IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

21 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Indeed. And if you think that's okay then that's okay.

How about we just drop the snipe posts from now on? You can even have the last word if you like!

My original post was because we are all talking about how we are getting or have more than one MiSTer as it's so good. 

If you want to shit on Analogue afterwards because you simply misunderstood my post, go for it if it lets you get your bitterness out.

Back on topic: I'm well aware that USB/HDMI/AC sockets can wear down (and completely out) over the general medium-to-long term - but how likely is it that the SOC and other important/difficult to replace onboard components start to pack in with regular use? These things are designed specifically to be dossed around with, as opposed to consumer goods. I get the impression that they're somewhat disposable at the enterprise level.

42 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Was going to (very reluctantly) call it quits on MiSTer… Then early this morning I get an email confirming my DE10 Nano has been dispatched by Mouser; ETA this Friday afternoon. :omg:

one of us, one of us, one of us

OK, prep work begins now!

Mr Fusion has been loaded onto a micro SD card (several months ago!). I have the case and sub-boards, some controllers, generic USB keyboard, random other bits.

OK, weird issue to start with: I’ve only got one TV, and it’s four metres from the router, in a different room. The room with the router has a phone socket, which the living room doesn’t have. So to connect the newly assembled MiSTer to the router by Ethernet lead, to kickstart it all, either I’ll have to move the TV (heavy!), trace a very long Ethernet lead quickly, or borrow a monitor with HDMI input. I’ll have to sort that quickly!

6 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

OK, prep work begins now!

Mr Fusion has been loaded onto a micro SD card (several months ago!). I have the case and sub-boards, some controllers, generic USB keyboard, random other bits.

OK, weird issue to start with: I’ve only got one TV, and it’s four metres from the router, in a different room. The room with the router has a phone socket, which the living room doesn’t have. So to connect the newly assembled MiSTer to the router by Ethernet lead, to kickstart it all, either I’ll have to move the TV (heavy!), trace a very long Ethernet lead quickly, or borrow a monitor with HDMI input. I’ll have to sort that quickly!

You can use a wi-fi dongle, very cheap. I only have a cable plugged in as the router is directly behind the telly. 

Just now, Vimster said:

You can use a wi-fi dongle, very cheap. I only have a cable plugged in as the router is directly behind the telly. 

Have a Wi-Fi dongle with the bits, but apparently you need Ethernet to get the device up and running with Mr Fusion, unless I’ve overlooked something.

Just now, Protocol Penguin said:

Have a Wi-Fi dongle with the bits, but apparently you need Ethernet to get the device up and running with Mr Fusion, unless I’ve overlooked something.

From what I can gather it just sets up the SD card, not sure if it's pulling stuff off the internet or not. You would definitely need it for update_all though. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Mister Fusion includes the wifi setup script and update_all so no wired connection  needed. 

Relief! Thanks. (Yes, I should’ve read more carefully.)

Anyway, I noticed that the sub-boards come in anti-static bags. Would I have to take precautions when handling the boards, as to not damage them?

Seems my RAM module has gone funky - games started going a bit wonky, then crashing, then outright not starting. Tried reseating it, seemed to fix things for a week or so, but the problems have returned. Running the DE10 without additional RAM works perfectly (the cores that work sans RAM, at least) so it's definitely the module.

Now comes the fun part: going at the module with the hot air station (and a ton of flux) to see if that helps in the slightest. Way I figure it I either fix it almost by accident, or I don't and it's broken anyway. All I wanted to do was play Final Fight for a bit, sigh.

48 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Anyway, I noticed that the sub-boards come in anti-static bags. Would I have to take precautions when handling the boards, as to not damage them?

Just hold the boards by the edges whenever you can and try not to touch the components if you can help it and you'll be fine.

22 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Reading up on MiSTer. This confuses me – never heard of this. Does this imply

that the MiSTer can be connected to as a server wirelessly?
58CADD18-7451-4995-A1D9-C30E44409911.thumb.jpeg.6d91cbafa7dfe014fb59e1c598e8cda0.jpeg

Precisely. Instead of removing the SD card from the DE10 everytime you want to add stuff to it (the SD card slot is another one of the weak points of the DE10 as well as the OTG port) you can set it up so that the MiSTer is seen as a folder on your Windows PC. If you have lots to add to the SD card though, it's best to put the bulk of your files onto the SD card via the PC first.

59 minutes ago, shiffy said:

Precisely. Instead of removing the SD card from the DE10 everytime you want to add stuff to it (the SD card slot is another one of the weak points of the DE10 as well as the OTG port) you can set it up so that the MiSTer is seen as a folder on your Windows PC. If you have lots to add to the SD card though, it's best to put the bulk of your files onto the SD card via the PC first.

Ah, thanks. So much to learn. Would that work on a non Windows PC computer as well, as my computer is a Mac?

(I’ll remember that about the SC card slot, thanks. I’ll make sure it gets as little wear as possible.)

If you have a Mac, use scp to transfer files from your local computer to Mister

scp -r $HOME/Downloads/R-Types\ \(USA\), $HOME/Downloads/RayStorm\ \(USA\), $HOME/Downloads/WipEout\ 3\ -\ Special\ Edition\ \(Europe\)\ \(En,Fr,De,Es,It\) root@192.168.68.108:/media/fat/games/PSX/

scp -r source/folder/one, source/folder/two, source/folder/three root@192.168.68.108:/media/fat/games/console_folder_here/

192.168.68.108 is the IP of one of my Misters, replace as required.