rllmuk
spork

World of Warcraft Classic - Goes live 11pm this Monday!

JVIX5HPT66L41555957772316.png

WoW is going back to where it all started with the relaunch of WoW Classic which is out next week. There has been some chat hidden away in the random wow thread in the online forum, but this probably deserves it's very own thread.

Back to the days where the game was more social. Where working together with others was important and where dungeons weren't just a quick 20 minute faceroll with no one talking to each other. Back to when your class choice actually meant something and when Paladins and Shamans were only playable on one side.

You only need a subscription to the current game to be able to play.

I played WoW from release day until some point before WOTLK came out and it was amazing. Since then I've tried pretty much every MMO that has come out and they have all ended up being a bit of a disappointment, probably because they never lived up to the fun that was the early days of WoW. I am beyond hyped!

Rllmuk does WoW Classic discord https://discord.gg/hGtAhT8

Rllmuk player and server list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IkRiGQTa8i2mxiHXkfjoOXqdf1bEyet3jqqmzbrV4x4/edit?usp=sharing 

• Upvote 1

I’ve not been following this at all. Is the classic version the original graphics engine and therefore will work on my ancient laptop?

2 hours ago, Droo said:

I’ve not been following this at all. Is the classic version the original graphics engine and therefore will work on my ancient laptop?

It is based on one of the more recent engines, so will look a lot better than it was able to back then. You can also set it to Classic settings which make it look a lot more like it did.

PC Minimum Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom X3 8750
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB or AMD Radeon HD 4850 512MB or Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • RAM: 2GB (4 GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics series)
  • Storage: 5GB available space
  • Internet: Broadband internet connection
  • Input: Keyboard and mouse required. Other input devices are not supported.
  • Resolution: 1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

Mac Minimum Requirements

• CPU: Intel® Core i5, 2.0 GHz or better
  • GPU: Metal capable GPU with 1GB VRAM
  • RAM: 2GB RAM (4GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics series)
  • Internet: Broadband internet connection
  • Input: Keyboard and mouse required. Other input devices are not supported.
  • Resolution: 1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

Basically it will run on most systems without any issue. :D

So, what's the idea of this then? Are they ever going to add new content or will it just stay the same so it can still be "classic" wow. If they do add new content surely it will just turn into the game as it is currently eventually. 

I have to wonder that if they did a WoW Classic: Wrath of the Lich King, would that have more people playing than a base WoW classic?

It had the highest playerbase of all time for an mmo, and the villain was easily the best in the series, with him popping up in almost every quest and dungeon.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, spork said:

Back to the days where the game was more social. Where working together with others was important

I barely have time for games now, much less MMOs, but this is 100% what it was about for me, and it always made me sad when the community essentially got tired and switched focus to min/maxing and raiding. 

Good luck, hope everyone has a blast. 

re: the tech aspect - it's the Legion graphics engine using the Vanilla model data. There's a classic preset in the video options to make it look more like it was. i.e. shit water and blob shadows etc. (https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/243159)

Classic runs faster than vanilla, has much more doodad/grass density and lighting is a bit different. They've used the vanilla textures for almost everything. Most large textured areas look like ass just as they were back in the day. Things probably look even worse now since everyone has moved on from 1024x768.

7 hours ago, Sumire said:

So, what's the idea of this then? Are they ever going to add new content or will it just stay the same so it can still be "classic" wow. If they do add new content surely it will just turn into the game as it is currently eventually. 

It's based on 6 content phases that will last a total of approx 2 years. They release the content in order of how it came out back in the day.

Phase 1 (Classic Launch): Molten Core, Onyxia, Maraudon

Phase 2: Dire Maul, Azuregos, Kazzak

Phase 3: Blackwing Lair, Darkmoon Faire, Darkmoon deck drops begin

Phase 4: Zul'Gurub, Green Dragons

Phase 5: Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins, Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates, Dungeon loot reconfiguration (Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes)

Phase 6: Naxxramas, Scourge Invasion

They don't really know what they are doing afterwards. Sounds like they are open to going straight into TBC or even potentially making new content in a similar way to Old School RuneScape.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

I barely have time for games now, much less MMOs, but this is 100% what it was about for me, and it always made me sad when the community essentially got tired and switched focus to min/maxing and raiding. 

Good luck, hope everyone has a blast. 

Yeah this is why I've ignored it. It's not even a "MUST RESIST HNNNNNN" type thing, it's just I have so many life events and changes and friendships tied into those early days the game alone could never live up to it so I'm happy to leave it where it is.

I’m certainly interested but like most I’m at a very different time in my life now: proper job, baby, wife. 

I dont think wow wow can really fit into most people’s lives now!

• Empathy 1

WoW launched just after I got made redundant. I played it sun up to sun down for nearly 3 months till I finally got my arse in gear. No wonder I remember it so fondly :)

1 hour ago, Droo said:

I’m certainly interested but like most I’m at a very different time in my life now: proper job, baby, wife. 

I dont think wow wow can really fit into most people’s lives now!

There are going to be loads of people like this who are still planning on playing. I think the thing about original WoW is that it was about the journey of leveling up rather than having to be a full time player to do dungeons and raid. There are going to be tons of casual guilds popping up where everyone can appreciate that life comes first.

@spork does the subscription apply to both versions of WOW then? So if I didn't like modern or classic versions I can switch to the other? What about characters, are they transferable or they both separate games?

Yeah a subscription works for both. They are classed as separate games though so characters/inventory/gold is all separate. 

There doesn't seem to be a massive rllmuk contingent playing this time around. I've found a pretty relaxed group of mostly Bristolians who are going to be on Firemaw PVP server so that's where I'll probably be at least! If you are wanting to join I can send you an invite for their server.

Edit. Also maybe the rppvp server.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spork said:

Yeah a subscription works for both. They are classed as separate games though so characters/inventory/gold is all separate. 

There doesn't seem to be a massive rllmuk contingent playing this time around. I've found a pretty relaxed group of mostly Bristolians who are going to be on Firemaw PVP server so that's where I'll probably be at least! If you are wanting to join I can send you an invite for their server.

If you could please. I have an account set up but I haven't subbed yet, will sort it out and download the client tonight :)

So I went to preinstall the Classic version of the game to see if I could replicate my old Orc Warlocks look and have the character ready to go before the game comes out. Turns out, that my Mac is too old to play a game that is twice its age. When the Metal API came out, Blizzard moved to it, and Macs bought before 2012 simply can't run the game because the graphics cards they came with can't support the API. Or something. Not quite sure on the technicalities but having a browse through the Blizz forums it seems this happened a year ago, and there is no workaround.

I have a 2011 Mac that does literally everything else I need it to, so that basically rules me out of playing a game that came in out 2004. Not going to drop a bunch of money on a new computer to play a game I might give up playing in a month.

I'm actually surprisingly disappointed.

Oh well.

• Empathy 1

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Is it actually running on the old graphics engine and everything? I'd assumed it was all remade in the new(ish) engine.

It is remade with one of the more up to date engines, but it is still quite flexible on what it can run on (ignoring Macs).

Macs are just crap like that. Least with windows machines there are generally workarounds.

Once a mac is unsupported it very quickly becomes a paperweight albeit for a few exceptions. I have a mac mini from around the same time @The Grand Pursuivant and I think literally all I use it for is to transfer stuff to my ipad when required and errrm, that's it I think :lol:

31 minutes ago, Rayn said:

My eldest son (soon to be 15) just bought his very first gaming PC and I suspected he was going to play R6 Siege and Black Ops 4 with his friends, but he overlooked me playing WoW the other night and decided he wanted to give it a try. He downloaded the starter edition and I made a new character to play with him from the very first quest. 

After our very first session he said it was the most fun he'd had in ages with a game and couldn't wait to play the next day.

He started to ask about my history with the game and I told him of my humble beginnings and my journey through a couple of guilds and the drama, the raids, the friendships I'd made and just about everything I could remember. I could tell that my stories fueled his interest a lot more and asked if he could sub as soon as he hit level 20, which is the level cap for the free version. 

I said that he could do so if he got better at doing chores around the house, that he prioritise school work and his real life friends first and foremost, then he could play the game as long as he didn't neglect those things. 

Now, a few days later, his room has never looked this tidy since he was a toddler, his homework has been done properly every day this week and he's helped me with various stuff around the house. I bought him a sub on thursday and he disappeared to his room. I played with him up to level 20, gave him a couple thousand gold and told him to venture on without me.

As much as I want to hold his hand throughout his journey forth I reminded myself that the best memories I have from the game are from my exploration and the fact that I didn't know what lurked across the next border. I wanted him to explore and not be told what to do and I wanted him to find his own adventures, comrades and perhaps a guild. 

It was with mixed feelings I watched him mount his black wolf and ride off towards Azshara at the back entrance of Orgrimmar, my beautiful green Orc son, already sporting a long braided beard at the age of 15, oblivious to the dangers and friendships awaiting him out there in the glorious world of Azeroth.

Go forth my child, for your axe is sharp and skulls must be cracked. /cry

At least get him to play classic so he can understand the true hardships of having to run from Thunderbluff all the way to Orgrimmar!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, spork said:

At least get him to play classic so he can understand the true hardships of having to run from Thunderbluff all the way to Orgrimmar!

Ah yes, he's very interested in giving it a go and wondered if he could join the Muk guild as well if he liked it. I told him that shouldn't be a problem but I doubt he'll enjoy Classic very much now that he's played Easy Mode for a week. 

Edit: He actually said something interesting the other day. He was a bit unsure about the whole joining a guild thing as he had the impression that WoW was a bit like Facebook, it's full of old people :lol: 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Edit: He actually said something interesting the other day. He was a bit unsure about the whole joining a guild thing as he had the impression that WoW was a bit like Facebook, it's full of old people :lol: 

To be fair, these days a muk guild would be full of old people!

• Upvote 2