and was a really nice family movie night.

3.5/5

Couple's Retreat

I just hated this - the characters are all so incredibly unlikeable, the plot seems totally fake and laughs were few and far between.  Really not my cup of tea.  The beach etc looked rather nice though.

2/5

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Not quite as good as I remember, but still pretty decent.

3.5/5

The Ritual

Not an original bone in its body ripping off everything from Blair witch to Wicker Man to video games. Still, who cares when the end result is this good.

4/5

On 06/10/2019 at 15:35, SeanR said:

La La Land

“And a 5,6,7,8” out of 5

its a musical. Entirely uncool, maybe even a little smug, but with such conviction.

La La Land is the only musical I've ever enjoyed. Probably because it's something of an anti-musical. 

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

La La Land is the only musical I've ever enjoyed. Probably because it's something of an anti-musical. 

Do you mean an anti-musical in terms of the sentiment of its ending?

Just recently discovered the "Harmy Despecialized Editions" Star Wars movies....

Wow.

All pointless extra bits removed and restored to the original as close as possible. Turns out there are a ton of contributors, many of whom remained anonymous (industry folks maybe?), and a massive job. I honestly don't know where I've been that I've missed these. We watched the original Star Wars last night and it was so massively enjoyable. Pacey and fun, it even looks much better too. It's been so long since I've seen it. Amazing. 5 out of 5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Do you mean an anti-musical in terms of the sentiment of its ending?

That's part of it but I think it purposefully foregrounds and subverts the form's conventions, and even pokes fun at them. But beyond that it is just a cracking film.

Spirited Away - 4/5

I think this was probably my third or fourth viewing and I like it more each time. The animation is amazing, obviously. The music is wonderful. The sentiment heartfelt. The whole thing is so far removed from reality, despite making observations on it. But there’s a lot going on and in places I struggle to take it all in and make sense of it (falling asleep didn’t help). 

• Upvote 1

Jupiter Ascending

halfway/5

thought it was valerian and the city of a thousand planets... :facepalm:

Edited by SeanR

On 05/10/2019 at 14:56, Monkeyboy said:

The Hidden - 4/5

Brilliant eighties sci-fi thriller/buddy cop movie starring Kyle MacLachlan.

Where and how did you get a hold of this. It was one of my favourites on VHS back in those days.