MiSTer: FPGA gaming

That case looks really nice, @watusiI'm very envious! I can't justify getting another case though so my current case will suffice. "MiSTer Addons" in the US has just started selling a new passively cooled aluminium case. Very tempted by this, but I can't justify the expense especially with the additional 25% import tax hike added by EU customs. It looks nice though!

https://misteraddons.com/products/aluminum-passively-cooled-case

DoDonPachi Beta 2 - sound is now working, albeit with a few gremlins which I'm sure Josh will iron out! Kinda sounds like one channel cuts out another channel. So hyped for this core, would make a lovely Xmas present  if it's released publically this year.

Another heads up for everyone, Jotego has launched his Capcom 1.5 core to the public. This brings an additional five arcade games: Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Muscle Bomber Duo Ultimate, Saturday Night Slam Masters, The Punisher & Warriors Of Fate.

I haven't run my update script yet, but the previous few Jotego releases there's been a slight delay between Jotego releasing the core & the Retrodriven script picking them up. If you know your way around the MiSTer file structure you can get the RBF & MRAs from here and place them yourself manually ..... RBF in the core folder, I've created a "cps15" folder within "_arcade/unofficial" for the mra files.

Another edit: At the moment these won't be picked up by the Retrodriven updater script. The main reason seems that Mr. Retrodriven is not updating his script currently (real life got in the way) and that's not expected to change soon.

There is another update option, that is to use the "update all" script. I haven't looked at this script in any great detail, apart from one use in it's very early days. This will be the perfect opportunity for me to set up a completely brand new install using the newer "Mr Fusion" image and to see for myself just how easy (or difficult) configuring a new MiSTer SD card is now.

15 hours ago, shiffy said:

There is another update option, that is to use the "update all" script. I haven't looked at this script in any great detail, apart from one use in it's very early days. This will be the perfect opportunity for me to set up a completely brand new install using the newer "Mr Fusion" image and to see for myself just how easy (or difficult) configuring a new MiSTer SD card is now.

this is exactly what I did as i wanted to move to a larger sd card. I used the update all script with a little help from a load of prebuilt packs I found on archive.org. My roms were all over the place on my old build. 

update all Is just as good IMO, has some nice organisation options too - all the arcade ends can be browsed by year and manufacturer. 

17 minutes ago, bwi said:

Can anyone tell me what the alternative to the retrodriven script is? Gutted he's hanging up his boots on this.

Here's the alternative, it's maintained by "theypsilon" and "amoore2600" takes care of the mame side of things. I ran it in the very early hours this morning but was too tired to take the SD card out of the MiSTer and have a look at the file structure that it creates. The one issue I I can remember from this script was related to the organized roms folder, I seem to recall it created almost a gig's worth of links (can't recall the exact issue) but a few folk were complaining about it/

1 minute ago, shiffy said:

Here's the alternative, it's maintained by "theypsilon" and "amoore2600" takes care of the mame side of things. I ran it in the very early hours this morning but was too tired to take the SD card out of the MiSTer and have a look at the file structure that it creates. The one issue I I can remember from this script was related to the organized roms folder, I seem to recall it created almost a gig's worth of links (can't recall the exact issue) but a few folk were complaining about it/

thanks shiffy, did you have any problems with the cps1.5 core in relation to address errors? Is that in relation to what he was saying on twitter about speed access to some 128mb ram modules?

I didn't see any address errors. Mind you, I didn't run each game for long, I placed all the rbf mra files myself (the roms had come down from a previous Retrodriven update. Is it possible that different roms are being used by other people who have seen this issue? I saw Jotego's comments earlier in the week about the speed of the sdram but didn't pay too much attention other than some of the other devs thought he was being a bit of diva about it, they thought he had something wrong within the core. These devs all agreed that that the sdram should be easily fast enough for CPS1.5. I'll be putting the core through a longer playthrough later.

Couple of questions. I updated just now using RetroDrivens script as he is hanging up his boots for a while.

Are Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 public yet as every time I run them I get a blank screen. Everything else seems to work.

If I switch to the update_all script, do it download all the roms the same as Retrodrivens script does?

Also, does it change the file structure at all from Retrodriven's in other words, will it overwrite/use the existing roms in the folders or will I have 2 sets of files

Is it best to start with a blank Mister installation again?

@AceGraceThere's no need to start with a completely blank MiSTer installation. Here's what I did. Make a backup of your current _Arcade folder (just in case) and store that somewhere safe, preferably zip it up so that you have _Arcade.zip or _Arcade..7z. Then delete the _Arcade folder. Leave the Mame & HBMame folders with your roms within the games folder as is, no need to touch those.

Download the "update_all" script if you haven't already & put it into the scripts folder. When running the script for the first time hold "UP" on the controller to change a few config settings if youu want, I think that downloading the HBMame & alternative MRAs are turned off by default. Adjust any settings you want, save and then let the script do it's business. The first run of the script will take a little while. Like the Retrodriven script it will daisy-chains a few scripts together so it will run the official updater, jotego updater, unofficial updater, bios getter, mame getter, arcade organizer .

The main difference between the two scripts is the folder structure of the "unoffical" stuff. Instead of seeing "_unofficial, _Jotego, _cps1" folders like you got with the RD script you'll now see "_alternatives, _organized" folders with the Update_All script. See the image I've attached.

Gauntlet 1 & 2 (and Vindicators Pt 2 - part of the same core) are now public, the Update_All script should pull these down. I'm guessing the reason for yours not working is because I don't think Retrodriven was ever updated to include those. If you find you're still having issues with these games once you've set up the Update_All script let me know. Vindicators is a special case and may need a little tinkering, I set my copy of this up manually.

As my Mame  files were already in place I didn't notice on mine if the Update_All pulled down any additional Mame stuff. And the script shouldn't duplicate anything you already have.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have issues!

Screenshot 2020-12-12 16.43.09.png

Now that I've spent a bit more time with the CPS1.5 core I'm seeing now seeing the issue everyone is talking about. Only seems to be happening on Saturday Night Slam Master, and that's with the updated core that was released about 2 hours ago (posted at 22:21 on 12th December)

Already I'm seeing talk of "JT-ram" (a new Jotego approved SDram). I hope things won't go that far.

8 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Drama on an open source project? NEVER!

No drama at all! :lol: You've got to laugh at it really. It's way too early to know where all this will lead. I just hope it doesn't lead to a fragmentation of the platform. What I've seen so far is that a new version of memtest might be written (adapted) by Jotego to test for an issue that the current version doesn't look for.

There's been a lot about assorted scripts in this thread, but to date, I've used the curated approach and just have the CPS1 core, Neo Geo, SNES, NES, GBA and PCE stuff on my MiSTer all set up manually.

I ran update from the MiSTER menu and it pulled stuff down that I didn't want and put it all in places I didn't like.

I'm guessing this is the default update script and the alternatives are better?

Can someone give a recap of the best approach here?

@AceGrace - Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is now officially available, or as official as it will ever be! If you've used "update_all" you should see it listed as Cadillacs & Dinosaurs amongst your main list of MRA files. You may run into an issue with it not starting (related to the SDram issue that's being talked about). If it doesn't start then select another CPS1.5 game (The Punisher or Warriors Of Fate seem to work for me) and then go back to Cadillacs.

@Colonel Panic From this moment on assume that the Retrodriven script no longer exists! There are two main scripts in use. The official updater will pull down nearly everything that is in the official MiSTer repository. It will set up the SDcard with what is considered to be the best layout for the folder structure. The unofficial "update_all" uses the official script to download this official layout as above, but will also download the unofficial cores of Jotego (and others). Simply using "update_all" in it's default setting will get everything you need if you were setting up a new SDcard from scratch and place all the files in the right place. I know this only partially answers the question about a curated set of cores. I've sent you a PM regarding more about this.

17 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

I’m thinking about buying a setup for my living room.  What’s the best option for wireless controllers?  I have some 8bitdo Bluetooth controllers I was using with a Pi.  Will they work out of the box without any additional boards?

You’d need a 8bitdo usb adaptor or a usb Bluetooth adaptor to hook them up. As controllers they work really well with mister. I have a pc engine, mega drive and SNES pad for mine. 

23 minutes ago, watusi said:

You’d need a 8bitdo usb adaptor or a usb Bluetooth adaptor to hook them up. As controllers they work really well with mister. I have a pc engine, mega drive and SNES pad for mine. 

Excellent, thanks.  I was going to buy an Analogue Mega SG, but the MiSTer is a lot more flexible.  Plus, I like to tinker with stuff, so this suits me better.

In terms of add-ons I’m getting the USB hub board and 128mb SDRAM.  I’m not sure if I need the £12.99 fan plate and heat sink though.  I’ll be using HDMI so I definitely don’t need the I/O board.