rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RastanSaga

Retron Nes advice.

Hiyas x

Looking for a console that will play PAL Nes and NTSC-U NES but a scart connection to crt.

Is the retron the unit I'm looking for?

Thank you.

46 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

Hiyas x

Looking for a console that will play PAL Nes and NTSC-U NES but a scart connection to crt.

Is the retron the unit I'm looking for?

Thank you.

it will do the trick

i picked mine up for £19 in the game sale.

also has hdmi too. the pads are really nice and backwards compatible with the original nes. The only downside ive found is that my machine grips the carts ridiculously tightly

• Upvote 1

They stay on the shelf. I just find this handy when I want to play NTSC versions of my NES games. Plus it outputs an RGB signal which my stock NES doesn’t do, unless I mod it of course.

Hi guys..

Any ideas..

My retron just arrived....it plays in black and white with composite cables.

(I've also tried a different cable)

However, it plays everything in colour when the switch is changing to Ntsc.

Fine for my American games.

However, most of my pal games are optimized, so they won't run correctly.

Any ideas...

Thank you.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:51, ulala said:

i picked mine up for £19 in the game sale.

mine's still in the box from that sale.

Found my NES games though... all 5 of them, including Days of Thunder.

Spoiler

NR2LCUW.gif

Edited by SeanR

4 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

Hi guys..

Any ideas..

My retron just arrived....it plays in black and white with composite cables.

(I've also tried a different cable)

However, it plays everything in colour when the switch is changing to Ntsc.

Fine for my American games.

However, most of my pal games are optimized, so they won't run correctly.

Any ideas...

Thank you.

@Lorfarius

Any idea mate....

Have you tried it with an HDMI cable? It sounds like a classic PAL format problem where the video output isn't quite PAL and your TV can't display it (or it just doesn't know it's PAL). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Have you tried it with an HDMI cable? It sounds like a classic PAL format problem where the video output isn't quite PAL and your TV can't display it (or it just doesn't know it's PAL). 

I'll check it out with hdmi and report back - thank you.

It's a Sony trinitron 

However! It's fine with the hd cable on a hdtv.

I guess that is something.

Down the line, I'll buy original hardware, as it is, at least I can play Nes games :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RastanSaga said:

It's a Sony trinitron 

However! It's fine with the hd cable on a hdtv.

I guess that is something.

Down the line, I'll buy original hardware, as it is, at least I can play Nes games :)

You really don’t want to use an original nes pal console these days 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ulala said:

You really don’t want to use an original nes pal console these days 

Its actually pretty neat playing in hd. I'm not going to rush to get original hardware now, if at-all.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

Its actually pretty neat playing in hd. I'm not going to rush to get original hardware now, if at-all.

For pal nes carts, first choice is the Analogue NT

second the retron hd - I find it the happy medium, certainly in terms of value it’s great.

Then you have to look at modding an original nes, yikes!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Colonel Panic said:

@RastanSaga, why didn't you buy one of those NES to Famicom adapters for US NES games? They're great (but ugly).

I'm going to do that too...

:)

honestly..I'm a bit dippy at times - I forgot!

I've spent a good 6 months with this now and compared it to a few other NES clones, have to say for the price it's right up there as one of the best. Brilliant controller that adds a few comfortable extra's on the edges that the original never had, one pad I will be keeping for all future NES gaming for sure.

Been giving serious thought to having another crack at a complete PAL NES set again but the one thing that always puts me off is the speed of the games. Once you've tried NTSC it's tough to go back but thanks to the switch underneath this system you can flick to either mode. I've found on most PAL games I've played in NTSC mode it just speeds them up and brings them right on par with the US carts. Tried several so far but none beyond a slight line glitch on Mario 3 has given me any problems. I'm aware that some PAL games were optimised for it but can easily switch back if it looks awful or fails to run properly. Just wish the switch was on the side rather than underneath as its a right pain to have to tilt the whole thing over each time.

For ages I've been seriously contemplating getting one of those Retro USB AVS consoles but for that sort of money I don't think I'll bother. The output on HDMI in this is fantastic and if you want to run it on a CRT there's always the composite ports on the back. Best of both worlds!

It’s currently at £19, surely the best value in gaming !

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Been giving serious thought to having another crack at a complete PAL NES set again

Genuine question: why? Complete collections seem like one of the most depressing, wasteful and expensive endeavours in gaming. A bunch of crap titles hiding the gems? The reality that it's usually the worst titles that are the priciest because they didn't sell at the time? No thanks. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Genuine question: why? Complete collections seem like one of the most depressing, wasteful and expensive endeavours in gaming. A bunch of crap titles hiding the gems? The reality that it's usually the worst titles that are the priciest because they didn't sell at the time? No thanks. 

There's only around 200 or so games in the UK so it's quite easy to do. There's also not too many mega expensive carts either it's also fun to have a goal to aim towards over a few years, one of my biggest regrets is having to flog my almost complete set 10 years ago.

Went out to a retro shop today and picked up a few games:

0.jpg

Duck Tales was just £15, boxed with instructions! So there's plenty of bargains still to be found out there.I've heard a lot of good things about Crystalis, was looking it up on eBay just the other day and it's around £25 imported from the US so quite pleased to find it on a shelf for £20.

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

its an interesting topic. I’ve always wanted, or aspired to, a complete Megadrive collection.

but the closer I get, the more I realise I don’t want it anymore, it would just be for the bragging rights rather than actually playing the games.

but that’s just me, I respect others who want to complete. Collecting is a lot of fun, it’s a hobby in itself 

Yeah, picked up one of these from GAME at £20 last year as a cheap back up to the NES it's not bad at all, it can also be used to force PAL games into 60Hz. As it has a PAL, NTSC region switch, which just acts as a 50Hz and 60Hz switch. As PAL game run when it's set to NTSC. The HDMI output is really nice and a quick way to play on modern TVs no scalers etc.

Downside is the emulation is far from perfect, colours are way off in many games, but in many cases you won't notice this until you play them on original NES. PAL version of Double Dragon had an issue were the HUD would randomly flicker. Everything we chuck at it worked including Castlevania III.

• Upvote 1

I found that 500-in-1 cart I bought, back in the day.

i really should get around to playing this...

• Upvote 1

If anyone is looking for one of these I have a spare! Just bought an an AVS so not much use anymore, looking for £8.50 including P+P. Comes with USB charger and no NES pad. Does work with all NES controllers though.  There's a switch on the base to choose between PAL and US. Will stick a thread up in trading later:

1.jpg

2.jpg