Little Nightmares 2 - 11/2/21 for PC & last gen / 'Later' for PS5 & XSX - Demo available now!

Jamie John

This was announced at Gamescom earlier and is due to release next year. I thought the first game was very atmospheric and had a lot of potential but felt disappointingly short. Hopefully the developers have got a bit more money and manpower behind them this time to make something more elaborate. The trailer, with its various locations and new gameplay elements, suggests something a bit more substantial, at least.

One to watch.

• 1 year later...

Over a year later, but we got a second trailer for this in last night's Gamescom event:

I have to say it's looking god damn good, especially in 4K on an OLED screen. It looks like they've doubled down on the horror elements from the first game, too - there's some freaky shit going on. I'm a bit disappointed we won't see it this year, but I'm happy to wait if it's a better (and more filled out) game as a result. The staggered release dates for PS5 and XSX were a surprise, however; I'd have thought that, with it coming out in 2021, they'd have stuck to the same date for all platforms, but there we are.

Looking forward to it :)

• 3 months later...

A Steam demo came out for this on Thursday. It's only half an hour long. I've just played through it and thought it was good. More of the same, but that's ok with me. It looks and sounds excellent, just like the first game. Check it out!

A few screens from the demo:

Spoiler

20201212103355_1.thumb.jpg.d8d46af3c87d7fbcf61f661e78e01941.jpg

20201212104526_1.thumb.jpg.ea5380b4b7ee30ecc5b0e9da20d7b6d0.jpg

20201212105107_1.thumb.jpg.e95a55cf8112a7c3f18cb8953b2671ce.jpg

20201212105349_1.thumb.jpg.a7795d3df43b846e26c6edd64542872a.jpg

8 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm all over this. Will probably skip the demo to go into it fresh.

From what I can make out, the demo is just the first twenty minutes or so of the full game. There's just one enemy encounter and the rest of it is exploration and some light platform puzzling.

2 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Imagine if they could pull this off with the Moss-style VR diorama treatment. That would be great.

Ha, I've finished Moss recently and was thinking the exact same thing while I was playing the demo. It would be bloody terrifying, mind. Moss made me jump a couple of times as it is!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reviews are out! It's currently sitting at a very respectable 84/100 on OpenCritic, which is a full 5 points higher than the original. It does sound just as short as the first game, though, which is a bit of a shame, as I was hoping for a fuller experience. Still, I'll definitely be picking this up soon.

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Reviews are out! It's currently sitting at a very respectable 84/100 on OpenCritic, which is a full 5 points higher than the original. It does sound just as short as the first game, though, which is a bit of a shame, as I was hoping for a fuller experience. Still, I'll definitely be picking this up soon.

Eurogamer seem to think it's longer - in the region of 5-6 hours maybe? Not sure whether that's just down to certain areas being more of a pain in the arse to do though!

However, I'll certainly be picking up sometime - the original is one of the most creepy games I've played in a long time, so very happy to see more of the characters and the world.

Yeah pretty hyped for this but it does sound annoying as fuck to play. Dissapointed they didn't learn from the gameplay mistakes of the first game, it had some really crappy moments in itself. That perspective is awful for 3D navigation. But I'll happily pick it up for the atmosphere and world alone, and in that regard it sounds on point. It's a relief because I was afraid it would be hard for them to recreate such a creepy and immersive experience. You can tell from the screenshots alone its still nasty as feck!

It is longer. About 5 hours, whereas the original was more like 3 IIRC. Still feels a little slight though.

Again, the world design is excellent, even a notch up on the first one. Some wonderfully creepy/panicky sequences. And it's generally a smoother experience. But still, that damn fixed camera - expect the same frustrations trying to run away from things or make accurate jumps. 

I did a review:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/little-nightmares-2-review-a-confident-and-wonderfully-horrible-sequel/ 

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It is longer. About 5 hours, whereas the original was more like 3 IIRC. Still feels a little slight though.

Again, the world design is excellent, even a notch up on the first one. Some wonderfully creepy/panicky sequences. And it's generally a smoother experience. But still, that damn fixed camera - expect the same frustrations trying to run away from things or make accurate jumps. 

I did a review:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/little-nightmares-2-review-a-confident-and-wonderfully-horrible-sequel/ 

Enjoyed the review. It all sounds good to me. I get what you're saying about the platforming being occasionally frustrating. That was the case with the first game, but the checkpointing was always generous enough for me to not to mind so much.

Hopefully the Xbox Series and PS5 release isn't too far away. It'd be great if they did some creepy stuff with the DualSense.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It'd be great if they did some creepy stuff with the DualSense.

It really would be. The weight and texture of the world is such a key part of the experience, so enhancing that further could be very special.

Well, I’m enjoying this enormously.

Clearly if you didn’t enjoy the first, this will do absolutely nothing for you as it”s more or less exactly the same, but with extra...erm...’whacking’ going on.

But the whacking is genuinely fantastic!

Tense, creepy, beautiful with slightly frustrating controls, but again - if you’ve been through the first one then it won’t be too problematic.

Yep I played a few hours last night and its great. They've captured the feeling of the original perfectly, the graphics are better, the sound design is still amazing and the creep factor is still here and intact. Unfortunately as some reviews pointed out, there is a lot of instadeath and repeating sections again and again when you mess up (usually thanks to the perspective or hard 'whacking' timings, which really kills the impact of some of the intense scenes. If you can overlook that though its got the same dark imagination, mystery and arresting visuals as the first game, and if you enjoyed Little Nightmares 1 you will love this as well.

I'm actually tempted to pause and go back and play the Little Nightmares 1 DLC to shed some more light on the characters and story, it's probably pretty cheap by now.

41 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Yep I played a few hours last night and its great. They've captured the feeling of the original perfectly, the graphics are better, the sound design is still amazing and the creep factor is still here and intact. Unfortunately as some reviews pointed out, there is a lot of instadeath and repeating sections again and again when you mess up (usually thanks to the perspective or hard 'whacking' timings, which really kills the impact of some of the intense scenes. If you can overlook that though its got the same dark imagination, mystery and arresting visuals as the first game, and if you enjoyed Little Nightmares 1 you will love this as well.

I'm actually tempted to pause and go back and play the Little Nightmares 1 DLC to shed some more light on the characters and story, it's probably pretty cheap by now.

I don't think you'll learn much more from the original and/or the DLC to be honest :P . I think there's some meta-level shenanigans going on here, but the more I think about it the more it becomes much darker and darker the longer I think about it, so I'm kind of dealing with the creepiness at a basic level ;) 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

It's all a metaphor, right? :unsure:

I'm gonna assume so. 

Although, after just finishing it, I'm questioning my intelligence more than usual, that's for sure. 

Good ending indeed, but don't ask me to decipher it please.

Absolutely loving this so far. Sure it has some slightly janky mechanics in places, but the atmosphere and twisted horror far surpasses the first game (to be honest Id rate this way higher than Limbo or Inside as well, which if you enjoyed, you should definitely be playing this).

It looks fantastic too. Like actually being in control of a stop motion movie in places. I got the TV Edition with the little statue/diorama of Mono and Six, but it's making me want to get the Sculpy out and make some large scale versions of them. 

Just finished. Wowzers, what a journey.

Much like the first game I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it's all about, but to be honest, even if all they're going for is the unease and disorientation that nightmares can leave you with, then they nailed it. 

I've not looked to see people's interpretations yet, but one theory that springs to mind (and I maybe be completely off the mark) is... 

[TOTAL SPOILER TERRITORY!!!!] 

Spoiler

Child actors and parents who want them in the spotlight. 

The early game could just be explained with overbearing parents and school being scary. 

I'm also not too sure about the hospital (which in places seemed like a prison and definitely had an electric chair).

Back to the child actor thing. The world is constantly watching and scrutinising - everyone wants to grab hold of the young stars, people can't drag themselves away from their screens - to the point where right near the end the only thing Mono is aware of are the eyes of others.

Mono starts off with the music box, which I guess could be considered his gimic / act. In time Six steals this and she becomes a monster, refusing to share. 

When the music box and limelight it brings is gone, Six allows Mono to fall into obscurity as she returns to the land of TV.

In time, Mono becomes the thing he was hounded by for so long - the adult who tries to live vicariously through the youngsters they push into a life of fame and observation. 

I shall now await someone who points out how utterly wrong my spoilered thoughts are, and provides a far more satisfying explanation of the game :)

12 hours ago, FozZ said:

Just finished. Wowzers, what a journey.

Much like the first game I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it's all about, but to be honest, even if all they're going for is the unease and disorientation that nightmares can leave you with, then they nailed it. 

I've not looked to see people's interpretations yet, but one theory that springs to mind (and I maybe be completely off the mark) is... 

[TOTAL SPOILER TERRITORY!!!!] 

Reveal hidden contents

Child actors and parents who want them in the spotlight. 

The early game could just be explained with overbearing parents and school being scary. 

I'm also not too sure about the hospital (which in places seemed like a prison and definitely had an electric chair).

Back to the child actor thing. The world is constantly watching and scrutinising - everyone wants to grab hold of the young stars, people can't drag themselves away from their screens - to the point where right near the end the only thing Mono is aware of are the eyes of others.

Mono starts off with the music box, which I guess could be considered his gimic / act. In time Six steals this and she becomes a monster, refusing to share. 

When the music box and limelight it brings is gone, Six allows Mono to fall into obscurity as she returns to the land of TV.

In time, Mono becomes the thing he was hounded by for so long - the adult who tries to live vicariously through the youngsters they push into a life of fame and observation. 

I shall now await someone who points out how utterly wrong my spoilered thoughts are, and provides a far more satisfying explanation of the game :)

I've not really thought about it in such detail. But there's a general theme in both games.

*Big Spoilers*

Spoiler

The first one seems to be about class disparity, with the little people being sacrificed to feed a gluttonous elite class. The second one seems to focus more on indoctrination and manipulation, especially through our fixation on screens. In both games, children are effectively the outsiders of the system - victims of its brutality but also able to disrupt it in some sense.

As for the ending of this one, I'm not sure. Was Mono there in the first place because he was always destined to become the new TV man - he clearly has a special power over the TVs from the start? Did Six drop him because she realised what he was? The child that grows up to be the enforcer of the system that victimised him?