IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

On 21/06/2022 at 13:53, Popo said:

It would have been nice if there were more scenes with Anakin in this, showing the side of his relationship to Obi Wan that’s hinted at in the original trilogy - friend, war hero, all round good egg - a man who was already an accomplished fighter pilot by the time Obi Wan met him. Instead there’s been one more scene where he’s a petulant, whiny brat who needs teaching a lesson once again by his superior master. It’s a horrible dynamic, which we’ve already seen enough of, when we could have seen a bit more of why Obi Wan wanted to take him on as padawan, seen the good in him, and why it tears old Ben up so much to see him lost to the dark side.

Well that wasn't going to happen. They're following on from the prequels where Anakin was ten years old when they met. Obi-wan thought Anakin was a waste of space. Another lost cause that Qui-gon had collected. He didn't like Anakin because the Jedi Council didn't. He only agreed to train Anakin to honour Qui-gon Jinn's dying wish.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Started watching this. 3 episodes in. 

Has Obi Wan forgot how to be a Jedi? He's shite. 

Well, not forgot. He’s consciously avoiding all force-related activities. I think he’s done a Luke in TLJ. 

54 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Well, not forgot. He’s consciously avoiding all force-related activities. I think he’s done a Luke in TLJ. 

Why though? They know it's him. 

Show is really stupid. 

3 hours ago, Ry said:

Why though? They know it's him. 

Show is really stupid. 

They didn’t know it was him until he came out of hiding. They’ve been unable to find him for 10 years. Kidnapping Leia was their gamble to try and flush him out, because they found records that he and Bail Organa were buddies and if anyone knew where he was it was him. The show can be very stupid, but that part was all (possibly badly) explained.

Well that was quite a good ending

Spoiler

the fight between Vader and obi wan was what I wanted Vader full on rage letting go no holding back - and then obi wans come back full on force mode 

loved the shot of  Vader’s mask slit apart and anakin face behind it.

Also qui gon!!! Finally even though it was brief still good to see him

and of coarse….. well hello there 

Was anyone else disappointed thinking that when 

Spoiler

Vader buried Kenobi, that was the end of the fight because it would have tied things up with Vader thinking he was dead and Kenobi escaping afterwards?

So glad that wasn’t the case, the outcome was pretty well done.

I loved that, great way to end it.

Spoiler

The Obi Wan Vs Vader fight was great and the whole mask in half thing would have been better but Filoni did it before in Rebels for Ahsoka Vs Vader, nice to see a bit of SWTOR slipping in there as well with Obi Wan using Force Project lifted straight from the Jedi consulr class, I get a sneaking suspicion that Filoni loves KOTOR and possibly plays SWTOR because he lifts way to many things to drop in as easter eggs in Star Wars especially his stuff.

I don't think there will be a series 2, if there is I'd bet it'll end with a live action scene that we got in Rebels but I can't see it happening, I think it's much more likely we get a Reva spin off and quite possibly a Vader limited series somewhere down the road.

All in all it was a decent 6 episode run.

Yup, really enjoyed that finale and thought it wrapped things up nicely and in a way that makes ANH make sense.

Spoiler

The fight between the two was brilliant and the half mask/face looked and sounded great. Mixing the two voices was a real nice touch.

I'm glad they paid attention and had Obi Wan slice his face because earlier in this show Vader didn't have his face scar, and now they've show where it came from.

I think despite Vader losing, it also make the lines in ANH still make sense. He lost this battle and was still the student, but by learning to let go of the past and focus only on serving Palpatine he's now mastered his Sith training.

Was fun to see Qui-gon at the end, although if they'd have made "Hello there" the last line of the show, I would have been happy with that 😆.

15 hours ago, Ry said:

Started watching this. 3 episodes in. 

Has Obi Wan forgot how to be a Jedi? He's shite. 

14 hours ago, Jammy said:

Reminds me a lot of Ged post Tombs of Atuan in the Earthsea books. Tot the point of wondering if they've been inspired a bit by Ursula LeGuin's works.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I loved that, great way to end it.

Hide contents

The Obi Wan Vs Vader fight was great and the whole mask in half thing would have been better but Filoni did it before in Rebels for Ahsoka Vs Vader, nice to see a bit of SWTOR slipping in there as well with Obi Wan using Force Project lifted straight from the Jedi consulr class, I get a sneaking suspicion that Filoni loves KOTOR and possibly plays SWTOR because he lifts way to many things to drop in as easter eggs in Star Wars especially his stuff.

I don't think there will be a series 2, if there is I'd bet it'll end with a live action scene that we got in Rebels but I can't see it happening, I think it's much more likely we get a Reva spin off and quite possibly a Vader limited series somewhere down the road.

All in all it was a decent 6 episode run.

Thought the exact same thing re: Rebels nod

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah happy with that ending.

Hide contents

The Obi Wan v Vader fight was great - seeing Anakin's face behind the mask, and the hybrid Anakin/Vader voice was a good touch.  Weird that the lighting of the light sabers was brought up in this thread a few days back, and they looked awesome in this.  Some nice wide shots too before and during the battle.  Good Star Wars.

I think it's been a decent story for Obi Wan who has had the full on redemption treatment - he realises he has to finally let go of Anakin, his powers have returned, he's been able to have a connection with both Anakin's children and finally seeing Qui Gon was great.

I can't see where a 2nd season of this goes though, unless it's Vader-less.  And that would mean losing one of the main attractions.  They've got Vader just right IMO - particularly his fight with Reva in the penultimate episode. 

Also, it's answered the questions that ANH brings up now (Leia's overly formal message to Obi Wan, 'last time we met I was the apprentice' etc) so unless they focus on something between Obi Wan and Reva, I'm not sure what else they can do.  Reva's journey in particular feels like there's something more to be told (which will no doubt REALLY piss of a part of the 'fan'base....  

Personally, I've really enjoyed this series.  It's improved the character of Obi Wan, it's been entertaining and Ewan McGregor in particular has been great.  Maybe this was a story that didn't need to be told, and I'm glad it was 6 episodes rather than 10+, but ultimately it's done what I was hoping it would. 

I'll leave other less satisfied posters to pick it to bits, but I'll definitely rewatch this.  Not long to wait until Andor.....

Spoiler

It was cool with the split mask and dual voice, but as said above, the EXACT SAME THING had been done in Rebels, when Ashoka fought Vader, sliced his mask and we had the hybrid voice addressing her so it was either a lazy repeat or a cool homage, not sure which yet...

Spoiler

Vader fight was great..

but otherwise... it's all so wonky.

Spoiler

Obi-wan is fighting Vader one minute, then landing on Tatooine the next. Or Reva being left for dead one minute - then tots fine in what amounts to the next scene.

Nothing has ANY consequence. And that has been consistent throughout the whole series.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's all just so sloppy.

Hide contents

I'll just leave you buried in a small pit, despite knowing you're a powerful Jedi master.

I'm gonna leave you there in a half-working life support suit, knowing that there's a full star destroyer above ready to rescue you. How many people has Kenobi condemned to death there? At least he got his personal redemption arc.

Reva walking about largely fine despite being stabbed through the chest with a saber. What with her and the other inquisitor seemingly getting through that with no ill-effects, shouldn't Han Solo still be alive?

It's not without its moments and so on, but Christ it needed some work.

Agree with all this. The actions of the characters make absolutely no sense sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's all just so sloppy.

Hide contents

I'll just leave you buried in a small pit, despite knowing you're a powerful Jedi master.

I'm gonna leave you there in a half-working life support suit, knowing that there's a full star destroyer above ready to rescue you. How many people has Kenobi condemned to death there? At least he got his personal redemption arc.

Reva walking about largely fine despite being stabbed through the chest with a saber. What with her and the other inquisitor seemingly getting through that with no ill-effects, shouldn't Han Solo still be alive?

It's not without its moments and so on, but Christ it needed some work.

Yup totally .

The series is full of nonsensical stuff in order to deliver the overall sorry arc. There so many times watching it where I thought the writers got themselves into a situation , and then put a place holder in. [and then obiwan /Leia escapes - fill this in later].

to your point above . I can buy into 

Spoiler

Obiwan leaving vader alive . I know he thinks his friend is truly dead , but I can go along with the thought that obiwan just can’t bring himself to kill him.

what I can’t buy into is vader can sense obiwan from fucking miles away , but can’t sense him still being alive in a pit literally 10 foot away . 

The whole reva thing was just pointless. They should have killed her off in ep 5. There was literally no threat from her because we know it’s all going to be ok . It was just filler. 

obs we know that everything is going to be ok ultimately , but at least there is back story internet for vader/obiwan. Reva doesn’t have that. 

As a series then , I’d put It slightly above the book of boba (aka let’s turn the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy into a complete nonentity). And way below mandalorian 

It’s going to take a while to wipe this grin from my face. That was perfect.

Spoiler

Say it! Say it! YES!!

I was so worked up for that to be the cherry on the cake that I’d completely forgotten about the obvious one two punch they had in mind.

I’m absolutely down for a second season of Liam Neeson mentoring. He looked perfect.

Loved that.

Spoiler

And not just the fighty bits. Loved the final scene with Leia, obviously “Hello there !” and Qui-Gonn.

I actually found myself watching with a tinge of sadness during all the exchanges, knowing what came before and what’s to come in the future.

Poor from start to finish. A bad idea, badly executed.

On the plus side it had a few sweet moments, some okay performances, and some very decent music, but that was swamped by epic amounts of utter dreck. Shockingly bad story and scripts, weak direction, and cheap looking effects throughout.

Whatever technology was used to help all of those characters forget a massive, traumatic part of their lives after just 9 years, can they use it on me please?

Well to counter that I thought it was excellent series and managed just the ending I was looking for.

Spoiler

Them twin suns are mighty rough on Beru over the next 10 years or so though!!!!