MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

6 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I've just had one of the 8Bitdo M30 USB Pads and an 8Bitdo Wireless USB Adaptor 2 delivered. 

I've got them working fine but it seems like I need to re-pair them every time I turn the Mister on or do a Cold Reboot. Is that how it should work or have I done something wrong somewhere?

my m30 doesn’t do this, but my pc engine pad does need to be wired before it works wirelessly 

2 minutes ago, ulala said:

my m30 doesn’t do this, but my pc engine pad does need to be wired before it works wirelessly 

Ah okay. Cheers for the confirmation. It’s probably me doing something wrong or not reading the instructions properly. I’ll have another go tomorrow. 

I am using an SN30 Pro and that needs paired with a standard Bluetooth adapter every time (so far, only been using it recently).

I would defo update the firmware on both the controller and the adapter and see if that makes a difference.

I’m finding this hard to validate, do I need a USB hub to run an SSD or can I run it off the DE-10?

I know.. LMGTFY

I’m still planning mine out. I’m not bothering with a I/O board either and have ordered a plate/fan/heat sink combo instead. Ultimately I want to build a custom case for it all.  Cheers!

EDIT: sounds likely that a powered solution using the y-splitter is required.. not sure if there's anything else out there right now other than the standard hub. Considered looking at a NAS instead, but that kind of goes against attempts to keep this low budget. Guess it's back to the "bigger microSD" concept.

The de10 only has one usb otg port so unless you’re controlling it telepathically you will need a hub of some sort to run a controller and external usb storage. 

on to point two; the otg port does not supply a lot of current at all. I very much doubt it can supply the full usb2.0 spec of 500mA so you really should get some sort of powered hub. The picture below is from before I missed in a very heath Robinson arrangement where I took a 5v vcc line directly off the power jack to juice my USB port. You can’t see it here but I disconnected the vcc line from the otg port and wired a jumper direct to the power jack. The mini USB ports are not usable so please ignore them. 

3BE3179D-04D1-49A3-91A3-0C1B99E9D79F.jpeg.7b4dd793c17aec18a3350cb6cecd335b.jpeg

Thirdly, the stock psu is ok but if you are hanging multiple things off the otg port then do consider an increased ampage psu. I had multitudinous minor issues until a started using a 4A rated psu from meanwell. Many people say that the stock psu works fine for them though so ymmv. 

Oh, it appears you also need the unstable nightly MiSTer build from discord as well, in order for it to work.

I just managed to boot my hacked separate iso of Deathtank (the multiplayer tank bonus game included in Duke Nukem as a freebie). Happy days!

I've also been dabbling with this without much success. Got the bios screen loading but it appears to be in "slow motion" mode, moving between the icons is sluggish. I'm sure it wasn't like this when I first loaded it.

At the moment, not really too bothered about not getting the core playing as I have a Saturn / Retrotink5X combo next to the MiSTer.

I've had the most success with the Bios Saturn 1.00a (U) [!].bin version. Either that, or the Bios Saturn 1.00 (J) [!].bin. Both of those seem to boot and behave. Some games have loaded, Rayforce seems to work flawlessly, also Radiant Silvergun seems solid! There does seem like a fair few issues remaining, with various games not booting and lots of crashes and audio issues, but its still incredible work, and one of the final systems I wanted on the MiSTer. My retro console collection is looking more and more pointless, to be honest.

Spent another half an hour or so with the Saturn core. Still no luck in getting it going. I'm sure I have the right bios file or I don't think I'd be seeing the boot screen. I've tried all the bios files with this same result, even the Hi-Saturn & V-Saturn bios. Really puzzled as to what I may have set up incorrectly! I've got the unstable "MiSTer" file from the nightly builds. I obviously have the core & the bios collection. It's a mystery at this point. Below is what I see, I've yet to successfully launch a Saturn game on MiSter so I'm almost at the point of giving up for the  moment & going back to the real thing!

@Tomdominerwould you be willing to share your rbf & unstable MiSTer files?

**EDIT: I think I've figured it out. Silly mistake!

They have to be in uncompressed bin & cue format. The discord channel recommends they are "redump-verified dumps", which are accepted proper rips which I think you can get from archive.org. That said, I've had games that aren't verified work.

Firstly, you definitely need the unstable nightly MiSTer build, which you then need to rename MiSTer and put in the root of your SD card (back up your old one just in case). Also, I'm using the Sega Saturn Bios 1.00a (U) [!].bin which I renamed as boot.rom and put into the root of the Games/Saturn folder. After that, run the core, and make sure you select the correct region for the game you want to run, and it might work?

Oh, definitely use the "Insert Disk *.cue" option to load roms. Its roughly 100x faster to load any game, and also seems to work more of the time. The saturn will act like you have put a disk in, so sometimes you need to select "load game" from the saturn menu itself after you do this.

On 24/05/2022 at 09:51, Tomdominer said:

They have to be in uncompressed bin & cue format. The discord channel recommends they are "redump-verified dumps", which are accepted proper rips which I think you can get from archive.org. That said, I've had games that aren't verified work.

Firstly, you definitely need the unstable nightly MiSTer build, which you then need to rename MiSTer and put in the root of your SD card (back up your old one just in case). Also, I'm using the Sega Saturn Bios 1.00a (U) [!].bin which I renamed as boot.rom and put into the root of the Games/Saturn folder. After that, run the core, and make sure you select the correct region for the game you want to run, and it might work?

Do you need to update the Menu core in order for the Saturn core to work?

I don't know what the menu core is? If it's the MiSTer core in the root of your SD card, then yeah, you need the unstable nightly I link to above. Unsure when the fix will be released on the standard update all, as I'm not sure of the process...

Ah okay, I misunderstood your post. I read is as needing to update the mister menu to an unstable version as well as getting the nightly Saturn core, which seemed weird to me.

Yeah, I read things and checked the Discord info again so I think I get it now.

Has anyone had the misfortune of having to deal with Digikey over a broken DE10 Nano?

It appears the SD reader is playing up (I've tried several different SD cards) and takes a few power offs and ons to boot into Mister FPGA.

This happened the first day I took delivery and emailed Digikey straight away.

After a million questions over several emails they've now gone silent. It's been over a month and I'm getting nowhere fast.

I paid via Paypal, should I open a dispute?

29 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Have you checked by booting the included Linux card?

I have booted into Linux, but only a couple of times and it worked fine. 

I would love to believe it’s the misterfpga software, but I’ve installed on several different SD cards, tried prebuilt and manual builds and all have the same problem - sometimes it boots, but more often than not it doesn’t. 

When it doesn’t boot a row of lights are green (all eight) and there’s no orange light. 

First time playing through this! 😮 

I'm working through the Castlevania games in a wonky order. I'd only played IV until recently, then played through the Famicom Disk System version of the first time and REALLY enjoyed it. So now, the one that helped coin MetroidVania, right?

IMG_9770.thumb.jpeg.7269c6c388985694ce4f6d2924e3d111.jpeg