rllmuk
Alan Stock

Telling Lies - New detective game from Her Story creator

The quasi-sequel to Her Story comes out tomorrow and it's got some great reviews:

• Games Radar - 4.5/5
  • Guardian - 5/5
  • IGN - 9
  • Polygon - Recommended
  • Eurogamer - Recommended
  • PC Gamer - 87%

Pretty excited for this one. If you haven't played Her Story, I highly recommend it. It's a detective game where you go through interview tapes of a suspect to solve a murder, but the tapes are only a few seconds long making it a tangled web where you have to piece the story together for yourself.

Telling Lies is a quasi-sequel with a similar premise, instead of a police database you're trawling through someone's laptop files to uncover the mysteries surrounding national security (or something), and instead of one character there are 4, all played by Hollywood actors.

You can now scrub back and forward through the many video files to look for clues. Like Her Story, you find new files using keyword searches, but only the first 5 search results are available to see. This forces you to narrow your searches using certain words (like people's names for example) in order to see previously hidden files. You follow the breadcrumbs by picking up on clues in the files to unearth new words or theories.

I've skimmed through some of the reviews and the overall impression is that this is very much in the same vein as Her Story, albeit with more media types to play with. The stories you uncover will be different depending on which files you find and revelations you uncover, with the twists and turns we'd expect from the writer Sam Barlow. Some reviews like the Eurogamer one complain that there's less of a feeling of completion than Her Story, because you can't see how many videos are left to view, and you have some sort of time limit which means you can't uncover all of its secrets right away. It also means the tone of the game might be different for each player depending on what stuff you uncover. Other reviews see this as a strength with a malleable story that you have to have to draw your own conclusions about.

Although I see where the detractors are coming from about the narrative, in Her Story the ambiguity was one of the things that made it great. There were heavy hints if you digged deep enough about what was really going on - but you had to figure it all out yourself and it felt very rewarding to do so. Even then Sam Barlow wouldn't confirm the "truth" of the story, saying it was more interesting for people to take their own interpretation of what really happened. According to one review I read of Telling Lies it works in a similar way, where maybe the truth really starts coming to light if you really invest the time to find those hard-to-get last few revelatory files.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the twists and turns Barlow has in store this time, and best of all the system requirements are once again laughably low, I'll be able to run it on my ancient laptop no worries.

If anyone has played it before release, would be interested to hear your (spoiler free) opinions!

• Upvote 6

Her Story was fantastic. Immediate purchase.

Hopefully this might motivate them to update Her Story on the iPad to accept external keyboards. Madness otherwise.

I'm genuinely really excited for this, Her Story was great. :)  Do we know what time it will release on steam?  Currently just saying 23rd August with no pre purchase.  :omg:

8 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Should this play well enough on an iPhone or is PC clearly the better choice?

PC is probably better, but the iPad version is out now and £7.

Spoiler-free impression:

So I've played a few hours and I'm sucked in. If you like Her Story, you'll like this. When I said it uses multiple media that was a misunderstanding, so far it's all video trawling and good old keyword searches. You start off with nothing really to go on, other than you are a mysterious person looking through an National Security Agency database of videos, so something important must have happened. So, you just start following the threads that interest you and start to build a picture of the characters and the different story threads going on.

The pace is slower than Her Story at first, you're mainly learning about the characters and their relationships, but pretty quickly you start to come across more interesting stuff, albeit interspersed with family/relationship drama. Don't take this to mean it's boring though, in fact there's plenty going on and always questions on your mind, mysteries to solve. It's very much got the Her Story thing of things slowly slotting into place as new characters and events are uncovered, with some biggish revelations and juicy bits I've already uncovered. But I'm sure if I accidentally stumble onto any huge revelations, just like its predecessor it doesn't really matter as the context and surrounding details that are just as important. 

Although so far the clips and narrative are focused around the man (the other three main characters are women), having videos featuring four different perspectives means a lot more video to look through. There are lots of clips that are 4-8 minutes long, and it could drop you anywhere in the clip - where the keyword was found. Each video will always play to the end from that point, but what's interesting is that it also allows you to scrub back in time to see the events earlier in the clip before the keyword. So far I haven't really used that feature as I prefer the game to drip-feed me the clues rather than binge watch every single video in full. But I bet at some point you'll need to rewind to uncover more information.

I can see why Eurogamer said that it could be different stories for different players. I'm following the more exciting mysterious story threads but there's lots of drama and relationship stuff to delve into as well. What I'm about to mention isn't really a spoiler as you learn it in the first few minutes, but it's about the game's structure and difference to Her Story, so don't look if you want to go in totally blind:

I'm pretty sure the Eurogamer review mentioned some kind of time limit to uncover information and I suspect that may be the case. The presentation is really interesting because instead of you interfacing with the PC directly, you actually play as a woman who you see in a video at the start, and throughout you can see her reflection on the screen, moving around and hearing the ambient noise in your flat. Time seems to be passing as indicated by the time on your in-game computer and the occasional bit of movement "in the real world", like someone else coming home and saying hello. And if you read the files on your computer, it's hinted that there may be a limit to how long you can trawl the files for.

Now I imagine if there is a time limit it will be quite generous as there is *a lot* of video, a few hours in and I still have a ton of leads to chase and plenty of files I've only watched a fraction of. You can also bookmark and tag videos to build up a library, implying you'll have plenty of time to "explore" the files. But it does put me under pressure. There are certain things I want to find out, both big ones and about certain events I already know about but have yet to pinpoint in detail. Now this is both good and bad, good because it forces me to push along my investigation into the areas that interest me, but bad because I want to consume every tiny part of the story. What I liked in Her Story was that even after you uncovered the big secrets, you could spend hours more delving into every little detail, rewatching videos multiple times and uncovering those last few missing clips. I feel like this opportunity may be taken from me in this game, although in reality unless the structure does something weird later on, I can always delete my data and start a new game once it ends, and in my next playthrough just focus on the stuff I missed. We'll see.

Reviews have used the word voyeristic a lot and I have to agree. It's not in a bad way, but because of the more intimate setting of people's homes and private lives you feel like you're really seeing their true sides. It has arguments, sexy bits, passionate scenes, vulnerability. What's also weird is that you only see and hear one side of a conversation, so often you'll be watching this dude or girl just sitting there as they listen and react to someone you can't hear. Just like Her Story the acting is great though and really sells the characters. With just expressions and a few words you can guess what might being said on the other end of the line, and so far the relationships and characters feel really genuine thanks to the acting. 

Within 20 minutes of starting the game you'll start to see the trademark Sam Barlow genius at work. Once again he's managed to gate the story through a complex network of snippets, each keyword might only give you a few results, but each video gives you new keywords to chase, or new ideas to pursue. It's already getting really interesting and just like Her Story you start to pay attention to the environments the characters are in and their appearance to get clues about the timeline and further leads.

Well, that ended up being a big post for what was supposed to be a brief first impression. Going to dive back in, I hope its longer than Her Story because I want to get hooked!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure the Eurogamer review mentioned some kind of time limit to uncover information and I suspect that may be the case. The presentation is really interesting because instead of you interfacing with the PC directly, you actually play as a woman who you see in a video at the start, and throughout you can see her reflection on the screen, moving around and hearing the ambient noise in your flat. Time seems to be passing as indicated by the time on your in-game computer and the occasional bit of movement "in the real world", like someone else coming home and saying hello. And if you read the files on your computer, it's hinted that there may be a limit to how long you can trawl the files for.

Now I imagine if there is a time limit it will be quite generous as there is *a lot* of video, a few hours in and I still have a ton of leads to chase and plenty of files I've only watched a fraction of. You can also bookmark and tag videos to build up a library, implying you'll have plenty of time to "explore" the files. But it does put me under pressure. There are certain things I want to find out, both big ones and about certain events I already know about but have yet to pinpoint in detail. Now this is both good and bad, good because it forces me to push along my investigation into the areas that interest me, but bad because I want to consume every tiny part of the story. What I liked in Her Story was that even after you uncovered the big secrets, you could spend hours more delving into every little detail, rewatching videos multiple times and uncovering those last few missing clips. I feel like this opportunity may be taken from me in this game, although in reality unless the structure does something weird later on, I can always delete my data and start a new game once it ends, and in my next playthrough just focus on the stuff I missed. We'll see.

Spoiler

The Steam achievements make it pretty clear you have six hours. Though that’s in-game time, I’m not sure exactly how that relates to real time.

Played it for a few hours today, it’s pretty good so far. Though it’s all set in America, it seems to be heavily inspired by a real-life event that happened in the UK. Though maybe there’s more stories in it because after just an hour or two of fairly straightforward searches I found what seemed to be a pretty explicit ending with a bit of a summary of what happened.

Just downloaded this.  Loved Her Story, but one of the things was you could either get lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you looked at it) with your keywords and discover things really quickly, or be going round in circles for a while not really picking up on the threads you needed to.  In this case, I thought I'd have a quick look so have been on 30 mins before going out and things have escalated rather quickly;

So, i clicked on a couple of the intital videos and one was with a young girl, who talks to her dad, so I used the search term

daughter to see if she was linked to anyone else.  One was a short video with an elderly woman, so I clicked on that and she mentioned some guys names, but was talking to an older guy by the sounds of it, so i discounted his name and picked the one of the person this persons daughter (who she said was a doctor so I assumed the younger woman from the previous clip) was seeing now david.  That lead me to a few clips that confirmed thats the name of the main guy in the story, and then showed a few more of him interacting with a couple of the other characters, one who works at a record store and one who is a cam girl.  The cam girl had Max tattood on her chest, so I searched that, which showed some videos of David, now clean shaven, asking someone to track Max down, and then.....a clip of him with Max with a gun where he is attempting to get her to give him some files but she shoots him in the leg.  It appears that she has videos of him incriminating him in something.

Dont get me wrong, I still want to keep playing to piece together the rest of what happens (and I get the impression that this will have a less open ending than Her Story.  And I suspect I've skipped a big chunk of stuff so what I've seen doesnt quite make sense yet (I've barely seen the other 2 women yet).  Gonna spend my afternoon piecing the rest together I think

Well I ended up binging this last night and feel I'm nearing my playthrough end after about 5 hours. I looked at your spoiler above and stopped reading after a bit as I'm yet to go down that rabbit hole. What you need to know is that there are multiple stories going on here and I have barely watched any of that character's videos. Instead I focussed on another plotline and have come across big revelations of my own. There isn't just one big reveal in this game, there are multiple strands and events, so don't be worried you have uncovered "the truth" right at the start. I've just read a review that says most people only discover half of the possible videos in a playthrough so that means there should still be plenty to go back and uncover after the credits roll. 

Overall I've really enjoyed it, the pressure is on in my last session to uncover as many revelations as possible. Really curious to go through it again and follow some of the other threads. 

In case you are curious as to the rabbit hole I went down (don't read unless you have played plenty of the game):

I've been focussing on David and his undercover work in the organisation, also leading to revelations about his family, his triple life, dark events in his past, a resolution to the cam girl thread. But mainly I've been trying to find out about the spy stuff he was getting into, although there are still a few bits of that timeline which are unclear.

Looking forward to swapping stories later with other people who have seen most of the games content to see what lines of investigation people followed and what order they got things in.

Turns out I was literally only minutes away from the end of the game! I'm not sure if it was finding what I think is the "final" clip in the timeline or whether I ran out of time, but I mananged to clear up one of the mysteries I was looking for. According to the game, I only saw about half of the available videos, and even then there are so many that I never scrubbed back through meaning there are still hours and hours of digging and watching to do.

I definitely reached "the end", however there is still a great deal I don't know, and I only got one character summary, ironically being the one I spent the least time with. I spent 5-6 hours on the game so far, but I feel like I could have easily reached that last file a few hours sooner. Even if I had, just like Her Story the endings don't mean anything unless you actually understand what led up to that point and the character's motivations.

@George Clooney

I re-read your spoiler and actually I have seen the file you ended up talking about. Although it is a biggish reveal don't worry, it's only one of many. Testament to the game's sneaky nature really, that's why I'm interested in seeing how people got to different endings.

I'm going to talk massive spoilers about the stories I uncovered and the ending here, so DO NOT READ unless you feel you have seen all of the game's content, even if you did one playthrough be warned I might mention things you've yet to see. 

BIG SPOILERS

I'll go into more detail another time, but the order I found things out went something like this:

- David is working undercover and seems to be having some kind of affair with cam girl

- Find video of group circle meeting where Ava is shown with David

- David also seems to have something going on with Ava

- Uncover mention of a protest where things got heated and follow that line, leading to lots of info about Green Storm, Eric and Peter

- Now its clear David is in a full blown relationship with Ava as well

- Meanwhile finding various cam girl videos although focussing more on the Ava/Green Storm threads

- Also discover David has a little girl in a rather surprising moment, this leads to more info on David's relationship with his wife

- Something bad happened to Ava, she gets kidnapped or something when David is on the phone to her, although it seems she made it out. Suspect something related to Peter, I know Peters background and that David steps in at some point, just not the specifics.

- Ava is a means to an end as we see David talking about her to his FBI boss, however its still unclear if she is a minor agent herself given how the FBI talks about her.

- Ava pregnant reveal (can't remember how I came across this one). Maybe chasing the word Pooky?

- Uncover info about the bridge planning, traitors in Green Storm, and Mike, after following leads about FBI, bridge, pipeline and so on. David gets screwed over by another mole and is at risk of being pulled out of the operation, also he unmasks Simon.

- Running out of leads so start following old bookmarks I never chased up. Discover sinister story about Paul's death in David's past.

- Following a mention of Melissa, find a big reveal video where she tells him everything is fake and threatens him.

- Also discover a video showing David trying to see his and Ava's child, but apparently things didn't end well between those two as she doesn't want him anywhere near

- Find video of David confronting Melissa at her home and getting shot

- Uncover various clips about David and FBI boss arguing about him having to get out of Green Storm and the operation coming to a conclusion. Still have to find out excactly what happened.

- Running out of leads again, so follow up "Star" (name of David and Ava's child as revealed in the video where he tries to see his kid). This leads to the "final" video where David blows up the bridge. At first I thought this was earlier in the timeline but I suspect this is the last video. Especially as scrubbing back in this video I discover he's already been shot by Melissa, which I already know happens somewhere at the very end of the timeline. I think I could have found this video much earlier if I'd chased the keywords "Water is Life" which is mentioned in a David/Ava video, which was a lead I had bookmarked but never chased.

This last reveal leads to the end of the game, although my in-game time was already 5:10am - so I think I was on the verge of getting caught anyway - given that people have said it takes 5-6 hours to play. So after you upload the video files, the woman destroys the hard drive and escapes her flat whilst FBI agents are knocking on doors, then has a fag on the roof looking happy.I still had no clue who this woman I was playing as was, my only hunch was it may be Karen, a woman I'd only seen mentioned twice, and seen once - in a video where she comes to visit David at his flat, getting him in trouble with his undercover role. As she looked kind of similar I guessed it could be the woman at the end, and this was confirmed in the final document you view. Annoyingly I didn't manage to uncover Karen's true role (aside from being part of the FBI plan), and why she wanted to leak the stuff. I can only guess she wanted to reveal David's FBI background and history after his final terrorist act. I'll have to do more digging.

I ended up getting a conclusion video for Melissa, despite having spent the least time watching her videos. I guess by uncovering the last few of her timeline I triggered that. Although I unlocked quite a lot of her videos, I usually skipped them as I didn't find the story thread very interesting compared to the spy stuff (although she is one sexy lady!). I don't know if there are other conclusion videos but I'm guessing so. I feel like although I hit quite a lot of the big reveals, there is still a lot I don't know and maybe a few more biggies to find. I can now go back and continue trawling, I don't know if I will time out, get caught by the FBI as its after 5am, and have to start a new game? We'll see.

For further investigation I want to see how Green Storm went down in the end. I need to scrub back through and watch tons of footage at the start of video clips. I need to start watching the Melissa story. I want to find out more about what happens between David and his wife, like what leads to the Paul conversation and what happens afterwards. I want to know more about what David did to Peter, and Ava's apparent kidnapping. There are lots of random keywords I'm sure will lead to more clues, like foods, place names, fantasy tales. I have a lot of conversations where I have only seen one side of them, probably missing out on important info. Lots still to do!

Also interested to know if you actually get interrupted by the FBI if you don't find that final video. Does she just upload anyway? And what happens if you chase "Star" or "Water is Life" fairly early? Can you just end the  game there?

Yeah, I kind of assumed there'd be more - it advertises 4 main characters and I've barely seen 2 of them yet, so i figured that there's a lot more twists and turns, and I dont even know what the one I've seen is about!

I'm playing it on a PC and it feels very much like the interface is designed with mobile users in mind, even though its set as someone on a computer.  Theres no youtube style bar to scrub through, you have to rewind and fast forward at whatever speed you pick.  The interface is good aside from that minor quibble though, i like being able to highlight the words in the subtitles to search them.

On 22/08/2019 at 13:25, bradigor said:

Sam Barlow does great stuff, will get this once (hopefully) on a console. 

All that typing on a console? Maybe switch. But one of the few games i would play on Pc/Mac. That said gone iPad myself. But I have a keyboard case. 

After a few mins play my bug bear is that without trying to spoil things so far you listen to lots of one sided conversations which means watching pauses whilst the unheard person speaks, or fast forwarding which is immersion breaking. 

I was transfixed in her story, but this messes the pacing a bit. 

32 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

All that typing on a console? Maybe switch. But one of the few games i would play on Pc/Mac. That said gone iPad myself. But I have a keyboard case. 

After a few mins play my bug bear is that without trying to spoil things so far you listen to lots of one sided conversations which means watching pauses whilst the unheard person speaks, or fast forwarding which is immersion breaking. 

Yeah, makes sense. I played Her Story and loved it. Interviewed Sam Barlow for Gamestyle because of it too. One of my favourite games. 

On 24/08/2019 at 22:27, LaveDisco said:

I agree, the one sided conversations work well sometimes, but the waiting around hurts the pacing a lot, plus you don't really want to fast forward in case you miss some kind of reaction or other visual clue. It's probably my biggest bugbear of the game. I think one sided conversations are great for the mystery and getting a feel for the character's personality, but its overused.

Have no fear folks, it seems once the credits roll you can go video trawling to your hearts delight. I've started my to-do list and already found some very good files, including one that sheds a lot more light on one of the major mysteries of the game. I also found clues in the early videos that could steer people in totally different directions to me.

I will always be amazed by how Barlow structures the narrative in this game by gating off the keywords, or at least planting seeds for them. There are some videos which you'll only get to via one keyword, but bear in mind each keyword gives 5 results. So he can reveal little chunks of the narrative at the time, with each new video leading to further new keywords. Can you imagine how complicated that must be to plan out? His wall must look like A Beautiful Mind! 

And then Barlow (and his co-writer) has to also ensure he doesn't accidentally reuse important keywords in other clips which would spoil the flow of the narrative. That must make writing the script even harder. There are so many keywords where you expect to get loads of video clips when you type them in. But - you often only get one or two pings, which allows the creators to feed you exactly the clips they want you to see at that moment. It's genius.

• Upvote 1

There should be something unlockable that allows you to play 2 clips so you can play conversations with both sides.  That would be neat, even if its only available after the end.  I find it kind of interesting trying to match clips together - at first I thought the date/time would give it away, but it doesnt always, I'm assuming thats due to time zone differences, which is a neat detail if so.

• Upvote 1

I pretty much found out all the big story points without really understanding why and got the upload ability after watching only 93 files. I'm going to go back today and try and understand things a bit better. 

ENDGAME SPOILAGE DON'T LOOK UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED

Spoiler

So David has three identities, his "real" one being David Smith? He kills himself on the boat because he's such a lying cheat and Maxine/ melissa has all the videos on him as far as I can understand?

He gave Peter a beating because of Ava and she got swatted for still unknown reasons, presumably to maintain his cover?

I still think he isn't actually dead for some reason but I couldn't find ant videos after the bomb one. 

He got the bomb from his old dealer, harry.

I think Emma leaves him too but never quite found the actual end point of that relationship and I'm not entirely sure why Karen was even looking through these files, she's also a cop but perhaps an ex of his too but that might have just been cover story. 

No real idea what exactly happened with green storm or if they took down sovereign in any way really either...

It's bloody good though in my opinion, a lovely way of unravelling a puzzle but yeah, I think the marketing was a bit off as it suggested you would be looking through text docs or other types of formats but it's only the video unless there's some hidden emails or some such later. 

Would be a great mechanic as part of a bigger game like the sherlock or LA noire type thing, or even obra dinn but it's very engaging and well done as it is. 

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

I pretty much found out all the big story points without really understanding why and got the upload ability after watching only 93 files. I'm going to go back today and try and understand things a bit better. 

ENDGAME SPOILAGE DON'T LOOK UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED

Hide contents

So David has three identities, his "real" one being David Smith? He kills himself on the boat because he's such a lying cheat and Maxine/ melissa has all the videos on him as far as I can understand?

He gave Peter a beating because of Ava and she got swatted for still unknown reasons, presumably to maintain his cover?

I still think he isn't actually dead for some reason but I couldn't find ant videos after the bomb one. 

He got the bomb from his old dealer, harry.

I think Emma leaves him too but never quite found the actual end point of that relationship and I'm not entirely sure why Karen was even looking through these files, she's also a cop but perhaps an ex of his too but that might have just been cover story. 

No real idea what exactly happened with green storm or if they took down sovereign in any way really either...

It's bloody good though in my opinion, a lovely way of unravelling a puzzle but yeah, I think the marketing was a bit off as it suggested you would be looking through text docs or other types of formats but it's only the video unless there's some hidden emails or some such later. 

Would be a great mechanic as part of a bigger game like the sherlock or LA noire type thing, or even obra dinn but it's very engaging and well done as it is. 

More endgame spoilers:

Not entirely sure on that one about David, although he says three names at the end I can only see him needing two, one for his real life and one for his infiltration, unless at some point he gives Melissa his last name.

He kills himself because basically he's ruined every relationship he had, exposed by Melissa, got booted from his mission prematurely and probably sick of all the lies which led to this point, he wants to redeem himself in some way and seems he ends up rooting for the eco cause in the end.

He beats up Peter due to a past event involving Ava but I won't spoil that as you can dig into it yourself.

I found one Harry file that seems to indicate he probably got the bomb from him but there may be other collaborating files I haven't found yet.

I'm still looking for the breaking point between David and Emma, I've certainly found some very good reasons for it including a dark secret but I've yet to find an actual breakup video.

Karen is indeed an ex, when she meets him in one video he calls her an ex and its confirmed in the post game report if you look at the scribbled red notes. I found a new Karen file yesterday which shows more of her involvement in the case but there may be more which hopefully explain a little better why she wants to whistleblow the case.

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

More endgame spoilers:

Hide contents

Not entirely sure on that one about David, although he says three names at the end I can only see him needing two, one for his real life and one for his infiltration, unless at some point he gives Melissa his last name.

He kills himself because basically he's ruined every relationship he had, exposed by Melissa, got booted from his mission prematurely and probably sick of all the lies which led to this point, he wants to redeem himself in some way and seems he ends up rooting for the eco cause in the end.

He beats up Peter due to a past event involving Ava but I won't spoil that as you can dig into it yourself.

I found one Harry file that seems to indicate he probably got the bomb from him but there may be other collaborating files I haven't found yet.

I'm still looking for the breaking point between David and Emma, I've certainly found some very good reasons for it including a dark secret but I've yet to find an actual breakup video.

Karen is indeed an ex, when she meets him in one video he calls her an ex and its confirmed in the post game report if you look at the scribbled red notes. I found a new Karen file yesterday which shows more of her involvement in the case but there may be more which hopefully explain a little better why she wants to whistleblow the case.

Yet more endgame spoilers, just replying to you really

Spoiler

His real name is Smith and he's known as Miller to harry and Jones to the green storm lot. 

I know about Ava and Peter was just trying to not be too specific even with spoiler tags :)

Harry specifically says about the bomb and not wanting it traced back to him. 

Emma and the "waiting in the car" part with Paul? That's the one thing I definitely know about. 

Yeah the notes too regarding Karen but in that there's some involvement with her and the green storm case I'm still unsure and arguably why would she need (or want) to pay for the DB just to find out about an ex? Must be more there. 

Also I'm sure something more must happen with Mike. 

I got "political" reason given in the notes, what about you?

11 hours ago, b00dles said:

Yet more endgame spoilers, just replying to you really

Reveal hidden contents

His real name is Smith and he's known as Miller to harry and Jones to the green storm lot. 

I know about Ava and Peter was just trying to not be too specific even with spoiler tags :)

Harry specifically says about the bomb and not wanting it traced back to him. 

Emma and the "waiting in the car" part with Paul? That's the one thing I definitely know about. 

Yeah the notes too regarding Karen but in that there's some involvement with her and the green storm case I'm still unsure and arguably why would she need (or want) to pay for the DB just to find out about an ex? Must be more there. 

Also I'm sure something more must happen with Mike. 

I got "political" reason given in the notes, what about you?

Re: Boodle (endgame spoilers)

Ah, didn't know David had a different last name for Harry. I only found one Harry file so far and it wasn't the one mentioning the explosives, just one involving a dead drop that hinted that the explosives was what they were talking about. So I've still got some Harry stuff to find evidently.

Yes the Paul incident was the main thing with Emma I was talking about, plus of course the other more recent goofs David has made to piss her off. For the Paul vid maybe I need to rewind it because she mentions she isn't scared of David any more at the end, but that's a bit random to just say that, as though David has earlier threatened her or something. I'm wondering what events led up to that point. And probably there is some breakup argument afterwards which could be another file to see, or at least its aftermath.

There's definitely more with Karen. Aside from the videos featuring her name, I have found another one with her in it which has some juicy nuggets, and I suspect there are more vids with her in them to give us more context.

I also got Political reasons for Karen in the final report. I wonder who "JH" is who wrote the red pen in the report, I think I've yet to find a JH in the videos. Maybe they are featured somewhere as well.

Right now I am really hoping to find out more about Karen, the end of Green Storm, Emmas bustup with David, and whether anything happened with David and the FBI after he gets taken off the case. I do wonder if there is more with Mike as well, I've found a bunch of his conversations with David but I wonder if David ever has a final falling out with Mike or some kind of confrontation. I'd also be interested to see if you ever get Mike speaking to someone other than David. Probably will have an investigation tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Re: Boodle (endgame spoilers)

Hide contents

Ah, didn't know David had a different last name for Harry. I only found one Harry file so far and it wasn't the one mentioning the explosives, just one involving a dead drop that hinted that the explosives was what they were talking about. So I've still got some Harry stuff to find evidently.

Yes the Paul incident was the main thing with Emma I was talking about, plus of course the other more recent goofs David has made to piss her off. For the Paul vid maybe I need to rewind it because she mentions she isn't scared of him any more at the end, but that's a bit random to just say that, as though David has earlier threatened her or something. I'm wondering what events led up to that point. And probably there is some breakup argument afterwards which could be another file to see, or at least its aftermath.

There's definitely more with Karen. Aside from the videos featuring her name, I have found another one with her in it which has some juicy nuggets, and I suspect there are more vids with her in them to give us more context.

I also got Political reasons for Karen in the final report. I wonder who "JH" is who wrote the red pen in the report, I think I've yet to find a JH in the videos. Maybe they are featured somewhere as well.

Right now I am really hoping to find out more about Karen, the end of Green Storm, Emmas bustup with David, and whether anything happened with David and the FBI after he gets taken off the case. I do wonder if there is more with Mike as well, I've found a bunch of his conversations with David but I wonder if David ever has a final falling out with Mike or some kind of confrontation. I'd also be interested to see if you ever get Mike speaking to someone other than David. Probably will have an investigation tomorrow.

I think we must have found similar files aside from a few by the sounds of it. I didn't get round to further investigation but I'm intrigued to find out more. 

If you're interested in breaking the fourth wall, all of the clips are in the game installation folder (at least in Steam), in chronological order.

Got through it understanding the broad strokes but it was good to fill in the gaps. Felt there were a fair few clips that you'd need to start putting in phrases for so don't feel entirely dirty about watching the rest.

Probably the saddest thing about the whole thing is:

Uber-ending spoilers:

he makes a video before blowing up the bridge

and none of them watch it.

• Upvote 1

This is an amazing game. Sam Barlow is incredible at this. It's such a good way of telling stories, there is something really special creating a personal narrative. As good as say, Bandersnatch is, it doesn't come close to something like this.

I showed my girlfriend the trailer to Her Story a few weeks ago and she really liked the idea of it, so we played through it together. I really liked watching her uncover the narrative in a different way to me. And then seeing her stay up late after finishing it and reading up theories on reddit. I showed her some footage of the real life cases it was based on and stuff. It is still really good.

(I really loved the teaser trailer for this by the way, it's much better than the longer version and the music is beautiful) 

Spoiler

We have been playing Telling Lies together over the last few days. We started out not knowing the events that it was based on but it turned out to be quite different. 

So this is a long post and I guess I can't discuss anything from here without big spoilers, and also a few links-

Spoiler

A few years ago, well around 2008, I lived on a road in Forest Fields in Nottingham, which was quite close to a community center.

They did all sorts, it was a social hub, a gig venue, a community garden. They do free or pay what you can food nights for the locals, provide access to computers for people who needed them, a volunteer run bar. A place to meet and organise and a safe space for many. Loads of stuff.

Me and my housemates, people from work all used to go there quite a lot in the evenings as we we lived a little bit out of the city centre and most of the pubs around there had closed down or were not particularly inviting. Lots of people lived, volunteered and made friendships there over the years and will have lots stories to tell about it. 

It was, and still is called The Sumac Centre

(A better explanation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumac_Centre )

There is a large flat above the Sumac, and it is one of the places my girlfriend first lived when she first moved to Nottingham, I helped paint her room and have spent a fair bit of time there over the years.  

It's called the Jasmine Centre in the game, and Ava's room looked pretty familiar to us. (Although I'm a bit sad they left out the cats that also used to live there, probably a bit tricky to film so they get a pass) 

The game is based on Mark Kennendy and the women he abused as an undercover cop, who spent seven years infiltrating an activist group based in the midlands.  

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/mar/26/mark-kennedy-undercover-cop-environmental-activist

Kennedy experienced heavy-handed policing first-hand. In 2006 he was beaten up by officers on the perimeter fence of the Drax power station. He says he was trying to protect a woman being hit on the legs with a baton when he was jumped by five uniformed officers – they were there only because he had tipped off his handlers. "They kicked and beat me. They had batons and pummelled my head. One officer repeatedly stamped on my back. I had my finger broken, a big cut on my head and a prolapsed disc." There were plenty of other incidents, he says. "I experienced a lot of unjust policing. At times, I was appalled at being a police officer."

But he says that some of the best things in his life also happened as Mark Stone – and not just the dramatic stuff. "There are some amazing social centres that are all voluntary-based. Take the Sumac Centre in Nottingham, a community garden that provides free food. If you had a social centre like that in every city, it would be great. And I was fortunate enough to be involved in that and see how it works."

And this became his community? "Yes. So many people I knew, or Mark Stone knew, became really good friends. It wasn't just about being an activist all the time."

https://www.leftlion.co.uk/read/2013/december/undercover-the-true-story-of-britains-secret-police-6376/

There are a few articles, books, documentaries and even a stage play based on what happened, which we saw it when it opened in Nottingham, and it has a better take on how the actions of these police affected the lives of the people involved than most of the articles focusing on Kennedy. I think the game is good at this too. I wasn't convinced by David, even at the end. He died being selfish. Thinking of his legacy rather than whatever he thought of the cause.  

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/undercover-with-paul-lewis-and-rob-evans/2016/jan/29/new-play-brings-undercover-spy-scandal-to-the-stage

https://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk/whats-on/drama/any-means-necessary/

It was pretty surreal and heartbreaking playing this out, knowing what happened and being connected to it somehow. Even if it was only by location. 

The Sumac is still going, but not nearly as strongly as it used to. I think this case hurt the community and the centre a lot. But the saddest thing is that this wasn't the only time this happened, it was endemic. Cops were doing this all over the place. Raping women and destroying families. It is institutionalised rape and deception.

I loved the game, the performances are absolutely incredible. It's great how it changes up and updates the way you discover the narrative compared to Her Story. I really liked sitting with a notepad and pen and deciding what to discover with my partner. It will be something I will always remember. 

ACAB out of 10

Does this need any kind of decent GPU to run on a PC, or could my bog standard i5 Asus run it with it being video based? Otherwise I'll go for the iPad version. I'm a bit of a Logan Marshall-Green fanboy, so have been looking forward to playing this.

8 hours ago, SteveH said:

Does this need any kind of decent GPU to run on a PC, or could my bog standard i5 Asus run it with it being video based? Otherwise I'll go for the iPad version. I'm a bit of a Logan Marshall-Green fanboy, so have been looking forward to playing this.

I think it will run on a toaster so you should be fine.

• Upvote 1