rllmuk
Capwn

Film of the year (Halfway Point)

Noticed we didn't do the traditional halfway point film of the year thread yet so yeah, what are the best films you've seen this year? No worries if they are 2018 film etc, just recent films in general.

I've only seen 10 films, here they are in order;

image.thumb.png.24e098f8c09440a25bece3a7eeedc8ed.png

• Upvote 2

I don't know when it's cinema release was as I saw it on sky last month but the only film so far this year that hasn't disappointed me was Spiderman into the spider verse so I vote for it.

Edit:. I think it was tail end 2018 so it wouldn't even count.

Edited by tenrou

Favourite so far would be Vox Lux

other highlights

Prospect

Us

Wild Rose

Alita Battle Angel 

High Life

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

In Fabic

Midsommar

Very strong year so far.

• Upvote 2

1. Midsommer 

2. Us

3. Lords of Chaos 

4. Beats

5. Diego Maradona 

6. The Sisters Brothers 

7. Mid 90s 

8. Green Book

9. Cold Pursuit 

10. Ma

A really strong year so far with a healthy amount of decent horror making a comeback. Haven't seen the Tarintino film yet and there is also more horror that I have high hopes for next month in the new Rob Zombie film and IT part 2, that may knock out some of the titles on that list. 

• Upvote 1

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

2. Vox Lux

3. Rocketman

4. Her Smell

5. Lords of Chaos

6. Us

7. High Life

8. Birds of Passage

9. Dragged across Concrete.

10. Wild Rose.

5 out of 10 are music biopics or stories about musicians. Not sure what that means. Been a really strong year so far and there's a ton of stuff I've not seen.

• Upvote 2

In order:

If Beale Street Could Talk

One Cut Of The Dead

Eighth Grade

Jellyfish

Toy Story 4

Stan and Ollie

Missing Link

The Favourite

The Kid Who Would Be King

Shazam

Support the Girls

We’ve been watching too much tv lately so I’ve still got loads waiting to be watched. Vox Lux, Us, Out of Blue, Woman at War, Dirty God, Being Frank, The Vanishing.

• Upvote 2

Current top 10, in no particular order is:

Free Solo

Wild Rose

Booksmart

Avengers: Endgame

The Hole in the Ground

Apollo 11

Upgrade

Toy Story 4

John Wick 3: Parabellum

Diego Maradona

Been a great year for documentaries, and got a couple more lined up this week.

Good to see Vox Lux getting mentions; saw it last year, thought Natalie Portman’s performance was outstanding, especially off the back of an equally unique role in Jackie.

Most disappointing so far, by some distance, has been Us. But that’s for another thread.

• Upvote 1

1. Avengers Endgame

2. Toy Story 4

3. John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (though as I've said in its thread, it's hard for me to judge it on first viewing)

5. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

6. How to Train Your Dragon 3

7. Alita: Battle Angel

8. Captain Marvel

9. Spider-Man: Far From Home

10. Aquaman (2018 but watched at the cinema this year)

And that's everything I've seen at the cinema this year.

At the end of this year, should we do an Official Rllmuk Ranking Poll for our favourite films of 2010-2019? Or shall we leave it until next year and do 2011-2020? (Or even a poll of all 21st century releases...?)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

At the end of this year, should we do an Official Rllmuk Ranking Poll for our favourite films of 2010-2019?

I'm doing one for games; we should definitely do one for films.

Anyway, this year for me it's Into the Spiderverse. Nothing has or will come close. It's probably one of the finest animated films of the decade.

Yeah, Spider-Verse would have been top of my list too - but I saw it in December so didn't include it.

Another film released at the end of 2018 that I only watched a couple of weeks ago was Bumblebee. It was fine, I didn't hate it, but as someone with no affection/nostalgia for the Transformers franchise (I was born juuuuust a little too late!), I would have put it at the bottom of my list, below Aquaman. Most of the positive reviews seemed to come from long-time Transformers fans who found it an immense relief after the Michael Bay films to get something truer to the spirit of the cartoons and comics. I've never seen any of them, so to me it mostly prompted negative comparisons to The Iron Giant.

Glad I made this thread, these kind of threads always highlight films I need to catch up on or big ones that have passed me.

I forgot Spiderverse came out in December.

The correct answer for best 2019 UK release then is: One Cut of the Dead

• Upvote 1

I watched Burning over a couple of nights this week. I found it a fascinating but ultimately frustrating experience. It looked amazing and the acting and atmosphere of the whole thing was top class but I needed to know more about what was happening. It all felt very surface. 

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Rocketman

Booksmart

The Favourite

Toy Story 4

Spider-Man: Far from Home

Us

The Lego Movie 2

Detective Pikachu

In roughly that order. Bit of a slow year, maybe I’ve not been watching the right stuff.

26 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched Burning over a couple of nights this week. I found it a fascinating but ultimately frustrating experience. It looked amazing and the acting and atmosphere of the whole thing was top class but I needed to know more about what was happening. It all felt very surface. 

For me, that’s what makes it so amazing. You never really know what kind of film you’re watching. The main character (and the viewer) fills in the blanks driven by his own prejudice and paranoia.

• Upvote 1