MiSTer: FPGA gaming

1 hour ago, Mr Monday said:

I do still have a lot of original games but they’re boxed up in my Mum’s loft, so I would have used the unofficial firmware on the Mega SG anyway. 

Well if you ever want to get rid of them ....

35 minutes ago, ulala said:

Well if you ever want to get rid of them ....

l’ll let you know.  I sold some of the valuable ones like Snow Bros and Phantasy Star 1 years back, but I still have Rainbow Islands, Gunstar Heroes, New Zealand Story, Bare Knuckle and a whole stack of others 

And some hardware..

image.jpg

So I'm looking to put a a Mister together, might need some help moving forward. Am I right in thinking that the PSU that comes with the board will run with a shaving adaptor without issues? I may also need some useful resource links etc too, if anyone can help :)

@Count Buffalos Whether it's Digikey or Mouser, the two main sources for the DE10-Nano, it will ship from the USA. Nearly all of us here will have ordered prior to all the new Brexit red tape so can't say what current delivery times would be like. Both companies collect the VAT when placing the order so with a little luck it shouldn't get caught up in customs, but importing rules might have changed that somewhat. When I ordered mine (a long time ago now) I think it took about 4 days from placing the order to having the DE10-Nano in my hands.

Welcome to the MiSTer club!

Ok, board has arrived. This may be a daft question, but do I need to buy some sort of PSU too? The board obviously comes with a US one, which isn't going to just fit into a shaving style adaptor. I also don't want to fry the board by doing the wrong thing! 

Edit: ordered a US -> UK plug adaptor. 

How essential is the heatsink? I've overlooked ordering one although I have got an I/O board with fan on the way shortly.

The included PSU is multi-voltage (both 110V & 240V) so a simple adapter will be fine, no need to worry about stepdown converters. I would definitely go ahead and order a heat sink though.  I consider the heatsink to be essential now as I we're pushing the hardware beyond Terasic's intended use as an educational device.

@Count BuffalosYou shouldn't have to do anything special to the SD card. Mr. Fusion & the flashing programs will take care of everything.

A bit of an update regarding these "SDram issues" that is the latest talking point. Jotego has released his own SDram checking utility. You can see his public Patreon post about this here. You can download his utlilty here and how your sdram performs. I guess the more people that give him feedback the better, so take the time to test & post back on his poll

Did the test on my 128mb unit from misterfpga and it reports no issues. I also played completely through a couple of the CPS15 games and didnt crash once so im happy.

Can you leave feedback if you aren't a patreon?

As you'll know if you've followed this thread for a few weeks I did initially have problems with the wrestling games. From further reading Jotego thinks that's a different problem and is currently a low priority in terms of fixing. Then we had the release of the SFZero hack with QSound, I couldn't get into a match & instead would crash immediately before the fight started (memory address error). The next CPS1.5 rbf release fixed that for me. I never had issues with Cadillacs or Punisher. I haven't fully played Cadillacs yet but I did credit-feed Punisher to test for issues from start to finish - it ran flawlessly (shame my gameplay wasn't flawless!).

Tonight, I have ran these two tests for over hour with each speed and it's indicating my sdram is fine, which I'm obviously happy happy about. My sdram was an early built unit from MiSTerAddons (Porkchop Express).

You can vote on the poll that's there but I couldn't leave a comment, that does seem to be reserved exclusively for Patreons. I just replied to Jotego's tweet from earlier today.

@Count BuffalosThis guide on the official MiSTer page will give you everything you need to get going. The are two methods of setting up the SD card. The first is a relatively new way of installing known as the "Mr Fusion Installation Method". Basically, it writes an image to an SD card, then putting said SD card into the DE10 to complete the setup. I've used this method once.

The second method (and my preferred method - only because I've been using it longer) is the "Manual Installation Method" which you'll see further down the page.

Before you put your SD card into the DE10 you'll want to download an additional script that isn't included with either install package. This is known as "Update All". Download it from here, unzip and put the "update_all.sh" script into the "scripts folder" that should be on the SD card you've created. Read the full instructions here.

Hopefully, that will get you going. Post back if you run into any issues.

Dangun Feveron :)

I assembled and set up my MiSTer last night. The update script appears to work ok, need to work out where to put game images now. And to get rid of the static-y background.

Can anyone tell me what size hex driver I need to tighten the hex bolts up a little?

@Count BuffalosPressing F1 on a keyboard will allow you to cycle between the default wallpapers and change the static background. Addionally, if you create a folder called "Wallpapers" on the root of the SD card you put your own backgrounds in there & have any wallpaper you like.

The script should have created a "Games" folder. Within that is where you put your games. Each folder that is contained within "Games" must be named the same as the core (pushing F12 or using your core menu button) will bring up the OSD, running down the left hand side of the OSD will be the core name - see the attached image. Your Megadrive games will go into Genesis, your PC Engine games will go into TGFX16 .... etc. As for those standoffs / hex bolts you should be fine with just tightening them by hand. They don't need to be done up that tightly.

Really enjoying DoDonpachi now. I had a bit of an issue with screen shudder initially. I've spent an hour or so playing with different screen resolutions and editing the Mister.ini with a custom video mode line (not a default ini file option) as it appears that a combination of this core & my TV don't like my preferred 1920x1440p resolution. Ultimately I've settled on 1440x960p for DoDonpachi, this gives me decent looking scanlines while eliminating the shudder.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 16.53.58.png

Ok, got Eliminate Down running and some wallpapers to make things prettier. Struggling to get a controller to work - will an XB One controller work ok? The core says that the buttons need to be remapped in the 'menu' core first, not sure where I'm looking to do this though. 

Edit: remapped in the main bit, tried to do it in the Genesis core too. Although it recognised the inputs as soon as a close the menu it no longer does. 

@Count BuffalosIf it's one of the newer generation of XB One controllers then it should work over bluetooth. I've only got first gen Xbox One + Elite controllers that don't have bluetooth so I can only use them wired. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work though.

Initially, to pair a controller hit F12 twice on the keyboard, scroll down to scripts and you should see "bluetooth pair". Put your controller into pairing mode & then press enter on the "bluetooth pair" script. It may take a couple of attempts (my 8bitdo pads took a few attempts). Once you've paired the controller to the MiSter press any key to get back to the main MiSTer menu. Press F12 again so that you see "Remap Keyboard", "Define Joystick Buttons" & "Scripts". Select "Define Joystick Buttons" and then map your buttons. You'll see a rather crude diagram of a SNES-like controller on the screen. Once that is done you'll be able to navigate the MiSTer menus with the pad.

You can also set up core specific button mappings. When in a core press the "Menu" button to bring up the OSD, push right on the dpad. This is where you can define you core buttons, if you don't define buttons within the core itself they just default to the global setting you defined in the main menu). You can also play around with filter options here as well. But before you get to that I suggest having a look at the Mister.ini file before playing with scanline filters as the most important parts are defined in the ini, and need to be set specifically to your display. This file lives in the root of your SD card. Just in case you haven't got the MiSTer.ini file you can download the default one from here. Once of Github right-click on "raw" and then "save as".

Great stuff. I've had a mess around with the .ini file to find settings I like. I've settled on the default resolution for the SNES core. What I'd really like would be to window the game so that the pixels don't appear as big - I'm using a monitor (although I could try it on the TV I guess).  With the Super NT, I found that my preferred picture didn't fill the full height of the screen. Are there any settings I can alter to get that sort of picture? Loving the emulation for the SNES, it seems as good as the Super NT, lovely low lag stuff.

With games that have save features, I assume that much like the Analogue products that I need to manually save and load saved games from the OSD / core menu?