Knives out
Transit
The Lighthouse
Marriage Story
Uncut Gems
Portrait of a lady on fire
The Souvenir

• Upvote 1

All these Vox Lux mentions are interesting. I haven't yet seen it but thought it was widely considered to be a ridiculously over the top, camp misfire. It is actually good?

I haven't really seen enough new films this year to make a meaningful list but of the ones I have seen I particularly rated The Favorite and The Farewell. Thought Toy Story 4 was incredibly uninspired - boring even - and Us a huge disappointment.

Really want to check out Parasite, Marriage Story, Knives Out, The Irishman and Greta Gerwig's spin on Little Women.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

All these Vox Lux mentions are interesting. I haven't yet seen it but thought it was widely considered to be a ridiculously over the top, camp misfire. It is actually good?

I haven't really seen enough new films this year to make a meaningful list but of the ones I have seen I particularly rated The Favorite and The Farewell. Thought Toy Story 4 was incredibly uninspired - boring even - and Us a huge disappointment.

Really want to check out Parasite, Marriage Story, Knives Out, The Irishman and Greta Gerwig's spin on Little Women.

Vox Lux is fantastic. Few films to watch yet before I do my top ten, but it’s currently in my top three. Watched it four times already.

Mine is currently Apollo 11. It’s a documentary but such an earnestly brilliant one. Taking one of humankind’s most staggering feats of science and engineering and presenting it without narration gives the film such a lovely state of immersion. Watched it for a second time on IMAX recently, one of my favourite cinema trips in years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glb said:

Mine is currently Apollo 11. It’s a documentary but such an earnestly brilliant one. Taking one of humankind’s most staggering feats of science and engineering and presenting it without narration gives the film such a lovely state of immersion. Watched it for a second time on IMAX recently, one of my favourite cinema trips in years.

Ah yes! On my watchlist. I'll get to it next.

22 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Ah yes! On my watchlist. I'll get to it next.

Both times I found it such an uplifting, hopeful experience. Some of the material is astounding, either because of the access it allows us as viewers or just through being ordinarily mundane but set against the context of one of humankind’s greatest achievements.

Hoping The Lighthouse and Marriage Story get released in the UAE, but if not will have a lovely film night to look forward to early next year.

No clue if it's had an official release date, but earlier in the year I saw Killing (Zan) by Shinya Tsukamoto. I saw other films that I thought were 'better' in the moment, but over the past 8 months it's properly wormed its way into my brain. Have watched very little this year but may put that at the top.

I still have a few big hitters (most notably Parasite, Lighthouse and Once upon a time in Hollywood) but my favourites so far are:

1. The irishman

2. Joker

3. Under the Silver Lake

4. The Last Black Man in San Francisco

5. Jojo Rabbit

55 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

I still have a few big hitters (most notably Parasite, Lighthouse and Once upon a time in Hollywood) but my favourites so far are:

5. Jojo Rabbit

How have you seen that already? I was in the cinema the other night and saw the trailer which said it isn't out till January.

6 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

How have you seen that already? I was in the cinema the other night and saw the trailer which said it isn't out till January.

They may have seen it at a Film Festival, bene shown at a few in the UK so far this year. Or they could be based outside the UK, film came out in the US in November.

Just guesses :)

Senior Film Critic David Ehrlich at IndieWire, has put together his best film of the year. I may not agree with them all, but I always adore how he cuts together his look back on the year of film each December. If you haven't I recommended going back and viewing all his previous years videos. He really is a top notch video editor.

Can see the full list and read about them here

• Upvote 2

I can't think of many films I've enjoyed this year (still need to see The Lighthouse and Bait) but I really liked The Kindergarten Teacher, Joker and Under the Silver Lake.

An incredibly strong year.

1. The Irishman 

2. Vox Lux

3. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 

4. Midsommar

5. Prospect

6. Ash Is The Purest White

7. Ad Astra

8. Burning 

9. Parasite 

10. Diego Maradona

Narrowly missing out - Alita Battle Angel, Bait, Dragged Across Concrete, Avengers Endgame, Aniara, In Fabric, High Life, Marriage Story, US, The Favourite & Wild Rose.

Yet to see - Monos, Knives Out, Pain & Glory, Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

An incredibly strong year.

1. The Irishman 

2. Vox Lux

3. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 

4. Midsommar

5. Prospect

6. Ash Is The Purest White

7. Ad Astra

8. Burning 

9. Parasite 

10. Diego Maradona

Narrowly missing out - Alita Battle Angel, Bait, Dragged Across Concrete, Avengers Endgame, Aniara, In Fabric, High Life, Marriage Story, US, The Favourite & Wild Rose.

Yet to see - Monos, Knives Out, Pain & Glory, Star Wars.

What did I miss with In Fabric? I hated it 

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

What did I miss with In Fabric? I hated it 

It very nearly made my top ten but I’d find it hard to recommend to people. You either click with it’s weirdness and humour or you don’t, and I totally get that people  don’t. But I just love it.

I'm writing up the second half of the 90s poll now and was then planning on doing part one of 2010 - 2019 at some point in the new year.

Is it treading on anyone's toes if I do a film of the year 2019 top ten poll first?

I can write that up and incoprorate into the decade poll afterwards, but wondering if a top ten for this year would give us more recomendations first?

• Upvote 1