IGNORED

Beyond A Steel Sky

Unofficial Who

• 3 weeks later...

The Apple keynote yesterday showed this, and then said you couldn't get "these games" anywhere else.

My interpretation of this, is that it's now Apple exclusive. Unless the Apple version is different in some way, perhaps.

Personally I don’t like the art style straight away. Very cartoony kinda ratchet and clank ish where the original has a darker vibe and looks more Bladerunner in tone ish. Not saying it’s going to be a bad game though.

I never actually played the original until about 7 years or so ago. Not too long but great point and click adventure. 

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

This is sort of related but I've just released my 99th podcast episode on the Amiga port of Beneath a Steel Sky. Revolution Software were happy to answer questions on the history of the game and I've done my best to walk through every part. I'm probably as close as you can get to a super fan so this is a bit of a love in :lol:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-podcast-episode-99-beneath-a-steel-sky/

That is a good podcast man, well done. 

On 15/09/2019 at 03:37, Lorfarius said:

This is sort of related but I've just released my 99th podcast episode on the Amiga port of Beneath a Steel Sky. Revolution Software were happy to answer questions on the history of the game and I've done my best to walk through every part. I'm probably as close as you can get to a super fan so this is a bit of a love in :lol:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-podcast-episode-99-beneath-a-steel-sky/

This was great a great episode, by the way. When I'm done with AC Origins, I fancy a play through of BASS for a change of pace. 

6 hours ago, TehStu said:

This was great a great episode, by the way. When I'm done with AC Origins, I fancy a play through of BASS for a change of pace. 

Thanks :D Really pleased with how well this turned out. It has its niggles but for me will always be one of the best graphic adventures to keep going back to. So easy to get wrapped up in it that I went right through to the end (again!) when I'd done recording footage. Just oozes atmosphere.

Took the opportunity to play through BASS after hearing about this. I'd started in the past, but never got far.

It's great, but I'm glad Revolution sorted out their puzzles and pacing. It's actually quite a small game, but the inability to skin ponderous walking cycles - and the puzzles that revolve around speaking to the same person three damn times - stretch it out a bit.

It was fun worldbuilding, and a great start to their legacy, but a remaster would probably be finishable in an hour or two without the padding.

Yeah you have to whack the game speed up in the F5 menu in the original if you don't want the walk cycles to completely do your nut.

I hadn't seen this video about the sequel before, there's a bit more about the game's systems:

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, robotattack said:

This seems to have flown under the radar, but it's out on Apple Arcade now. It's supposed to be coming out on other formats, but there doesn't seem to be any firm details about the releases date(s) for those.

*shakes fist at Apple Arcade*

I'm surprised it's out so soon - and actually a tiny bit worried, as it felt like a game with a fair amount of ambition, so I hope it had enough resources to do it justice. Either way, sounds like I'll be finding out in July!

On 15/09/2019 at 12:07, deKay said:

The original is free, as in, totally free, to download anyway. It’s been freeware for about 20 years.

I’ll have to try it again sometime. I can’t remember if I had the full game or just a demo on the Amiga, but never really got into despite several attempts. Not quite sure if that was a proper abandoning or a reaching the end of the demo and not thinking it was worth a full price purchase though :unsure:

2 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I’ll have to try it again sometime. I can’t remember if I had the full game or just a demo on the Amiga, but never really got into despite several attempts. Not quite sure if that was a proper abandoning or a reaching the end of the demo and not thinking it was worth a full price purchase though :unsure:

You can get the original Beneath a Steel Sky for Windows, Mac and Linux on Good Old Games. For free.