MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

19 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It's an LG flatscreen 4K/UHD. (Yeah, I suspect a 4K modern television isn't great for MiSTer, but unfortunately I don't have the space for a CRT or time and energy to hunt out a useable one locally.)

Nah, in terms of scaling 4K is actually perfect, as 2160 is an integer upscale from 240 (a flat 9X) :) Therefore you should be able to totally eliminate that banding.

I guess that's always going to be a problem when you replicate arcade hardware at a low level; these machines were built with monitors that could handle unusual video output. Presumably tate games can be flipped for landscape monitors which suggests there is some buffering going on at least so perhaps some of these issues can be resolved somewhere between rendering and video output? 

2 hours ago, Camel said:

I'm still on the fence

I stopped reading here.

Make all necessary measures to get yourself set up with one ASAP. Getting a hold of one isn't going to get any easier, or cheaper.

The issues PP is having are PP issues. He'll fix them eventually. There must be an image fit/size setting on his TV that's causing this (as was the case with mine, before I spotted it). With integer scaling (for perfect scanlines) I get a one-inch black border top and bottom of my TV, but it's more than worth it if I want to play on a much bigger screen.

Hell, even my totally unorthodox 'jumbotron' shader presets scale to a full screen perfectly without integer scaling (thanks to 4K brute-forcing, although the RetroTink slot mask won't produce desirable results with this one):

IMG-1749.jpg

Very few cores have display timing quirks over a CRT which boils down to them being 100% accurate. These are resolvable, and absolutely not a problem if you're outputting to a HDTV.

The only image flipping I've seen so far are 180 flips for monitors that might be tate'd in one direction or another. I can't rotate anything 90 degrees.

17 minutes ago, Camel said:

I guess that's always going to be a problem when you replicate arcade hardware at a low level; these machines were built with monitors that could handle unusual video output. Presumably tate games can be flipped for landscape monitors which suggests there is some buffering going on at least so perhaps some of these issues can be resolved somewhere between rendering and video output? 

The raw analogue output does no flipping. There’s a HDMI scaler in play that does the flipping on LCDs. 

It’s pretty low latency, with timings influenced by now famous vsync_adjust option. 

They recently added VRR support to the HDMI output which actually helps with getting better timings on LCDs

I was having a problem with my LG 4K cropping the image but found a setting deep in the menus that fixed it. 

Look for "Just scan" under Aspect Ratio and turn it on. 

May be different for other TVs but there's probably a similar control. 

I don't have anything much to add here expect that it all looks incredible on a HDTV, even my (relatively) small, very-much budget 55" 4K tele from Aldi gives a stunning picture, and would've blown my socks off as a kid for the colour, clarity and pure bloody SCALE! 

I'm using some of @dataDave's settings and advice, took all of 10 mins to edit my settings file and haven't touched them since.

46 minutes ago, dataDave said:

Nah, in terms of scaling 4K is actually perfect, as 2160 is an integer upscale from 240 (a flat 9X) :) Therefore you should be able to totally eliminate that banding.

The mister only does up to 1080 so set it to 720p and the mister will do perfect 3x integer scaling and the 4k tv will then integer scale that another 3x (hopefully). Voila perfect 9x integer scaling on your 240p content. 

17 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

The mister only does up to 1080 so set it to 720p and the mister will do perfect 3x integer scaling and the 4k tv will then integer scale that another 3x (hopefully). Voila perfect 9x integer scaling on your 240p content. 

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

The mister only does up to 1080.

That's not true? My mister settings go up to 2560x1440 @60hz.  

https://mister-devel.github.io/MkDocs_MiSTer/advanced/videomodes/#additional-flags

"MiSTer is limited to a maximum horizontal resolution of 2048 pixels and a maximum pixel clock of 210Mhz. This is enough to display a 2048x1536 image (209Mhz, Pad resolution), which is the maximum native resolution supported."

I mean, it’s ok as a game playing machine. 

If you like cycle accuracy, a wealth of controller options, digital or analogue video outputs and the number of supported arcade machines that seems to increase by the day all in a little board for a couple of hundred quid that is. 

4 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Predictably, two days into using the MiSTer, and it's the best gaming purchase I've ever made.

I totally see why that wealth of incredible classic arcade games running at their original timings with zero lag on a CRT is enough for some. For me it is revolutionary.

It is good isn’t it, I pretty much use it just for the Capcom CPS1 and 2 arcade games.

On 18/08/2022 at 10:29, ianinthefuture said:

Well, reflowed and put memtest on - managed 11 hours at 138mhz with 0 errors. Ever so slightly better than the 70mhz 600,000 failures it was managing pre-reflow. I'm still wary of it (it could just be reseating it that's helped rather than reflowing), but it's a positive sign I've saved myself £50 for now.

That said, the electricity cost of running the hot air gun for 20 minutes is probably £342, so...

A month later and I feel compelled to share that this is still working fine, not had a single issue since the reflow. I think this is pride forcing me to post this.

On 06/01/2022 at 20:43, Peter St John said:

*complains bitterly that nobody seems to be working on Rainbow Islands, dammit*

This news is aimed at @Peter St John, but I'm sure everyone will be happy about this one!

Secondly, there are a couple more arcade games released in beta form. These are Street Smart & SAR Search And Rescue. I'm not sure if the udate scripts are picking these up yet, I'm very much in the habbit of installing these beta cores manually. Here's the link to the rbf & mra files for anyone who wants to try these.

I'm pleased to see this core. I had a go on Super Hang On last night and it's good overall. The only issue I can see is when entering your initials on the score board the sprites cover up some of the text.

Crappy initial gameplay video!

@dataDaveI didn't know there was a 3DS port, or if I did I've forgotten! I can't even remember where my 3DS is, but I'm now going off to hunt it down and see if I can still purchase the game.

@spanky debrestThe analogue using an 8bitdo pad seems a little on the sensitive side. I finally found my old NeGcon pad a few days ago while digging out my N64. Only thing is I haven't got a PS1Snac adapter to try it with. You'll have to let me know how it is with the NeGcon pad.

I found the 3DS, and it turns out I had already purchased Super Hang On .... happy days!

I had a bit of moment when I ran update all yesterday, it started deleting all of my Atrac17 and other unofficial cores from my MiSTer. Turns out there is a new setting in the menu that will redownload them. This might help others who don't want to manually install some of these beta cores.

In the Update_All options go to Misc (no.8) and select "Yes" for Coin-Op Collection. This should get the unofficial cores, things like the Toaplan core, Darren_O's cores and a few others.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Saturn core alpha build (20221016) was released, srg320 appears to to have fixed some sound issues and improved compatibility. I tried the previous release and while it's amazing it is of course a very long way off! 

Single RAM .rbf here (Dropbox) if any of you want it and aren't users of the Discord group. I think sharing this is ok?

———

Some phone cam captures I took of prev release (20220930):

VF2 - runs great, 2D BG scaling not right and missing arena floor
image.png.2abffad6a2efbd7c0adeafbf12a70f50.png

Fighters Megamix – runs but choppy

image.png.664dd7f9ecdf89e80eb8bd29dce70e56.png

Sega Touring Car Championship (conspicuous absence of any 3D)

image.png.5e92a442189f2fd4c15dd691f50e46a8.png

I also tried Saturn Bomberman, which seemed "perfect" to me, Panzer Dragoon Zwei - runs solid (60fps) but missing the infinite planes. 

My M30 seemed to work much better plugged in – not sure if a core/timing issue but seemed to be far, far less responsive in BT mode (yes, it's charged!). 

I'm thinking about ordering a set of SNAC adaptors. 

Before I commit, no one has seen a SNAC adaptor hub that's either available or coming in the future have they? It would be really nice to have something that I could leave plugged in that I could then plug different controllers into rather than swapping the connection to the MiSTer each time I want to change controller. 

There's perhaps a good reason this isn't possible but just wanted to make sure before ordering the individual ones. 

Hi all,

Still have my MiSTer and love the appliance-like reliability it provides.

I am about to venture into the land of PS1 emulation (having just received my PS1 SNAC adapter) and wondered if there's anything in particular I need to be aware of?  I'm thinking of BIOS files, ROM file format etc.

Looking forward to diving back in to Point Blank and Time Crisis with my trusty G-Con 45s!

I'm certain that update_all takes care of all the bios related files and puts them into the necessary locations. Your games can either be in bin/cue format, but you can compress them down into .chd format for space saving.

I don't use Snac so others will have to chime in here for anything related to that!

I had to put the three region BIOS files in the PSX folder and renamed in a certain way, but hopefully update_all does that for you now. It's not hard anyway and once you get it going it works brilliantly. Never had any issues with PS1. 

Update_all certainly grabs the bios files for the PlayStation core. I accidentally deleted mine on Sunday as I was messing around with my hard drive. Ran update all and it downloaded them again for me automatically.