IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

5 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Worst hair combing acting I’ve ever seen by Leia in this ep. Shameful

That was actually some pretty weird direction by Debra Chow. Can you obviously pretend you are doing your buttons up, as opposed to actually, you know, doing them up.

That’s about the same level of care that has been present elsewhere.

Spoiler

I like how they added a sort of attempt at a retcon with Obi-Wan calling him 'Darth' to make it less odd that he calls him that in ANH. 

Overall loved this series. My main gripe was the occasionally baffling use of the shaky camera. 

Glad to see Palpatine back, loved seeing Qui-Gon and obviously "Hello there" was brilliant. 

A janky and wonderful series and I loved it all. Great finale, for every reason mentioned.  I don't want a second series, just leave that as it is.

Spoiler

How did he get from the Vader fight to Tatooine so quickly? The point is he got there I guess. A large slice of storytelling license taken, but it's fictional storytelling at the end of the day. 

5 minutes ago, revol said:

A janky and wonderful series and I loved it all. Great finale, for every reason mentioned.  I don't want a second series, just leave that as it is.

Hide contents

How did he get from the Vader fight to Tatooine so quickly? The point is he got there I guess. A large slice of storytelling license taken, but it's fictional storytelling at the end of the day. 

I don't think hyperspace travel has been entirely consistent in the Star Wars universe as a whole. I'm willing to let it slide. 

I thought this final episode righted an awful lot of wrongs throughout the series to be honest. I enjoyed it a fair old chunk if truth be told. I also agree that going down the original idea of a movie would have been the better way to do it, as even with six episodes there felt like an awful lot of filler in it really. 

And as much as I'm not really one for fan-service, the moments that were in the finale made me smile a little bit, so job done I guess.

You'd hope that they wouldn't do another series, but god knows.

I think knowing a lot about Star Wars gets in the way of some of the finer details 

Spoiler

Such as why not just dispatch TIE Fighters to destroy the escaping ship

Overall, very solid and satisfying ending.  With lots of lovely single shots.  

It was totally uneven in places but overall really really great.

I enjoyed that, but it really was complete fluff as a series. A few of us have been watching it at work, and yet there's really not been anything to talk about each week.

It was fun though!

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I enjoyed that, but it really was complete fluff as a series. A few of us have been watching it at work, and yet there's really not been anything to talk about each week.

It was fun though!

I'd have absolutely loved it if they'd done this as a Clone Wars animated spin-off I think. I seem to lean towards this side of SW far more than the live-action stuff these days. My brain seems to allow much more silly shit in them for some reason.

I've not read anyone else's reactions yet, but I thought the final episode was the best of the season.

Spoiler

There weren't any of the jarring implausibilities that peppered the preceding episodes (well, not that many - I'm still not sure how The Third Sister made her way to Tatooine so easily after being disembowelled), and the Obi-Wan v Vader duel was pretty darn epic. I knew that Obi not killing him was going to be on the cards, but their final conversation, and seeing Anakin's scarred face and dead eyes, was really effective, I thought; I had goose bumps and a genuine emotional reaction, which is more than I can say for anything from the sequels.

Plus, 'Hello there' at the end was brilliant. That should have been the final shot, never mind the Neeson cameo!

It's definitely a flawed series and not as consistently good as The Mandalorian, but I've dutifully tuned into it every Wednesday for the past five weeks and have found something to like in every episode. It's refreshing to watch something that gets better as it goes on, too, when so often it's the other way around.

Now to read the rest of the thread and see how the entire episode has been trawled through the muck...

Spoiler

Obi Wan: darts out of his ship and towards the farm, there's not a moment to loose!

Owen, into the desert: "LUKE!"

Beren, into the desert: "LUKE?!"

Obi Wan: runs up, "Where is he?"

Owen: "Does it look like we know where he is, dipshit? What do you think we're fucking shouting for?"

Surely a deleted scene?

I get what they were going for with that bit, and I think the acting was strong enough, but I thought it didn't fit well at all.

Spoiler

It just felt like a continuity nerd shouting at me "see, Obi-Wan didn't lie to Luke about Darth killing his father!" and validating the ESB retcon.

It's just unnecessary.

Well that was a brilliant end to the series. So much to love about it, the big centrepiece scene made the whole thing worthwhile for me. The rest was just icing on the cake.

Yes as always there were loads of things to nitpick at but as Han would say, she’s got it where it counts.

3 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

One thing I noticed second time arround 

Hide contents

When obi wan makes his apology Vader is bathed in blue from obi wan’s lightsaber - when he replies ‘it wasn’t your failure’- it’s feels like it’s Anakin talking to him. The light then gradually changed to red . So when he says “I killed him” he is bathed in red light kinda symbolising that Vader has now taken over. I just thought this a very cool way of doing it 

Yeah, I picked up on this as well. I am thought it was a great touch, and made him look suitably monstrous.

Separately, after finishing season 2 of The Mandalorian yesterday, I'm not sure what to pick up next. Everyone says that The Book of Boba Fett is pap, so I've been toying with the idea of watching The Clone Wars cartoon at the ripe age of 32. There are a *lot* of them, though.

59 minutes ago, Bucky said:

I think knowing a lot about Star Wars gets in the way of some of the finer details 

This is definitely true. The people who don't like it as much seem to be those who loved and know everything about the original films.

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I get what they were going for with that bit, and I think the acting was strong enough, but I thought it didn't fit well at all.

Hide contents

It just felt like a continuity nerd shouting at me "see, Obi-Wan didn't lie to Luke about Darth killing his father!" and validating the ESB retcon.

It's just unnecessary.

I didn’t see it in a meta context at all. Viewing it divorced from all the continuity to come

Spoiler

it was the moment Obi-Wan finally gave up hope in his friend and knew he was gone.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I picked up on this as well. I am thought it was a great touch, and made him look suitably monstrous.

Separately, after finishing season 2 of The Mandalorian yesterday, I'm not sure what to pick up next. Everyone says that The Book of Boba Fett is pap, so I've been toying with the idea of watching The Clone Wars cartoon at the ripe age of 32. There are a *lot* of them, though.

I did it a while back at the age of 40. Enjoyed it very much. Do it. 

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

watch book of Boba Fett from episode 5 onwards. Thank me later

11 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I didn’t see it in a meta context at all. Viewing it divorced from all the continuity to come

Hide contents

it was the moment Obi-Wan finally gave up hope in his friend and knew he was gone.

Spoiler

If his friend is gone and fully replaced with a sith lord master of evil, leaving him there to be safely whisked away by his crew moments later seems like something of a genocide-enabling oversight.

43 minutes ago, Darren said:

Well that was a brilliant end to the series. So much to love about it, the big centrepiece scene made the whole thing worthwhile for me. The rest was just icing on the cake.

Yes as always there were loads of things to nitpick at but as Han would say, she’s got it where it counts.

Yeah, I loved it. Great end to the series, and it had

Spoiler

the Emperor in it, which instantly elevates any Star Wars. It was great to see Qui-gon back too.

I don't really want any more Obi-wan - I think this is enough - but I'd welcome more Vader, or more with the early Rebellion. Which is fortunate because I think Andor will give me the second bit.

For all that I've harped on about that aspect, I don't think it really bothers me that much. I just think there were cleaner ways to resolve that conflict.

Spoiler

You could have had Obi-Wan gaining the upper hand, and then the Grand Inquisitor - who'd given Vader some side-eye on this stupid plan - stepping in to separate them somehow (and probably getting slaughtered by Vader in thanks.)

You could have had Kenobi become aware that time was of the essence with Luke, and the emphasis for him becomes swift escape to save Luke rather than defeat of Vader.

It's just he does this big old self-speech/pep talk about how this is the end, it's me or him, and then when it gets down to it and it is me or him, and Vader makes it very clear that there's no Anakin to save, he just wanders off.

I don't really think my ideas are any better, that's not the point. Just that the writers didn't get enough passes at this series overall, I think. All the way through there were issues with direction and writing. The terrible "chases" and so on.

McGregor did an amazing job, and I think Reva, Vader, and most of the cast did a good job of carrying a shoddy series.

Yeah I've been quite torn on the series as a whole and it's been very wonky. It definitely needed shoring up in certain areas. I'm always a bit wary of squeezing in loads of existing characters having yet another adventure of a lifetime between their other adventure of a lifetime, but the core of Obi Wan's PTSD, Vader's vengeance and then both coming to terms with things was ultimately worth it. 

But it has some really shoddy parts. The opening was fine, and the ending was good. But the middle was mediocre. It felt very much like a TV show, like 24 or something, where you have a set up situation, some conflict and an escape for a good guy/bad guy and a cliffhanger to set up a conflict for next week. Episodes 2+4 just felt like Obi Wan being chased to another planet, having an encounter with the enemy and then getting away to another planet, where it happened all over again. 

It would have definitely worked better as a film. You'd have had the Leia rescue tied up in the second third, probably bump Reva off as the opening to the final bit and then the Obi Wan/Vader fight and their character development as the end. I'd probably keep Episode 1 and 6, and then chop the end of 2 with the end of 5 and Reva getting bumped. 

The writing has been poor and while I know that on the internet we pick holes in some banal shit, but stuff should have been a lot tighter. It's felt weird at times too, though maybe this is because it's my first SW TV series and I'm watching actors in roles I'm used to seeing in movies. But the direction has been awkward and scenes have felt off - like Obi Wan being chased round a quarry, which had a weird feel to it. Again, the whole structure of most of the episodes as a chase sequence lessened it I think. 

I've enjoyed seeing the actors in their roles, ultimately I've felt it's got a core story with merit in telling. It's messed with canon a little bit but, true to the original canon-fuck in ESB, it's sort of done it in a way that you can make it fit and take a somewhat logical suspension of disbelief. It's had terrible moments. It's got stuff that should have been cut. It should have had at least another pass. It's something that I think I could have probably edited and changed to be a bit tighter.

Ironically then, that the whole series feels a bit like the prequels to me. 

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

This is definitely true. The people who don't like it as much seem to be those who loved and know everything about the original films.

And those who appreciate the arts of screenwriting, rewriting and direction.

When Vader…

Spoiler

made that big hole in the ground that Obi-wan dropped into, I was sure that he was going to say “who’s got the high ground now eh??”

I wonder how much of the brain breakingly stupid stuff has been down to poor editing. There was another bit this week similar to last week that just didn’t make sense with the flow of the episode.

Spoiler

When Obi-wan told all the people on the ship he was leaving to buy them some time, and Leia pleaded with him not to go - he turned his back and left the room alone. In the next scene he’s back together with them saying goodbye again. It’s just like when Reva put him back in the base after capturing him - editing fail.

Oh yeah, there was

Spoiler

"I need to take the dropship and run a distraction because you need more time to get the hyperdrive going."

But then it seems to take the crew a significant amount of time readying the suicide drop ship anyway. Would have probably been best just to finish fixing the hyperdrive.

7 minutes ago, Darwock said:

When Vader…

Hide contents

made that big hole in the ground that Obi-wan dropped into, I was sure that he was going to say “who’s got the high ground now eh??”

I wonder how much of the brain breakingly stupid stuff has been down to poor editing. There was another bit this week similar to last week that just didn’t make sense with the flow of the episode.

Hide contents

When Obi-wan told all the people on the ship he was leaving to buy them some time, and Leia pleaded with him not to go - he turned his back and left the room alone. In the next scene he’s back together with them saying goodbye again. It’s just like when Reva put him back in the base after capturing him - editing fail.

That was bizarre. First of all the ship was the size of a bus on the outside, but the size of a multi-storey ferry on the inside. And then I was like- where the feck did Obi Wan just go only to come straight back? Did he go for a dump?

I was also wondering what Reva's intention was in this episode. I was thinking- surely not the same thing as the first episode? And in the end that would have better than what we got.