rllmuk
yakumo

Parasite 2019 - Bong Joon-ho

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Regarding the hype surrounding the movie - I’ve got to say my expectations were set high. “We can’t describe what crazy stuff happens in this movie - you’ve just got to see it!”  I thought I was going to watch a David Lynch or Takashi Miike level of batshit crazy, fever-dream narrative movie. I kept waiting for that to kick in and for it all to start unravelling and... it doesn’t. 

It’s a really great film but definitely not the one the hype led me to believe. 

To be fair, noone should ever believe hype. 

I never read or heard any such breathless hype about  this until very recently. It was just slow burning word of mouth that raised awareness and interest which, along with having liked pretty much all the other work that I'd seen by Joon-Ho, made it a must see. It did not dissapoint. 

The advice to not know anything about it prior to watching is sound though but that's not bad advice to take into most movies to be fair.. 

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

The advice to not know anything about it prior to watching is sound though but that's not bad advice to take into most movies to be fair.. 

Well said, but yes, I’m not entirely sure I understand why Parasite has been particularly singled out on this point. 

Yes, please don't give a platform to these 'losers', it only encourages them.

• Upvote 5

Just saw this. It was incredible. Knew nothing going in and shamefully haven’t seen any of the director’s work before. Which I will obviously be changing going forward. 

Yeah, loved it. Going to do The Lighthouse on Sunday then I’m pretty much up to date with this year’s Oscar picks. 

• Upvote 3

Can't get this film out of my head. 2019 had a lot of good films and I'm counting this as a 2019 film despite the absurdly late release here. It was the best film of that year, so I'm shocked the best film actually won the oscar. 

I love how Bong's films have this strange quirky jet black humour to them, gives everything a totally unique feel. 

The Glasgow Film Festival is showing the black and white version for those who are interested. I'm intrigued because for me the use of colour was especially striking and important.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

The Glasgow Film Festival is showing the black and white version for those who are interested. I'm intrigued because for me the use of colour was especially striking and important.

I heard Mark Kermode talking about the release of the black and white print, and he mentioned that Mother, Bong's 2013 film, got a b&w release too, which I watched last night. It was beautiful. I hadn't  seen Mother since it was first released, but this version left such a strong impression. It's a fanatastic film, and even more striking in monotone.

I can't wait to see Parasite again.

I do think the hype blunted this for me, I was expecting something more extreme or shocking to happen in what is really a film about inequality.

• Upvote 1

I always try not to over hype movies when I recommend them.

It's a pet peeve when people say a movie isn't good because it didn't live up to some incalculable expectation (not that you did that!).

Yeah some of the hype seemed to make out it was going to be a Takashi Miike meets David Lynch type of thing, for some reason. 

It isn't and if you expect it to be that you may be disappointed. 

It does what I want from a movie. It has a point, a meaning, and every aspect of the direction; the storytelling, camerawork, editing, set design, performances, all of itl point towards saying different things about that meaning. 

That'why it's a masterpiece, for me. I'm stunned the dude who played the Dad wasn't up for best anything at any of the awards. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Mugman said:

I'm stunned the dude who played the Dad wasn't up for best anything at any of the awards. 

It's incredibly hard to get a best acting nomination, let alone a win, if you're acting in a foreign language movie. Even if a foreign language movie gets multiple nominations in other major categories, the actors themselves will nearly always be snubbed. That's still a huge unconscious bias to reward the white, English speaking Hollywood crowd in the nominations. 

I knew nothing about this beforehand, and came out of the cinema with the biggest smile on my face (and tears in my eyes). Absolutely loved it. Such a refreshingly different story and so well told and acted. Can't wait to see it again.

• Upvote 3

Saw it today. Outstanding film that lived up to the hype; probably my favourite film of 2019. The only other one of Bong Joon-ho's films I've seen is Snowpiercer, when it turned up on Prime Video a few months ago - I liked that for its bizarre switches in tone, but I preferred Parasite by far.

Spoiler

The "ghost" peeking up from the basement!

A flooded corridor with flickering lights, immediately followed by a door used as a raft... Titanic reference?

As the credits started, I overheard someone walking out saying he thought Joker was better. I thought Joker was fine, but for me this is in a different league. (For one thing, its black comedy is actually funny:eyebrows:)

• Upvote 2

Is Mother worth tracking down? I really enjoyed this, thought Okja was good and Snowpiercer decidedly boring. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, I need to compose my thoughts fully, but my initial reaction is this is the best film I've seen in years. Loved every minute.

• Upvote 3

We went to see Parasite yesterday. I’m still processing it. I’d deliberately avoided any trailers and reviews so I went into it pretty much cold - just knowing it was a satire about wealth.

I don’t know what I was expecting but it exceeded anything I could have possibly expected. 

I can’t think of a better film I’ve seen in the last few years. I think I really need to see it again.

One thing that’s really stuck in my head:

The audience - including myself - laughing when the mother kicked the housemaid down the stairs. Before stopping abruptly realising what we were laughing at.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Is Mother worth tracking down? I really enjoyed this, thought Okja was good and Snowpiercer decidedly boring. 

Mother is definitely worth a watch. It’s on MUBI this month, along with The Host, In The Mood For Love and 2046. A great selection of Asian films well worth a month’s subscription (or the seven day free trial).

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

We went to see Parasite yesterday. I’m still processing it. I’d deliberately avoided any trailers and reviews so I went into it pretty much cold - just knowing it was a satire about wealth.

I don’t know what I was expecting but it exceeded anything I could have possibly expected. 

I can’t think of a better film I’ve seen in the last few years. I think I really need to see it again.

One thing that’s really stuck in my head:

Reveal hidden contents

The audience - including myself - laughing when the mother kicked the housemaid down the stairs. Before stopping abruptly realising what we were laughing at.

Yeah that bit and 

Spoiler

When the daughter grabs a bag of peaches and chucks them on the housemaid's face

made me laugh out loud which is something that films very rarely manage to do, but then I realised what I was actually laughing at was really dark. Such mixed feelings! Great experience.

I enjoyed this, particularly the first half, but I'm surprised at the overwhelming positivity, to be honest. There were two things that bothered me.

Spoiler

1. I found the morse code stuff so contrived. Why were the manual lights even down there? Just felt like a very forced plot device.

2. I had an awful time trying to firstly understand why the Dad killed Park (was he really that wound up by him referring to 'poor person smell' to just straight out murder him like that? Was it supposed to be allegorical?) and secondly, following that, I couldn't feel any sort of emotional response with the ending, despite it obviously being intended. Am I supposed to still have a connection with him despite his actions?

Have I missed something here? I've looked and can't find anything like satisfying answers. I understand the film is about social divides and people leeching off each other but it completely killed the ending for me.

22 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I enjoyed this, particularly the first half, but I'm surprised at the overwhelming positivity, to be honest. There were two things that bothered me.

Hide contents

1. I found the morse code stuff so contrived. Why were the manual lights even down there? Just felt like a very forced plot device.

2. I had an awful time trying to firstly understand why the Dad killed Park (was he really that wound up by him referring to 'poor person smell' to just straight out murder him like that? Was it supposed to be allegorical?) and secondly, following that, I couldn't feel any sort of emotional response with the ending, despite it obviously being intended. Am I supposed to still have a connection with him despite his actions?

Have I missed something here? I've looked and can't find anything like satisfying answers. I understand the film is about social divides and people leeching off each other but it completely killed the ending for me.

Literally: the moldy, wet basement smell that they all have from living in a damp basement.

Figuratively: the "smell" of poverty, of being lower class, and the idea that the rich will never think of them or see them as equals. The smell is a symbol for the poor family not belonging near the rich. Park's inability to stand the smell even as his son is in a life or death situation is the final straw for the father, that the rich can't stand the presence of the poor even in a situation like this.

Regarding Morse Code I assumed it to foreshadow to communicate to the outside so it didn't seem out of left field later I believe when it appears again.

Spoiler

And (IIRC) he'd just watched his daughter get stabbed, y'know that might have sent him over the edge somewhat...

One explanation for #1 that I read

Spoiler

Them foreshadowing it with the morse code doesn't explain why there's light switches in there.  If you remember though it is mean to be a panic room not just a basement. So if you were hiding from someone you could turn them off from there, possibly before they arrived. Still seemed a bit of as stretch.

For #2, it's worth pointing remembering that

Spoiler

When things went wrong, the Parks abandoned the help in order to look after their own, despite "Jessica" clearly requiring much more urgent medical attention.

This is finally available for rent on Google so I rented it this morning. And I'm struggling. Not with the movie, but the subtitles. Are Google Play subtitles always shit? This is the first subbed movie I've rented there. I can get past the almost teletext page 888 visual quality, but the timing is terrible and I'm sure it's missing lines due to timing. I'd take burned-in subs over this horrorshow.