rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Swainy

Masters of the Universe: Revelation coming to Netflix

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/19/netflix-orders-he-man-anime-series-masters-of-the-universe-revelation-from-kevin-smith

Netflix has ordered a He-Man anime series, Masters of the Universe: Revelation, and Kevin Smith will serve as showrunner and executive producer. 

Smith revealed the news at the annual Power-Con convention in Anaheim, California and announced that this new series will be a "wholly original story set in the epic world of Mattel's over 35 year-old global He-Man toy franchise."

It will focus on some of the unresolved storylines from 1983-1985's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and will even pick up some characters stories from where they left off in the classic animated television series.

Eric Carrasco (Supergirl), Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen), Diya Mishra (Magic the Gathering) and Marc Bernardin (Alphas) will be the writers on the show and the series is being produced by Mattel Television, with Rob Davis, VP of Mattel TV and author of He-Man: the Eternity War assuming the roles of executive producers. Animation is being done by Powerhouse Animation, who had previously worked on Netflix's Castlevania series.

“I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe," Smith said. "In Revelation, we pick up right where the classic era left off to tell an epic tale of what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor! Brought to life with the most metal character designs Powerhouse Animation can contain in the frame, this is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!”

2AEBB825-0C19-4C71-89E7-3356D7C968A7.jpeg

It sounds good, but I'm a tad concerned it's a win for those saying the new She-Ra is wrong (and not drawn sexy enough)

... I'd rather had a new He-Man off the back of the new She-ra.

Although, if they're going for the darker tone, I'd love something that leaned more into the look of the movie.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

and this just a couple of hours after spotting this on wish.com

Spoiler

he-man.thumb.jpg.59080ebe216b1f3e15c7d64e19302f8b.jpg

(not the wish.com photo though, that IS a bronze he-man figure. Looks nothing like him)

Spoiler

image.png.439bf044562ff64fe11e1e79c39e27ba.png

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

It sounds good, but I'm a tad concerned it's a win for those saying the new She-Ra is wrong (and not drawn sexy enough)

... I'd rather had a new He-Man off the back of the new She-ra.

Although, if they're going for the darker tone, I'd love something that leaned more into the look of the movie.

There's a space for both I think. It's going to be interesting that's for sure.

They need to make the villains more credible though.  Skeletor was fine, but the rest were just treated as inept buffoons to be comically sent packing.  Thundercats had the same issue.  Heroes are only as good as the villains they are faced off with.

7 minutes ago, Waggo said:

They need to make the villains more credible though.  Skeletor was fine, but the rest were just treated as inept buffoons to be comically sent packing.  Thundercats had the same issue.  Heroes are only as good as the villains they are faced off with.

To be fair the early episodes portrayed Beast-Man as a decent villain - sadly they turned him into a simpleton by the end. 

I absolutely love He-Man and this is fantastic news but I really hope it is kept kid friendly. The original series is getting another DVD release as well. And a new live action movie due next year. The future is looking bright for MOTU fans. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

can someone explain The New Adventures of He-Man to me please?

and did anyone care about the 2002 reboot?

Sure. They were trying to sell a new series of action figures as sales of the original line were slowing down so they made a new TV show. It's that simple really. The show itself was ok but not really He-Man to me. Also I hated that version of Skeletor. 

The 2002 reboot seemed ok. I haven't watched it all as it seems to be out of print on dvd and not streaming anywhere. Also it was cancelled before it got chance to do some of the storylines they had planned. 

The only one of those old 80s properties where the badguys were competent was G.I Joe, and even then it was only in the comic book. The cartoon version was just as hopeless as the MotU crew et al.

If this is intended to be a continuation of the Filmation series, Skeletor and pals would have to become 1000% more capable not to be laughed out of the room.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Swainy said:

I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe," Smith said. "In Revelation, we pick up right where the classic era left off to tell an epic tale of what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor! Brought to life with the most metal character designs Powerhouse Animation can contain in the frame, this is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!”

That statement just sums up how pathetic Kevin Smith is these days. He-Man was great when you were under 10 years old. If they’re going to “reinvent” it, He-Man should be for kids. Are there really any adults thinking “oh I wish they would re-launch He-Man as an adult anime with character designs that are really “metal”, because I’m desperate to find out the conclusion to the thrilling Man-E-Faces story arc.”

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

That statement just sums up how pathetic Kevin Smith is these days. He-Man was great when you were under 10 years old. If they’re going to “reinvent” it, He-Man should be for kids. Are there really any adults thinking “oh I wish they would re-launch He-Man as an adult anime with character designs that are really “metal”, because I’m desperate to find out the conclusion to the thrilling Man-E-Faces story arc.”

There are people who are constantly yearning for childhood franchises to be turned into grim and gritty adult versions. I wish people would just accept that the thing they love was made for kids. And a show for kids can still be good. For this to be massively successful I think it needs to appeal to kids. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

They remade it for kids. It got cancelled.

4 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

Whilst I kinda agree with you, it should be for kids. At the same time I want a more adult version of the show. Can we have 2 shows?

I seem to remember the 2002 reboot actually being pretty good and providing far more backstory on Eternia but it was cancelled a couple of series in.

The accompanying action figure line was pretty good too but bloody expensive.

I'm a huge He-man fan, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I 'm another fan of the 2002 He-Man reboot series. It was very well done and stayed true to the original while updating the characters and storytelling.

In the meanwhile lets celebrate with this gem.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Does Kevin Smith ever wear clothes that fit him? He looks like child wearing his dad's suit jacket there.

Well he did have a heart attack and had to lose a lot of weight. Besides who cares, its his schtick.

I hated the New Adventures. HATED THEM. And I remember that I was so looking forward to that show, as I loved the original. But the character design was all wrong, Skeletor was ruined, it was shite. I'm well up for more proper He-Man, this time hopefully without the morality lessons that as a young kid I didn't realise were crowbarred into the show with all the subtlety of a thermonuclear explosion.

I'm of an age where I think I saw New Adventures first, and the original looked comical in comparison.

Now I'm older, I realise both suck and the movie is a rough gem.

58 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I hated the New Adventures. HATED THEM. And I remember that I was so looking forward to that show, as I loved the original. But the character design was all wrong, Skeletor was ruined, it was shite. I'm well up for more proper He-Man, this time hopefully without the morality lessons that as a young kid I didn't realise were crowbarred into the show with all the subtlety of a thermonuclear explosion.

The morality lessons at the end of each episode? I think they are fine. Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly advice for kids surely??

Should they now be aimed at adults?

He-Man: "Hey friends, let me tell you about the risks of sub-prime mortgages"

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I'm of an age where I think I saw New Adventures first, and the original looked comical in comparison.

Now I'm older, I realise both suck and the movie is a rough gem.

The cartoons are all way better than the film. The film was missing Prince Adam and Cringer. Castle Grayskull is seen once! I did like Skeletor though. The film just isn't very 'He-Man'.