A Short Hike (PC/Mac) - now on the greatest console ever™ (i.e. Switch)

Indeed it does and it's a riot. For 6 quid I thought I'd give this a shot this morning and it really is a nice little game. I went off exploring and easily spent an hour or two and there's still plenty to find. I know where to go to continue or probably finish the game, but its fun just roaming around the island, finding items and meeting the characters. The dialogue's great, its pretty funny and although from reviews I had thought this was a solitary experience, far from it, there's animal folk all over the place to chat to and get quests or items from. As well as this the gameplay is surprisingly fun, you get access to different movement mechanics, and there are some 'collect X of this' side quests which sounds boring but there are collectables all over the place, most of which require exploring to get. Its almost got a Zelda like vibe to its exploration and collecting aspects. I definitely get why reviewers wanted a longer game, I've only got an hour or two of content left I imagine but I would love to play a larger scale game with mechanics like these and a bigger world to explore. Definitely worth checking out.

I just completed this and I can’t believe how good it is - probably the best indie/short game I have ever played (at least alongside journey). I’ve seen it described as a cross between animal crossing and breath of the wild, and certainly anyone who plays it will recognise that statement immediately.  But this was just an incredibly satisfying experience - it really captured that feeling of exploration you get in breath of the wild or dark souls in a microcosm. So I cannot recommend it highly enough - one of the best games of the last few years for sure. It’s two hours and 6 pounds of your time very well spent.

Yep. Don't hesitate, just buy this and play it and enjoy it.

Spoiler

I'm still trying to find all the fish from the journal. I smiled a lot when I caught an "Actually Rainbow Trout".

1 hour ago, joeplus said:

Yep. Don't hesitate, just buy this and play it and enjoy it.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm still trying to find all the fish from the journal. I smiled a lot when I caught an "Actually Rainbow Trout".

Bought, and it's delightful.

Absolute heartbreak. I spilled water on my Switch and I'm having to send it off for repair (or replace it if it's that bad). At least I finished the storyline, but...

Spoiler

...those fish will have to wait.

I've had this for Mac for *months* so obviously didn't get around to playing it and bought it instantly and played on the Switch instead!  Anyway, when it was discussed on TCGS recently, @elmo said there was a not too obvious point that ended the game for him.  I've reached the peak and gone back to the cabin and now have the option to go to sleep.  I assume that is what will end the game prematurely for me?  I still have a few things I'd like to do.

On 24/08/2019 at 21:33, Fatsam said:

It's very Breath of the Wild exploration aspects on a micro scale and it does that pretty well, but I didn't quite feel that as much as others sorry

Avoiding overstaying your welcome is great, but there was simply not enough in there of substance for me to make much of an impact.

Just finished and felt much the same as this. It's lovely, I thoroughly enjoyed the writing and the park is really well designed but it's all just a bit too slight. 

This is an exceptionally rare feeling for me. I pretty much think all games are too long :unsure:

My wife went out for a coffee with her mate round the corner. I pootled around for a bit, tidied up, went upstairs, started this, really enjoyed the music, great movement, mini collectathon, some quite sweet writing if a little bit generic indie umm and ahh at times, I felt like I knew what the conclusion would be but pretty much felt ready to put it to bed. Clunk. Lovely. 

Front door goes seconds later. They were only allowed an hour at the table so she's back home. Wow. I hadn't realised quite how short! I expect there's a good few characters and bits of dialogue and stuff I've missed though, and I'll definitely go back to polish off a couple of 'quests' I didn't complete. I'd recommend it, for sure, and I can't say it doesn't achieve what it intended, but it was a little bit slight. I liked the conversation with the polar bear about endings, though. That was actually refreshing. 

Checked the stats and it took me just under seven hours to do everything and I still need to go back in and check out the recent update.

Seven hours seems decent for a short game, if you're invested in it, I think.

On 22/08/2020 at 14:53, Made of Ghosts said:

This is lovely. Weird that the hi-rez version is hidden in a menu though, it looks much better to my eyes.

I didn’t know there was another option until I read this. And yes, it looks considerably better.

I tried the 'higher' rez version but switched back. Somehow the chunkiness is really satisfying to my eyes. (Maybe because nothing wobbles as horribly as a PS1 3D engine rendering a wall.)

Lovely game though. Makes me wonder if I should pick up The Touryst as well.

I've just finished this myself. What a work of art. The switch is home to some of my all time favourite story driven indie games. I'll say no more, you should play it. What a delight. 

Finished this last night. Think it was about the right length too. I like narrative games that respect your time and tend remember them/replay them more. Played it over three play sessions and it took about 7 hours in all.

Really well made and thought out game. The gameplay and structure I do think was pretty much perfect. The flying system was great. Story and dialogue were perfectly fine but not particularly memorable.

Atmosphere reminded me of firewatch, would put this up there with stuff like Edith Finch as the best of its type. Kept the graphics setting as is, had more charm. 

This year has been great for well made indie games. Got eternal castle  to play though next :D

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this this morning, 2 sessions and a short one to get it over the line. It’s really lovely isn’t it? Just flying, climbing and gliding around the island is brilliant fun. 

I’ve got 15 feathers, are there more to find? Anything else well hidden I should be in the lookout for?

Edit - feck me! I’ve found...

Spoiler

Another island! Smaller granted but what a lovely surprise. 

This game has a tremendously rewarding sense of discovery. 

Finally got to have a proper go on this with everyone else in bed last night. It's dreamy. 

So far I've only got 5 feathers plus 

Spoiler

A lucky headband, running shoes, shovel and maybe some things I've forgotten about.