IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

1 hour ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Ah right okay, maybe not the solution for me then. One of the things I love the most about MiSTer is watching update_all do it's job and seeing new Arcade cores appear and download.

You can configure the filter to download any and all new arcade cores, while not downloading all the obscure micro computer cores. That's what I do.

The only thing you need to do is to add new console and computer cores as they appear, like the PSX etc.

Yeah, that's what I do. I get all the arcade cores, but only some of the console cores.

This is mine

[mister]
filter ="arcade-cores NES SNES GBA Gameboy TurboGrafx16 MasterSystem Genesis SegaCd s32x NeoGeo psx MemTest !alternatives"

Cheers guys. That looks like a good solution after all then. Not exactly what I'd envisaged but when I sit down to play a game it'll give me the experience I'm looking for. I'll have a play later. Much appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, partious said:

I wasn't very impressed by my brief play with it recently. Definitely felt worse/blurrier than the old 1080p monitor I've been using the mister with for the last couple of years, which I wasn't expecting since the 1440p one is a decent enough gaming monitor.  

I have the exact same monitor as you and it's absolutely blistering at 720p.

IMG-20210322-232751.jpg

720p will scale from 240p perfectly, as opposed to trying to squash 240p into 1080p four and a half times. I play with CRT effects so integer scaling is essential for perfectly uniform horizontal lines.

Are you sure you're not stretching the image?

17 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I have the exact same monitor as you and it's absolutely blistering at 720p.

IMG-20210322-232751.jpg

720p will scale from 240p perfectly, as opposed to trying to squash 240p into 1080p four and a half times. I play with CRT effects so integer scaling is essential for perfectly uniform horizontal lines.

Are you sure you're not stretching the image?

Looks great. This gives me hope. Can you tell me your settings/link to a guide you'd recommend?

44 minutes ago, partious said:

Looks great. This gives me hope. Can you tell me your settings/link to a guide?

I've actually overridden mostly everything now because I moved over to our old 4K 55" from downstairs. 

However, when I was occasionally playing on this screen I'd kept everything mostly stock. The first two things you want to set in stone are the 720p output and v-integer scaling (vscale=1 in the .ini), that wants to be turned on at all times if you plan on using scan lines. For that shot above I wasn't doing anything fancy with the shadow/slot masks, just regular old Medium Scanlines from the video filters menu.

I was more than happy with that for months when not using the PVM, as I couldn't get shadow masks working at all (covered and resolved a few pages back).

https://github.com/atrac17/Integer_Video_Modes

There's a massively in-depth guide if you want to tweak your filters to absolute perfection, as I've done for the 4K set:

IMG-2238-2.jpg

Also, find a screen that does RGB. Or not, I just picked up a gamma/geometry calibrated 20" PVM after using 15" models for ages and I'm finding that I still prefer the 4K LCD and my 15" (there are scan lines, and then there are massive scan lines which are too much, for 224/240 at least - or maybe I just need to get used to sitting back a bit instead). YMMV, but there's a pretty big gulf between composite and RGB.

3 hours ago, partious said:

Anyone here running one of these on a 1440p monitor? Can't help but feel it looks and feels pretty bad on mine (ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q) compared to my old non-gaming 1080p HP one. I tried changing the mister.ini for 1440p but I get an "out of bounds" message on the monitor (using the HDMI cable that came with the monitor) maybe I'm missing something. 

I have a crt that only has composite. What's the cheapest/easiest way to output composite from a mister? Sort of surprised it's not easier to find this info. Surely more people have an old 14 inch composite consumer CRT than a pvm.

There are some unofficial cores floating around out there that output svideo over the analogue board which you can combine to composite. 

31 minutes ago, partious said:

OK, I changed  v-integer scaling to 1 and discovered shadow masks and now I take back everything I said on the previous page. It looks stunning now. 

Remember vsync-adjust=2 for practically zero scaler lag, also. Our monitors are compatible.

21 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Remember vsync-adjust=2 for practically zero scaler lag, also. Our monitors are compatible.

I definitely feel like I can notice a (positive) difference in responsiveness after changing that. 

17 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Is vsync-adjust=2 likely to work on a five year-old LG 43" TV?

I would say that it depends on the core. I had to disable it for certain cores that are (probably) outputting at 55hz, like Final Fight.

You can now solve this issue by enabling VRR in the settings in file, but I would assume your TV is a wee bit too old for VRR. 

37 minutes ago, partious said:

I definitely feel like I can notice a (positive) difference in responsiveness after changing that. 

The only thing holding me back from getting rid of all my CRTs is the fear of potential regret later on. That, and all the extreme bullshit I’ve had to wade through to get them.

13 minutes ago, Fallows said:

The only thing holding me back from getting rid of all my CRTs is the fear of potential regret later on.

I'm sitting here playing this not quite believing what I'm experiencing. After changing those settings I can't believe how good the mister looks on this monitor with the pvm shadow mask/how little lag I can feel (none basically). My whole "LCD sucks for retro games" world has been turned upside down in an evening.

Glad to hear it. :)

Yeah. I’ve not even tried it yet on our new LG 77 G1, which was chosen over the G2 primarily because of the MiSTer, and its low latency when set to 4:3. The shop even offered me the G2 at the same price and I turned them down!

I’m afraid that downstairs home theatre retro action would just send me right over the edge, which would spell the end of my ManAttic.

Sorry, another stupid question:

I have my DE10 Nano finally, still waiting for my analogue I/O board. I could connect the USB hub up, connect HDMI and set my SD card up now can't I? I don't need the I/O board to do that. 

3 hours ago, partious said:

I'm sitting here playing this not quite believing what I'm experiencing. After changing those settings I can't believe how good the mister looks on this monitor with the pvm shadow mask/how little lag I can feel (none basically). My whole "LCD sucks for retro games" world has been turned upside down in an evening.

Also a quick potential reminder, you set the USB polling to low latency as well, right? That's another essential tweak.

7 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yes. Have you got an sdram board yet? If not you can still run mega drive and pc engine cores I think. 

Yes, have a RAM module but all I want to do is set the card up, run the update script for now.