Jump to content
IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming


Dr_Dave
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Swainy said:

I always find Facebook market place a fairly good place to find them fairly cheap. I recently got talking to a guy who does house clearances who sells CRT’s for a tenner each just to get rid of them quick.

 

That and eBay are going to be my next port of call if the local shops prove unfruitful. I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed but I just can't get it out of my head that they might have a lovely boxed one that they've never done anything with, dusty and hidden away at the back of the storeroom. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Is there any benefit to having a case beyond it looking tidy? I quite like the look of the stack of boards with the plastic plates on top and bottom. 

 

Mainly just to keep dust out and so it's a bit more robust I suppose if you're picking it up and moving it about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

 

That and eBay are going to be my next port of call if the local shops prove unfruitful. I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed but I just can't get it out of my head that they might have a lovely boxed one that they've never done anything with, dusty and hidden away at the back of the storeroom. 

That's the dream. Sadly most CRTs in the wild are trash, although as long as you get to test them out you can find some good ones that whilst never near PVM/Trinitron standard, do a great job and give you that authentic CRT experience. 

 

I'd say if you're going eBay and you're able, go to the place and have a look at it going, and take someone with you to help lug it. 

 

Anyway, there's a dedicated CRT thread here somewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Is there any benefit to having a case beyond it looking tidy? I quite like the look of the stack of boards with the plastic plates on top and bottom. 

 

Depends on the case- the aluminium ones MiSTerAddons does also act as CPU heatsinks, so you don't need to have a fan. Personally I prefer the flat industrial look as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Is there any benefit to having a case beyond it looking tidy? I quite like the look of the stack of boards with the plastic plates on top and bottom. 

 

That's all I did, with the intention of upgrading later.

 

I love the look of it so much that it's being kept as is. I quick blast out with the compressed air is all it ever needs for a clean, not that I've ever noticed it go dusty at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

In case anyone is interested in buying direct, total cost for me was £291 (£233 for board+shipping, £58 customs). 

So, it's either that, or waiting for the Mouser order (which was meant to be last month, but moved to July)? If it's either those, I'll most likely going to call it quits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/08/2022 at 22:56, Ninja Doctor said:

The io boards are handy for the buttons though. But you could do what I did and just wire gpio pins direct to case buttons. 
 

sdram is definitely required though. Get a 128MB board. 

If you look at the schematics from the GitHub it shows how the buttons are wired. I only have one wired up, the menu (osd) button. That’s wired via a momentary push button on pin 13 with ground pin 12 (pin 30 is also ground I think) on gpio1 (the one without the sdram in).

 

reset button is pin 15, user button is pin 17. Just pull them low (short to ground) to press them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2022 at 10:25, Swainy said:

https://misterfpga.co.uk Now has PlayStation Snac adapters available, especially handy if you want to use your light guns on a CRT: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-playstation-psx-adapter/

 

I didn't realise until going to look at it just now, but it's also got two ports on it. That's absolutely mint.

 

Buy-PSX-PlayStation-SNAC-Adapter.png

 

Gonna order one soon. I don't even care about taxes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

 

I didn't realise until going to look at it just now, but it's also got two ports on it. That's absolutely mint.

 

Buy-PSX-PlayStation-SNAC-Adapter.png

 

Gonna order one soon. I don't even care about taxes.

 

I still have my Guncon, that I bought with Time Crisis in...1997! 
It still works, and I've recently played through Time Crisis on my PS1... but there must be so many cool PS1 lightgun games for me to check out! :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

I still have my Guncon, that I bought with Time Crisis in...1997! 
It still works, and I've recently played through Time Crisis on my PS1... but there must be so many cool PS1 lightgun games for me to check out! :D

 

 

The Point Blank games instantly spring to mind.

So glad this thing does 2-player, I don't need to order a RaphNet now.

 

I'd love to see a similar ones built for the other consoles, tbh. Lack of 2-player on the same interface is the only thing that puts me off of SNAC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

If it’s snac then negcon should work. 
 

The guncon2 works natively over usb on mister btw. 

 

Yeah I know, I have a guncon 2 too, for some reason didn't have much luck with the composite breakout scart adaptor I bought though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know of a way to hide cores from the main menu? 

 

I want to keep getting new ones and retain and keep updating all of the existing ones but it would sooth my mild OCD if I could only see the cores that I'm interested in at any given time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

You can edit the downloader configuration to only get cores you want, which isn’t exactly what you want, but as good as it can get. I’ll post mine later. 

 

Yeah I'd considered that. Does that stop new cores from being downloaded unless you add them into the configuration?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone here running one of these on a 1440p monitor? Can't help but feel it looks and feels pretty bad on mine (ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q) compared to my old non-gaming 1080p HP one. I tried changing the mister.ini for 1440p but I get an "out of bounds" message on the monitor (using the HDMI cable that came with the monitor) maybe I'm missing something. 

 

I have a crt that only has composite. What's the cheapest/easiest way to output composite from a mister? Sort of surprised it's not easier to find this info. Surely more people have an old 14 inch composite consumer CRT than a pvm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, partious said:

have a crt that only has composite. What's the cheapest/easiest way to output composite from a mister? Sort of surprised it's not easier to find this info. Surely more people have an old 14 inch composite consumer CRT than a pvm.

 

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

 

I use one of these with S-Video but it supports composite. A small warning though, apparently the dot crawl with composite is REALLY bad. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

 

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/vga-composite-s-video-adapter/

 

I use one of these with S-Video but it supports composite. A small warning though, apparently the dot crawl with composite is REALLY bad. 

 

 

 

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort for composite when I already have the original hardware and pi on the crt.

 

I'll try to figure out how to improve my mister experience over HDMI on my monitor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, partious said:

 

Thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort for composite when I already have the original hardware and pi on the crt.

 

I'll try to figure out how to improve my mister experience over HDMI on my monitor. 

Sounds like you need a CRT with RGB input rather than composite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Mister, 1440p is 1440 pixels in height, but the width is 1920 which makes it 4:3, not 16:9, which is why your monitor is freaking out. Neither my TV or any of my monitors will support it either. Same applies for 1440p from the RetroTink 5x.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

For Mister, 1440p is 1440 pixels in height, but the width is 1920 which makes it 4:3, not 16:9, which is why your monitor is freaking out. Neither my TV or any of my monitors will support it either. Same applies for 1440p from the RetroTink 5x.

 

So is it best to leave it at the default (720p I think..)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Yeah, that'll scale nicely for you.

 

 I wasn't very impressed by my brief play with it recently. Definitely felt worse/blurrier than the old 1080p monitor I've been using the mister with for the last couple of years, which I wasn't expecting since the 1440p one is a decent enough gaming monitor.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.