IGNORED

Obi-Wan Series - Friday 27th May

Nimmel

48 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Leia and Ben also never actually meet in ANH do they? 

That’s quite sad actually.

No - she just sees him from across the hangar as he sacrifices himself ☹️

17 hours ago, LaveDisco said:
  Hide contents

Like this is going to sound very weird, and I’ve not fully thought it through, but I’m not sure I like how diverse they made the baddies. 

The space-nazis are evil middle aged posh white men. It’s so fucking on the nose and I’ve always loved it. Here’s all these diverse cultures and peoples being ground down under the heel of literal white men.

Hopefully a future episode will show the space nazis treat the inquisitors like shit or something. 

That felt so weird to say - but hopefully makes sense. 

Well she can’t be a proper baddie because she’s being held down by the whitemans. Classic corporate diversity in action.

Also, where can I watch that TV series/film from the Previously On supercut? It looked very dramatic, emotional, succinct and narratively coherent. What did I miss??

I’ve never watched Clone Wars or Rebels so don’t really know who the Inquisitors are (apart from playing Fallen Order), but they all seemed pretty good to me. In general I enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I agree with some of the comments here about the chases etc. 

Spoiler

The montage at the start was way better than all the prequels combined. They should just release that as a stand-alone for anyone who’s never had to watch them.

It seemed to me as if Obi-Wan had cut himself off from the force, a bit like Luke did in TLJ. So it made sense to me that he had to fight with his hands and a blaster, and was easily hit and made to bleed. Maybe he couldn’t risk using his saber as without being attuned to the force he might slice himself open? When he saves Leia he re-opens the connection, and then the Inquisitor can feel him after that.  Just my interpretation of it.

It was a bit of a stretch that 2 Jedi just happened to be hiding in the same town on the same backwater planet (admittedly where everything seems to happen in Star Wars). They could have tried to stay away from the small universe in this I think.

I’d like to see some proper action pretty soon in the next episodes. 

6 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Any Rebels fans wondering

Hide contents

Didn't Kanan kill the grand inquisitor? Not really sure what's going on there. 

Because Rebels is set after Obi Wan?

6 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Any Rebels fans wondering

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Kanan kill the grand inquisitor? Not really sure what's going on there. 

It's probably because "reasons".

Don't forget that (spoilers for TPM, Rebels, ROTS, and TBOBF just in case someone has never watched them)...

Spoiler

Darth Maul was cut in half and fell down a massive pit and somehow survived. Anakin Skywalker had his arms and legs burnt off by lava and survived. Fennec Shand was shot and had her entire abdomen replaced by mechanics and survived. So it's probably not a stretch that the Grand Inquisitor can survive this. It's not like she put her lightsabre through his head or something.

1 hour ago, FishyFish said:

It's probably because "reasons".

Don't forget that (spoilers for TPM, Rebels, ROTS, and TBOBF just in case someone has never watched them)...

Hide contents

Darth Maul was cut in half and fell down a massive pit and somehow survived. Anakin Skywalker had his arms and legs burnt off by lava and survived. Fennec Shand was shot and had her entire abdomen replaced by mechanics and survived. So it's probably not a stretch that the Grand Inquisitor can survive this. It's not like she put her lightsabre through his head or something.

Spoiler

Don't forget Palpatine 

Well while we’re at it let’s not forget Obi Wan himself, who was already giving Luke advice before the end of the scene in which he’d been killed.

44 minutes ago, Darren said:

Well while we’re at it let’s not forget Obi Wan himself, who was already giving Luke advice before the end of the scene in which he’d been killed.

spoilers!

Really enjoyed both episodes. Some of the action was pretty shocking, but I don’t care too much. McGregor was outstanding - Obi-Wan is in bits and you can see the PTSD and fear so clearly. Very interested to see what the story is with Reva now. What does she feels she’s owed? What happened to the other padawans she was with at the start? 

Finished both episodes now. It’s pretty shit really :lol:

It’s flat, and there was no tension or excitement in any of the sequences.

Spoiler

Like, he goes to a planet, finds Leia in about five minutes, then runs about a bit. It’s just odd.

Leia kills it stone dead for me too. The girl isn’t good enough, although she doesn’t have much to work with to be fair. Such a wasted opportunity.

It’s frustrating because I love Ewan as Obi-Wan, and he deserves a chance to redeem himself after the dreadful prequels. Hopefully it picks up.

Found it quite dull, predictable, and outside of Ewan McGregor, the performances are atrocious (even though I quite like Leia 50% of the time),

The directing is perfunctory, but I'm not sure what one can do with a script and plot of this quality.

Those of you who are the naysayers- I'm curious to know how many of you have a disney plus subscription.

Reva comes across too much as an American stereotype for me- I really hope they flesh her out with more flashbacks.

This is better than BOBF, although that's not hard.

Does Deborah Chow direct all the episodes?

I was in two minds about watching this, as I can’t stand the prequels, and anything that reminds me of them is plain bothersome. 

But that big Vanity Fair article about all the new shows renewed my interest. Bah, I was duped. 

The “previously…” is obviously useful (especially for my kids who haven’t seen the prequels), but that set me off from the start. 

But the slow pace, stilted acting, a pointless memberberry, a baffling casting of Flea, that just disrupts things, and the cardinal sin of the prequels – CHILD ACTORS, all conspired to make a very average show, sadly. 

I absolutely LOVED the Mandalorian. Everything about it. The Glen A Larson vibe, the (until later) lack of concrete links to the main story, not to mention just how beautiful every episode looked. It’s now comfort telly for me, and worth keeping the Disney+ sub (as well as for Mr Inbetween, obvs).

This just feels like if Channel 5 blagged a Star Wars licence. 

And Hayden Christensen hasn’t even shown up yet. 

21 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

I absolutely LOVED the Mandalorian. Everything about it. The Glen A Larson vibe, the (until later) lack of concrete links to the main story, not to mention just how beautiful every episode looked. It’s now comfort telly for me, and worth keeping the Disney+ sub (as well as for Mr Inbetween, obvs).

Pretty much echoes why I have the sub now but I might cancel after this for a while as Mr Inbetween is done. Of all the stories in the universe they could have gone with in this time period, all the possibilities -recue ten year old Leia is the most back-of-a fag-packet-in-ten-minutes shit they could have come up with.

I wonder if it’s the rate that they're churning these out that's having such a dire effect on the direction and why the last couple of series have felt so amateurish. This has a cinematographer from Breaking Bad on it so they're not exactly lacking for skills. The Mandalorian may have had a lot more time to itself in terms of planning and shooting when it was the first and only modern Star Wars live action series. I don't know how many of those 'volume' sets Disney have now but they have to be in bloody high demand. It seems like every time I log on another five Star Wars projects have been announced. It feels like Star Wars is falling foul of the CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT above all else mantra that infects Netflix and other streaming services. 

Disney VP corners junior exec in the toilets.

:quote: “I had guaranteed streaming subs with Star Wars - theme park tie-ins, video games and novels, a tenner a year for a least 12 months... Who cares if it looks good or not?”

Side note - I know Dave Filoni is mentioned in hushed tones as this trusted guardian of Star Wars lore, but worth noting that in the Vanity Fair article, it turns out he was dead against Baby Yoda (it was Favreau’s idea), and they argued quite a lot about his inclusion until he relented. 

If what we get with Filoni is portentous lore and child actors, and what we get with Favreau is rollicking space-romps with amazing (and adorable) puppets, I know where I’d prefer to spend my time. 

Of course, creative tension and collaboration makes great work, so perhaps it was their spark that made Mando so great, and Obi-Wan less so. 

Spoiler

Little Leia is amazing and my favourite thing about the show so far  

Really enjoyed the first couple of episodes and I’ve got a bad good feeling about it which is more than I’ve been able to say about any of the other Star Wars shows. 

It’s far better than Mandalorian IMO that’s for sure which I thought was awful. I genuinely feel like I’m from another planet when I see the praise that gets. 

On 28/05/2022 at 10:09, Paulando said:

The bit in the woods was almost comical.

Hide contents

It looked like a scene from Maid Marion and her Merry Men or something. Like a few people had their face painted then went running around some woods with a camera. Certainly not a multi-million dollar Disney production.

All of the Leia stuff was pretty badly written tbh.

Obi-Wan was great though. I’d have preferred for him to be the focus I think, and just had Leia be kidnapped off screen (or perhaps just open with her kidnapping, with no dialogue).

I really did expect it to be a fake-out. It was probably a good scene on the page, but what they got in the camera looked exactly like what it was:

Spoiler

Two grown men deliberately failing to catch a small child in a botanic garden.

Mixed bag for me so far, for most of the same reasons everyone has already mentioned.

McGregor's great. It's fascinating watching him trying to bridge the gap between Alec Guinness's taciturn performance, and his own 20-year-old more youthful take on the same character. He's doing a great job so far, and at times he has made the character seem genuinely quite broken. He's the best thing about it by far.

Leia is so exquisitely annoying that I wonder if she's meant to be deliberately invoking memories of Jake Lloyd as young Anakin in the Phantom Menace. A bold choice if so.

The chase scenes are laughable. The action in general seems fairly weak, to be honest.

Biggest problem for me so far is the baddies - the Grand Inquisitor has none of the gravitas or presence he had in Rebels, and doesn't even really look right. Maybe Reva will come into her own as it progresses, but she's pretty bland so far.

Overall it mostly makes me want to watch Rebels again. Hoping Hayden Christensen appears sooner rather than later and shakes things up a bit.

It’s a bit baffling how much unintentionally funny stuff was in the first episode. You would’ve thought when watching the dailies, the director would’ve gone ‘yeah, that doesn’t work.’

Spoiler

The Jedi escaping by collapsing a narrow awning which inquisitors treated like an impassable rockslide; the aforementioned slow chase scene with Leia; the woman who howled as she had her hand chopped off then was totally silent thereafter; Obi-Wan giving the ticket collector a good look at his lightsaber before leaving…

The trailer made it seem like a series in search of a point, and the first episode just reinforced that for me. Hopefully it finds its feet, but doesn’t have long to do so. 

As discussed, the modern take on the empire being portrayed as a bit more inclusive than it used to be bothers me, but I agree that inquisitors would be an exception as there is a clear benefit to be had, but I think they could underline this in future episodes if they show any interactions with regular imp officers.

While I cant remember specific examples, I'm sure there have been a few cases in the animated series where they'll just about feign obedience to someones face but start getting all snarky the moment they think theyre out of earshot. God knows they do it often enough to other 'normie' officers, so it's only right they do it more pointedly about outsider types.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

:quote: “I had guaranteed streaming subs with Star Wars - theme park tie-ins, video games and novels, a tenner a year for a least 12 months... Who cares if it looks good or not?”

:lol: How many more takes on that scene have you got lined up?