Rate the last film you watched out of 5

BLACKWAY

Utter dirge, a terrible "thriller" and a total waste of the acting talent involved (which includes Stiles, Hopkins and Liotta). Just awful, cant think of a single redeeming feature.

0/5

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

This, on the other hand, is just about perfect. Cruise is so suited to the role of Hunt that its little surprise that he has made it his signature role. De Palma directs with such confidence and aplomb. A great supporting cast help cement what is the perfect action thriller.

5/5

WolfWalkers

Animated movie from the 'Songs of the sea' team, starring the voice of Sean Bean! It's a nice movie, looks great and has a good heart. It's ok.

3/5

Tenet

Tried to watch this twice now. I've watch all Nolan's work before and mostly really enjoyed everything he has worked on minus the third Batman movie. I just can't watch this, tried twice now and I only get to about the 20 minute mark. It's just painstakingly dull and not helped by the awful sound mix. I just can't do it.

TBA

3 hours ago, klargon said:

The Midnight Sky

1/5

Fuck me.

It's not just me then? I hated Gravity and I know others loved it so fully expected The Midnight Sky to win people over with its gloss and space prettiness. It's more boring than Gravity but as shallow. 

The Midnight Sky is also a lot more derivative and mawkish sure. 

I'm finding this year all the 2020 released films I expect to like I don't and all the films I expect to dislike I really enjoy and find engaging. Some things just aren't well written and I'm past pretending to myself they're worthwhile. 

also I gave it 1/10

I thought gravity was decent enough when I watched it in the cinema, but it’s not something I’ve been drawn back to. I’m usually a sucker for sci-fi, but I struggled to find anything redeeming about the midnight sky. Some of the writing seemed pretty poor, exacerbated by fairly terrible acting at times by the fringe characters. The plot felt fairly empty and trudged along at a snails pace towards an unsatisfying conclusion. Even if it was a lot leaner (and there are many opportunities to make it so) I still don’t think it would be a very engaging film.

Silent Night (2012)

Who is the killer Santa terrorising a small town, murdering the residents in very festive ways? The local police department are on the case. Straightforward, nasty in the right way, the murders are suitably seasonal and grisly, the various sleazy, corrupt and downright dodgy victims dying off with little downtime, all done with a pinch of dark humour. Malcolm McDowell weirdly has a job holding the accent down. The way the story resolves felt a bit tacked-on, but generally this was an entertaining Christmas horror with just enough mean-spiritedness to elicit a wry smile.

3/5

Shotgun (1989)

Early effort from PM Entertainment. If you wanted to make a total homage to this era of films you could do no worse than crib from this. It would fill a bingo card of maverick-cop cliches, everything from personal tragedy, getting drunk with partner, rubbing Internal Affairs up the wrong way for being too goddamn hardcore, then being thrown off the force. Add in the perfect theme tune that comes in when shit gets real. You've seen it all before but this, for all it's ropiness (PM hadn't quite got into their production stride by the point) and lack of creativity makes up for it by doing that one simple thing well. It's by no means perfect, the baddie is a bit crap. One for those who want something reassuringly familiar.

4/5

Wolfwalkers (2020)

New animated feature from Cartoon Saloon about a pack of wolves living in the forests of Kilkenny lead by the Wolfwalkers, a girl and her mother who can transform their spirits into a wolf. The girl forms a friendship with an English girl living in the town during English occupation and she in turn becomes a Wolfwalker (this is all in the trailer) 

This movie is just utterly stunning. The animation and music is excellent and the story is really great. Cartoon Saloons style of animation is so different to pretty much all other animated features out there, it's really unique and lovely. Its this 2D hand drawn effect with painted backgrounds.

Anyway, it was a really great movie, check it out, its on Apple TV.

4/5

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (2019)

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand it's nice to be able to spend some time with a couple of characters I've enjoyed watching since the original Clerks came out far too long ago. And yet it's clear from this Kevin Smith is out of ideas, re-rehashing things to the max, pulling everything from the previous films to create something sort-of new. Anyone who had never seen a film with Jay and Silent Bob in would not understand a quarter of this. That's not to say this was bad, no, it had that Kevin Smith flow, the cultural references, the cameos, and some genuinely funny moments. The self-referential bits got way too much towards the end, yes Kev we get it, you made a few turkeys. It certainly flirted with self-indulgence, occasionally crossing the line. Only for us old 'uns who have watched all those old Kevin Smith films down the years.

2/5

Wonder Wonder 1984 (2020)

2.5hrs this was and I was bored throughout the whole thing. As someone who really enjoyed the first WW, how the did the same people drop the ball so much on this?

The Steve Trevor stuff added nothing to Diana's character, the main bad guy is awful, what are his motives, what is he trying to achieve? The less said about Kristin Wiigs role the better. Are we not past the geeky woman takes off her glasses and now she's hot phase yet? The writing around her character is lazy as fuck. The CGI on her later in the film was bad too. Infact the CGI throughout was ropey and the way Diana moved at times was really jarring.

The whole thing is just so dull.

Oh and why is this set in the 80s when there's about three 80s references throughout the whole thing? There's not one single song from the 80s in the whole thing. Setting it in the 80s serves nothing other than the Cold War stuff near the end.

1/5

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain

Recommended to me by @ImmaculateClump and recommended by me to you.

A noted influence on Big Trouble In Little China, I'd never actually seen it before though I'm familiar with a few other things by Tsui Hark. I've been buzzing off classic Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee of late, and this is a real change of pace and tone. It's kind of hard to follow at first because it's so manic, but once I stopped trying to put all the characters and events in context and just went with whatever chaos was happening on screen, it was a hell of a lot of fun. It's very fantastical, lots of wire work and dated but charming special effects. Yuen Biao is typically great, as is Sammo Hung, but everyone seems to be having a ball. It reminds me a bit of Chinese Ghost Story but much more full on. Well recommended if you can find it on streaming services. One of the most fun, unique martial arts films I've seen in the past couple of months.

I got the Harry Potter 4k box set for xmas, so of course I am going to be making my way through these now:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Just as magical as I remember (it's bean years since I sat down and watched one of these), though effects have surprisingly aged ... of course, it's been twenty fucking years. Still, this was wonderful beginning to what I know to be a magical journey. :)

4/5

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Far better than I remember! I truly triumphant sequel with everyone involved clearly more confident on the back of the success of the first film. Also, this just a genuinely good film in its own right. Who doesn't love a mystery to be solved? :D

4/5

Unhinged (2020)

After a a slow start, well, the plot does get stuck in traffic for a while, this gets pretty nasty. Russell Crowe plays a raging fella with nothing to lose, you won't like him when he's angry. Once he turns up at that diner it goes off properly. Coming in under 90 minutes helps keep the tension up. Has one of the most spectacular 'useless cop' moments in this sort of thriller. Okay, so the victim could have avoided all that grief by changing lanes, but where's the fun in that?

4/5

6 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Wonder Wonder 1984 (2020)

There's not one single song from the 80s in the whole thing.

1/5

Whilst I agree with most of your points, I could have sworn I heard Frankie - Relax as I sat not particularly enjoying it

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

Class of 1984

Damn, this was good. A fantastic slice of eighties exploitation. As things escalated to a crazy final twenty minutes, I guessed what might happen. And it did happen. It was brutal, hilarious, shocking. And awesome.

4 out of 5

This review actually works remarkably well  for Class of 1999.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

Class of 1984

I haven't seen that one but I did see "class of 1999" when I was little, which was absolutely ludicrous. Mothers and sons fighting over drugs, robot teachers using rocket launchers to discipline the assault rifle toting children.
Utter shit. Fantastic.
Lent it to my friend down the road before it had to go back to the video shop and I said "what did you think of that then?"
and he goes "my dad said it was a little far fetched"
Still makes me laugh :D

3 hours ago, Marlew said:

Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain

Recommended to me by @ImmaculateClump and recommended by me to you.

Aaaay! Glad you like it! I haven't seen it since I was a nipper, I'll have to track it down again, but I was sure you'd get a kick out of it!

Borderland

Takes one of Mexico's most creepy and violent true stories and turns it into a standard, much less interesting 'expedition gone wrong' slasher. But I love that genre, so that's ok. This one though? It's pretty bad, with most of the American actors delivering the worst lines in the worst ways. But Narcos' Damián Alcazar and Altered Carbon's Martha Higareda both but in a decent turn.

2/5

Wonder Woman 84

All pretty nonsensical, and the oil sheikh stereotypes were unwelcome. But I was watching it in the background, and it provided colourful-if-random background scenes. Though I also think that the Imagine video has rendered Gal Gadot unlikeable. Along with her personality-free acting.

2/5