rllmuk
Oaf

We're making a Deathtrap Dungeon game

We exhibited (well, plonked a few things on a table) at Fighting Fantasy Fest on Saturday. The response was overwhelming, especially with the kids who were really into playing the demo.

6B801CF0-FE5E-42DB-A564-91D88B3D3C16.jpeg

Got a pic with the man himself!

9BFC9EA2-4476-4521-AE5B-3D300CA69A71.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Completed filming last weekend, now we’ve got to edit 42 hours of video....

Here’s Ian, Eddie and the crew on set:

IMG_13Sep2019at182032.jpg

• Upvote 4

Been following this on Facebook as I'm a huge FF fan, and due to working with both Matt (briefly) and Ian at Antstream. 

Really excited to see how it turns out - is the dungeon going to be basically the same as the one in the book? 

I know not everyone loves  the Nomad Games adaptions (although Ian is a fan - he recommended them to me himself) but they do some good work with changing the structure of the quest to make it more in line with modern gaming conventions (i.e you won't necessarily screw yourself forever by taking one wrong decision). I imagine as you mentioned Bandersnatch, this is more of a standard "Choose Your Own Adventure" model of gameplay, with wrong moves rewarded with death and starting over? 

DD suffers more than most from “oh dear, you’re dead”, so we’re looking at various ways of implementing the “five finger bookmark”. From save points, to the ability to keep all your items and go back to any point you’ve visited in the game, we’re looking for something that’s fair but doesn’t spoil the game.

We’re working from the original book, with some minor changes in situations where it says “if you have the shield” etc - the game already knows.

There’s also an option to change the battle mechanics slightly, so it’s quicker for impatient customers :)

• Upvote 2

Recovering from EGX. The love for the game was overwhelming! We had a number of people who’d come to the show just to see our game, we had old gits like us, desperately trying to remember whether it was the left eye or the right which didn’t poison you, young kids, couples, groups, all playing the demo through to the end (about 20 mins).

Eddie Marsan came down on the Sunday, he’s really happy with it too which is a relief :)

December for PC, Mac, mobile and hopefully AppleTV; console in the new year.

2D242C8C-D511-4F6B-AB7A-671542E27A7E.jpeg

6AF6AD34-D9C3-47A5-BCF0-02D7A37EDA2A.jpeg

7437713E-77B8-4B06-9C05-A7E374D817B7.jpeg

6FAE1B3D-69E2-47F4-B819-3478894EFE9C.jpeg

• Upvote 4

Had no idea this thread existed but talk about timing!

Bought the book off Amazon at the start of the week and sat down with my son last night for about an hour and started to explore the dungeon with his 1st ever adventurer, Caleesa, who by all accounts is a giant coward. She refuses to open any doors or pick up anything, in case it's a trap.

Despite this reluctance to explore, she's already been skewered by flying splinters, fell into a deep pit and narrowly avoided by crushed by a rolling boulder. We left it last night, just after she managed to defeat her first foe, a Skeleton Warrior, which was absolutely wrecking her until the last few lucky rolls.

I'll admit that I loved these books when I was younger but seeing my son get buzzed off them is absolutely thrilling.

• Upvote 2

Met up with Eddie to do some re-shoots, and he did some promo videos for us. Here’s the first.

• Upvote 3

Feck, that took a lot of tweaking. Mind, tossing out the 3D and physics engines a week before release didn't help. Finally, it's done. Finished. Out the door. Only 62 more books to go!

http://branchingnarrative.com

Available for PC, Mac, iOS, Android, with console to come....

• Upvote 4

I only just saw this pop up on my Steam page late last night, because it came out of early access. I don't venture much into this subsection of the forum, in all honesty.

I bought it immediately from the concept alone and shilled it to a local group of classic RPG players I know before I even checked the forum - I was honestly surprised that, given the mild resurgence in FMV games and remakes along with visual novels, that nobody put them together with pen and paper RPGs already, to be honest.

I'm glad it was someone from rllmuk who's part of it, I'll be giving it a go today and I'm looking forward to more of this!

• Upvote 1

On 30/04/2020 at 16:25, Oaf said:

Feck, that took a lot of tweaking. Mind, tossing out the 3D and physics engines a week before release didn't help. Finally, it's done. Finished. Out the door. Only 62 more books to go!

bought! 

• Empathy 1

Bought this on iOS and streamed it to my TV last night with my 13 year old son. 

It is really well executed. The way the video plays in full screen alongside the UI works really well. Marsden does a decent job and I loved the sound effects and the integration of the original art-work. Loved the map too and a clever digital translation of the 'finger in the page' save system. 

Clearly a huge amount of effort has gone into it and I really hope it does well so you can make more. Presumably now the format and resources are there it should be slightly easier next time? I really loved the long intro at the beggining which really set the scene. I recall there were quite lengthy intros in the books which I assume this is a direct translation of but I think a combination of my 10 year old self skim reading and the narrators performance meant that it seemed longer on screen. A simple, really effective touch is the video still animating even when you're not doing anything with the narrator blinking always waiting for your response. So much better than video just stopping. 

Only thing was I chose the 'new' combat rules which finishes each combat after 3 rounds. It worked well and sped things up (possibly making it easier to get through too I'm guessing) but it feels a little weird when the combat just ends even after you get hit a few times. Would be interested to try again with the original rule set to see how it compares. Still works well though. As we have some devs @Oafhere...

1. Are the dice rolls completely random? I got really high numbers for my character without having to do any re-rolls. I was never that lucky 'back in the day!'.
  2. What was Marsden like to work with? I love it when he does a voice for a character. Did he know the gamebooks from when he was a kid?
  3. In the best case scenario would you like to make more? 

I hope it does really well for you as its a great piece of work. If you either fancy some nostalgia or just want a couple of hours of adventuring fun then I recommend it.

On 30/04/2020 at 16:25, Oaf said:

Oooh 3D and physics were tossed out for the iOS version? I'm very interested to see what form they took. Well done again (see above post!)

Thanks Yiggy! 

I tossed out the 3D and physics engines, and implemented different ones! So the mobile versions are identical to the PC version, apart from the skip and replay buttons, which I scaled up for sausage fingers :)

Now the engine is finished, it’ll be less effort to release versions of Ian’s other books. There are more planned, and Eddie’s up for narrating them as are other celebs....

The dice rolls are completely random, honest!

Eddie was a complete joy to work with. He’s such a nice guy, and he’s been helping promote the game. Most of the scenes were done in one take and his delivery is mesmerising.

Aside from FF titles we’ve some other projects in the works, which I’ll be shouting about soon hopefully!

Thanks for the kind words :)

• Upvote 3