IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Massive thanks to @Colonel Panic and @Tomdominer for their advice yesterday regarding editing the downloader.ini file.

Been having a play about with it this morning and after a shaky start where all my filters got deleted, I did the sensible thing and read up on what I was doing and have got everything working perfectly with a super clean installation. Well pleased with it. Cheers guys.

Definitely enjoying my MiSTer so far, although this extreme heat doesn't make me want to sit playing stuff all day.

Another question though: the picture goes off the edge of the screen on my 4k LG TV.  The edges of the picture get chopped off. Is there a way to set this properly?

EDIT: solved it by setting it to integer scaling.

Have any of you folks bought or considered buying a second DE10-Nano just to keep as a spare but not use in case your existing one fails. 

On one hand it could be a complete waste of £260 that I could really do without spending, particularly with things as they are at the moment. But like all insurance it could be the best money I’ve ever spent. 

They’re only going up in price generally, but at some point in time Terasic will stop making them and unless there’s already an affordable alternative board that the community has moved over to which seems unlikely, then they’ll almost certainly rocket in price. That’s if you can get one at all of course. 

It’s hard to know what to do, but the MiSTer has quickly become my favourite gaming ‘thing’ and what I’d rescue from a burning building straight after my missus and the dog. 

I stumbled upon someone who clearly didn't know/care about the gaming side of it selling a boxed/barely used one cheap soon after buying my first for the regular price (which itself was a lot cheaper than the current prices) a couple of years ago. Couldn't resist buying that. I tested it to see if it worked and it's been in the box since. Obviously glad I have a spare now that I see the price and supply situation.

I have spare DE-10 now. I got it towards the end of last year with the intention of using it for the computer related cores in a different location in the house & where my piano is located. Admittedly, I have never gotten around to setting up this second DE-10. However, my main DE-10 unit (probably amongst the oldest units among the RLLMUK MiSTer users) seems to be developing an issue that is hardware related. I'm thinking it's maybe a dry joint on the power connector. It's a little strange though as it's not like I'm constantly plugging / unplugging the power from the DE-10. I may have to break out the second unit in the near future.

The original DE-10 always powers on, but it now struggles to power the USB board (I am using a those Meanwell power supply nowadays). A wiggle of the power & pushing the barrell into the DE-10 as hard as I can usually cures it, but it's becoming more & more difficult to get the USB hub to stay on. Disheartening when you've spent 10 mintues fiddling with the lead only to all the lights go out on the USB hub 10 minutes later with the joypads disconnecting & losing power to the HDD meaning the PSX game you're playing locks up.

2 hours ago, shiffy said:

I have spare DE-10 now. I got it towards the end of last year with the intention of using it for the computer related cores in a different location in the house & where my piano is located. Admittedly, I have never gotten around to setting up this second DE-10. However, my main DE-10 unit (probably amongst the oldest units among the RLLMUK MiSTer users) seems to be developing an issue that is hardware related. I'm thinking it's maybe a dry joint on the power connector. It's a little strange though as it's not like I'm constantly plugging / unplugging the power from the DE-10. I may have to break out the second unit in the near future.

The original DE-10 always powers on, but it now struggles to power the USB board (I am using a those Meanwell power supply nowadays). A wiggle of the power & pushing the barrell into the DE-10 as hard as I can usually cures it, but it's becoming more & more difficult to get the USB hub to stay on. Disheartening when you've spent 10 mintues fiddling with the lead only to all the lights go out on the USB hub 10 minutes later with the joypads disconnecting & losing power to the HDD meaning the PSX game you're playing locks up.

How are you passing power to the usb board? If it’s via those little tines that stick up then it could very well be a contact issue. Try a power splitter cable in that instance. 

2 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

How are you passing power to the usb board? If it’s via those little tines that stick up then it could very well be a contact issue. Try a power splitter cable in that instance. 

The USB hub is powered off the DE-10 itself using a USB bridge  that can be seen on Ricardo's website. The USB board I have doesn't have the barrell socket to use a splitter cable. I will probably dismantle it all next week and see if that board just needs reseating. Funnily enough, it's been behaving itself today, no issues whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, shiffy said:

The USB hub is powered off the DE-10 itself using a USB bridge  that can be seen on Ricardo's website. The USB board I have doesn't have the barrell socket to use a splitter cable. I will probably dismantle it all next week and see if that board just needs reseating. Funnily enough, it's been behaving itself today, no issues whatsoever.

I’ve got this USB board going spare if that’s any good to you mate?

KZKjlZC.jpg

4 minutes ago, Swainy said:

I’ve got this USB board going spare if that’s any good to you mate?

Thanks for the offer, Swainy. I'll certainly keep that in mind. I will dismantle mine first though, just in case it is a simple connection issue with the bridge.

19 minutes ago, shiffy said:

Thanks for the offer, Swainy. I'll certainly keep that in mind. I will dismantle mine first though, just in case it is a simple connection issue with the bridge.

No worries mate, just give me a shout if you need it.

I can't seem to get to the settings page for update_all. When I press 'up' (on a controller or keyboard) during the script's startup, nothing happens. I've tried this on both CRT and LCD displays (as I'm aware a lot of screens don't display on CRT), but the results are the same. Is there anything else I can try? I'm just trying to enable certain downloads, and have done so without issue in the past, so I'm a bit stumped...

Thanks! I gave it a go and got the message at the bottom of this picture. Is it something I can easily correct? (On CRT, the script was closing too quickly for me to read it, but it's seemingly been giving this message for a while.)

updateall.png

2 hours ago, shiffy said:

So the little micro usb to micro usb won’t carry enough power for loads of usb devices. That board has two little prongs that takes 5v off the underside where the jack is soldered on the de-10. Check that little prong is making a good contact. If it isn’t then you’re pulling 5v through the micro usb socket which can’t supply enough juice. 

what I did was solder a wire to the de-10 power jack to take 5v straight from the psu to power my usb bus. I can run wifi dongles and all sorts straight from an unpowered hub now. 

58 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I know, they should take the money in advance then make you wait a year for delivery. 

If only they let you know before you place the order, and you can cancel and get your money back at any point.

oh right, they do.