Masters of the Universe: Revelation coming to Netflix

Swainy

On 12/10/2021 at 17:30, davidcotton said:

Will anyone watch it after part one (for the record I didn’t mind this or the other!).

Yeah I'll watch it, OK it was different to the original series but it was decent in its own right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trailer for part 2 was good. I actually liked part 1, you just had to take it as its own thing and not got bent out of shape if it wasn't a direct copy of the original series. This should satisfy most of those who didn't get on with part 1 while remaining it's own thing. Looking forward to it. 

23 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Trailer reveals WAY too much so if you were already going to watch part 2 don't watch the trailer.

While most of the beats are obvious, I think they had to reveal way too much because of the immense amounts of whining around part 1.

Of course they will. They'll watch it to either:

1) claim they were victorious somehow if there's loads less female agency in part 2 (conveniently ignoring the obvious fact that these episodes will have been in production well before they started whining)

Or

2) scream about how Kevin Smith is raping their childhoods/an sjw cuck/worse than Hitler

On 29/10/2021 at 20:00, Scribblor said:

Of course they will. They'll watch it to either:

1) claim they were victorious somehow if there's loads less female agency in part 2 (conveniently ignoring the obvious fact that these episodes will have been in production well before they started whining)

Or

2) scream about how Kevin Smith is raping their childhoods/an sjw cuck/worse than Hitler

They've already started - this trailer is a bait and switch apparently. Grifters gonna grift. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, binged the whole thing earlier on and it's great. Not gonna discuss anything specific as most won't have seen it yet but it's pretty clear that the two parts make one series as a whole and there is a clear arc and dynamics across them. One line in particular from Fisto is all over social media but for me the best line was 

Spoiler

He-Man telling Skeletor 'it's not about us' as that made a great rejoinder to the online idiots and highlighted the fact that this was about the Masters and not just him. Geeked out at the epilogue too :)

Just finished it, and it was OK.

Spoiler

I liked Evil-Lyn betraying Skeletor, but I pretty much checked out after her transformation. It just felt unnecessary for her to be the new Sorceress AND wield the power like that. Her design was also pretty terrible, which is baffling to me because her Sorceress look was fantastic. Maybe if the gold was changed to the black metal of her circlet it'd look more villainous. It is also confusing why she needed Skelegod to power down to steal the sword, but then when Adam gets the sword back she doesn't lose the power and revert to her previous form? Huh?

Andra comes out of this season being a completely useless character. There was no reason for her to exist. It just felt like 80% of the time she was standing in the background doing nothing. Putting Clamp Champ in her place from the beginning would have been a much better choice, especially when you consider how they completely wasted both Clamp Champ and Fisto. 

Bitter Stratos fan, but COME ON. You call in the Avions and Adreenids to the final battle and you can't show Stratos and Buzz-Off standing around the war table or something? I'm not even asking for a speaking role, just SHOW that they are leading their people into battle.

I hated Beast Man turning into Evil-Lyn's version of Battle Cat. The design was terrible and Beast Man being constantly under heel was a bit too much.

I felt He-Man's line to Skeletor of "It's not about us!" was thrown in to directly address the fans. 

I honestly don't want to see another season of this. For me Revelation is a good "one and done" entry into the MoTU franchise, a story that needed to be told, but I'd rather get a series that felt more in line with the original series. No killing off characters for shock value or having Evil-Lyn mount Skeletor.

I'd be well happy with another series of this but I don't think we'll get one. 

I don't think anyone wanting a series like the Filmation original can really expect that to happen either. I'm not even sure what that would look like? 200x came as close as possible and this was really a slightly more serious version of that. I guess 25 minute standalone story episodes instead of multi episode arc would make it feel more old school?

I just hope we get more animated MOTU. I'd like more of the CGI series as well and maybe we'll even get that another attempt at a live action movie. 

45 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'd be well happy with another series of this but I don't think we'll get one. 

I don't think anyone wanting a series like the Filmation original can really expect that to happen either. I'm not even sure what that would look like? 200x came as close as possible and this was really a slightly more serious version of that. I guess 25 minute standalone story episodes instead of multi episode arc would make it feel more old school?

I just hope we get more animated MOTU. I'd like more of the CGI series as well and maybe we'll even get that another attempt at a live action movie. 

I watch if there's a season 2 since Hordak is introduced but I won't miss it if I'm honest.

At heart I want a final season of the 2002 MOTU, re-watching it again its the  best of MOTU from a story and maturity of being able to use their weapons, combat and have some basic conflicts with consequence and challenge to the well being of the good guys. It was still a cartoon aimed for the kids (8-12 group or so), but was leaps and bounds more action packed than the 80s, New Adventures and Revelations.

I agree I hope we get more MOTU, I still watch it regardless.

Binged all 5 episodes tonight, still really enjoyed it but think I prefer part 1. This second part just went full balls to the walls, it almost felt a little "too" much, but was still great non the less. 

I had fun with it, especially all the little cameos of lesser heroes & villains. Also Fisto :lol:

Not sure why they didn't wait to finish it all and release this as a full season though, it would have stopped all the man babies crying about the lack of He-Man. There's a lovely little nod and FU to those people though in the final episode.

Overall though, I did really enjoy it. The fight scenes and animation are great and the music is top notch.

I agree that a one and done would have been nice as this does wrap everything  up nicely.

Spoiler

But I knew they'd never be able to resit not introducing Hordak

I'll be here for the next season regardless.

15 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Binged all 5 episodes tonight, still really enjoyed it but think I prefer part 1. This second part just went full balls to the walls, it almost felt a little "too" much, but was still great non the less. 

I had fun with it, especially all the little cameos of lesser heroes & villains. Also Fisto :lol:

Not sure why they didn't wait to finish it all and release this as a full season though, it would have stopped all the man babies crying about the lack of He-Man. There's a lovely little nod and FU to those people though in the final episode.

Overall though, I did really enjoy it. The fight scenes and animation are great and the music is top notch.

I agree that a one and done would have been nice as this does wrap everything  up nicely.

Reveal hidden contents

But I knew they'd never be able to resit not introducing Hordak

I'll be here for the next season regardless.

Yeah I do prefer Part 1 more but oh man I feel like they did Fisto and Clamp Champ dirty. 

While I was happy that a certain character came back, the way it was handled and explained was 🤔

I've just done the first couple of episodes and it's pretty dire still.

I got a chuckle from Champ's "Wu-Tang" and Fisto wanting to fist things, but the Joker is getting really annoying and doing the whole the "power is in me" part to give us Tarz-Man don't give me much hope.

Harley-lyn is really whiny as hell, and it's obvious that there's a redemption story coming up for her!

And just when Tarz-Man was getting good and I thought we were going to see some Pre-Ternia we get treated to the whole daddy / family issues.

Did i tune into Prince Adam's Family Values.

I remember part one being pretty shit but not as bad as this, why they split it i have no idea. Even reading above that Hordak is going to appear I don't think this is going to be nothing but background noise why i'm doing something else. 

But I do like the new Beastman though...

I really didn't get on with this and preferred part one. I was not expecting that at all.

Spoiler

I prefer hard fantasy with some rules in place and probably conditioned by Lord of the Rings I think the sort of absolute power on display here should come with catches and terrible consequences.

For that reason both Evil Lyn doubling up on the power and Teela's solution to being the Sorceress really turned me off.

While accepting it's 100% in keeping with the original show, I am also not a fan of "Let's give Skeleton Hitler extra power because he's never going to abuse that, is he?" and also "Sure I know you've done terrible things but sure, you are nice now and we'll let you go and not like lock you up in prison forever"

While Evil Lyn's arc made sense, I think you really want the denounment here to be He-Man Vs Skeletor. Anything else is just a little bit unsatisfying.

Aside from that just a bit busy overall.

Additionally if you are gonna

Spoiler

Bring the Horde at the end, then why the fuck was most of both parts of this obsessing over the Sword of Power when there's another fucking sword. It's a stupid cartoon yes, but that sort of obvious question unaddressed annoys me.

MVP was

Spoiler

Orko.

They left it long enough you forgot about him so it was a great moment.

Also I don't think He Man ever picked someone up by the legs and spun they round and round before throwing him once which has to take several points off this.

20 minutes ago, Benny said:

Why couldn't they make

Hide contents

Real Hulk as fun to watch in Endgame as He-Hulk. Sort it out Marvel.

Because he was Professor Hulk,  CG cost money and it was expensive enough with the huge amounts of CG already.

Spoiler

I'm somewhat annoyed that Lyn's arc has led to her becoming even more of a big bad when finally throwing off the shackles of an abusive relationship. Though I'm only on episode 3 so we'll see.

I do love her new look though, it's a lot like something out of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. Very Dio like.