IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

32 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

I definitely wouldn't give up on it, especially if you have the other boards

Sunk cost fallacy. ;) But there’s a difference between spending £140-ish and spending £300 on a circuit board.

I would use it, though. If bought and assembled. Just have to think whether I can justify the cost at the moment.

Yes, I do want a one, it would get use, the thing is more and more useful by the week these days thanks to all the work going on. If I have to pay then I'll have to, simple as that. At least if I cancel my Mouser order that's most of the money towards it. Are these things just ridiculously popular or is the chip shortage still a thing?

I bought mine direct about 3 months ago and it cost me £210 plus £55 import costs. 

If you can at all afford the little bit extra it costs then it's a no brainer. Having had one now I'd pay whatever I could afford if I needed to replace it. 

I know that they are expensive but the best way to look at it is how many different systems and various arcade games you get for your money. 

My real hardware barely gets a look in these days.

Yeah there’s a reason I cancelled my Mouser order. Terasic order took only a matter of weeks and any cost difference was negligible. If you have the means I’d go for it @Protocol Penguin

i don’t think Mouser take any money until just pre-shipping so you’ve got the cost to come either way, unless you do cancel entirely.

Okay I've gone for it. £220 including shipping where Mouser was £210. Not sure how much the customs is likely to be but I really do want one of these. They reckon 19th August.

Okay, my DE10 is on its way and should be here ready for me to put it together at the weekend.

I have a question though. I bought a digital I/O board as I was going to use it on my LG TV. I do have a CRT (RGB SCART input). If I buy an analogue I/O board does that have HDMI out as well? I would prefer to use it on the LG TV as it's in the living room and more comfortable to play, but all this talk about input lag makes me wonder if I should go analogue. Is the input lag really that bad?

The DE-10 has HDMI out and the I/O board has it’s own analogue output. I think that the digital I/O board can output an an analogue signal too via some sort of adaptor but I’m not sure of the details. I’ve never played on a CRT but even through an LCD the lag is really minimal. I think that the only game I’ve has issues with is Parappa the Rapper, which I believe has really strict timings for button inputs.

31 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Okay, my DE10 is on its way and should be here ready for me to put it together at the weekend.

I have a question though. I bought a digital I/O board as I was going to use it on my LG TV. I do have a CRT (RGB SCART input). If I buy an analogue I/O board does that have HDMI out as well? I would prefer to use it on the LG TV as it's in the living room and more comfortable to play, but all this talk about input lag makes me wonder if I should go analogue. Is the input lag really that bad?

Yes, in fact you can have it hooked up to both at the same time. I often record footage via hdmi whilst I play on my CRT.

36 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Yep you really don’t need the digital io board at all. I. Fact you don’t really need any of the io boards. 

Im still running mine with just the RAM, a heat sink and an Amazon OTG USB hub. 

57 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I think that the only game I’ve has issues with is Parappa the Rapper, which I believe has really strict timings for button inputs.

Parappa is, as far as I can work out, complete bollocks as a game, one stage the better you get at pressing the right buttons at the right time the quicker you fail, that's what was happening to me on the remaster anyway. I think you're supposed to press the wrong buttons? I gave up at that point.

Yeah for me the I/O board would really just be for the buttons, and in fact not even for those because I'd probably want to wire external buttons to the handy pins.

@Ninja Doctor which GPIO pins can be used? I figured there'd be a way but haven't looked into it yet. I just want a neat on/off switch really, everything else seems perfectly accessible by simply mapping controller buttons. Not quite sure what the fuss is about the 3 case buttons :)

Sod it, I already have the digital I/O bpard and I'm not spending another £50 so I can use it on a CRT once every six months. I'm also not one of these super-fussy arcade nutters who get shirty if the lag is above 0.05ms or whatever. Would have been nice but I'm too old for that shit and I'm sure it really is perfectly fine.

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Sod it, I already have the digital I/O bpard and I'm not spending another £50 so I can use it on a CRT once every six months. I'm also not one of these super-fussy arcade nutters who get shirty if the lag is above 0.05ms or whatever. Would have been nice but I'm too old for that shit and I'm sure it really is perfectly fine.

If it's occasional CRT play you're after, you can get an analogue signal out of the HDMI port on the main board. You just enable direct_video=1 in the config and use an HDMI to VGA adaptor (then VGA to RGB like normal). It's a little fussy about the chipset used in the HDMI adaptor, but you can pick one up for about a fiver. 

The downside is that you can't do HDMI and CRT at the same time, but you can keep the CRT config in one of the alternate cfg files for easy switching.

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

Why not just exchange it for the analogue one? It'd be handy to have those options.

Are there still no more interesting cases available to buy for this than "small metal box" and "small plastic box"?

I love the look of some of the Amiga inspired keyboard cases people have 3d printed. 

I’m going out this afternoon on a hunt for a decent CRT. 

There are at least a couple of small independent TV / TV Repair / Aerial installation places within the local vicinity and in my head their store rooms have got at least a couple of nice brand new and boxed 21” Sony televisions just waiting to be discovered. I’ve got absolutely no idea where I’ll actually keep it if I do get one but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

Wish me luck! 

28 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I’m going out this afternoon on a hunt for a decent CRT. 

There are at least a couple of small independent TV / TV Repair / Aerial installation places within the local vicinity and in my head their store rooms have got at least a couple of nice brand new and boxed 21” Sony televisions just waiting to be discovered. I’ve got absolutely no idea where I’ll actually keep it if I do get one but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

Wish me luck! 

I always find Facebook market place a fairly good place to find them fairly cheap. I recently got talking to a guy who does house clearances who sells CRT’s for a tenner each just to get rid of them quick.