IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

12 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I wish I hadn't read this. Its the knowing that something could be better that always gets me.

Part of the reason i've waited so long @Tomdominer - biding my time in case the current MiSTer setup is superseded in some way.. !

43 minutes ago, pastry said:

Part of the reason i've waited so long @Tomdominer - biding my time in case the current MiSTer setup is superseded in some way.. !

I'd understand that with a fixed system but the beauty of MiSTer is knowing that you can reconfigure it further down the line if something better comes along. I'd definitely get a new case and I/O board if dual RAM and analogue out will be supported.

1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

Not liking the mess that update_all has made to video options at all, it’s absolutely awful :(

General confusion or are you finding lots of empty folders in the shadowmask options as well?

Yeah, exactly that - lots of weird empty folders, the top … menu option taking me to some sort of global options with scripts etc in. Is that a problem for you too or is supposed to look like that? Too me ages to find the vertical scanlines option too, it’s not in the present video options folder for some reason.

Are you seeing a list of directories under "Load preset", starting with "Core specific", "Display specific", etc?

Scanlines and other processing being split into a separate "Video processing" option away from "Audio and video" didn't really make sense to me either.

There's a new tutorial here but it's brief:

https://youtu.be/yPV0LXdrdRE

(Won't embed on mobile for some reason!)

Edit: the presets aren't good but I'm getting used to the new system. Try having a look at the "Simple (Monochrome) > RetroTINK" masks. I'm trying AG2 at the moment and dialling in tweaks and adjustments here and there. Getting a subtle effect is quite easy with some of the brighter versions of those masks.

Looking at that video the usual scanline and shadowmask settings all appear to still be there.  Is this not the case?

@Phantoon that interface is one of the reasons I love my mister.  No box art, now faff, no animations or videos just some settings and game lists.  Great stuff.

3 hours ago, Bangaio said:

@Phantoon that interface is one of the reasons I love my mister.  No box art, now faff, no animations or videos just some settings and game lists.  Great stuff.

It's really counterintuitive though. The most important part is the smallest bit of the tab. Like most programmer UI stuff it makes sense when you know how it works, but it's deeply confusing if you don't. I love my MiSTer, but inscrutable menus can sometimes be a downside

I'd say that you're fine to delete anything that's empty. I saw a mention of this on Discord last week and there was mild surprise that the old folders had persisted. Anything that gets deleted that shouldn't have been can be replaced via update_all anyway.

I've noticed over the last month or so that my Mister is becoming increasingly difficult to boot up. It will display the static noise that it displays before it has found the SD card, as normal, but then stay in that state, doing nothing else but playing a crackling sound every few seconds. I think I found the culprit today - the 'Digitazz' wifi dongle that I bought with it! As soon as I take this out, the problem seems to go away. Any ideas as to why that would be?

Yeah, I run the 'update_all' script regularly. I'm guessing you're right - could just be a duff WiFi dongle! No idea why it would interfere with booting up, though. It even does it when changing from one console core to another, sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Update on my backorder from Mouser; shipping date estimated 29/7/22. That’s… Feels like a long time away. Would be contemplating cancelling if I didn’t have all the other components already. Guess it’s a waiting game now.

it'll be worth the wait!

Every time I see this come to the top of the page I think there's new stock in. 

Sorry if I've just done the same for you. 

And yes I have my email on all the places that stock them, or hopefully will soon. Got all the other bits. 

On 09/02/2022 at 15:28, Colonel Panic said:

It looks like they're in stock on the Terasic website, but no idea if they'll ship to Europe or former Europe plus €€€€shipping, VAT and duty.

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=1046&PartNo=8#contents

Thanks. Bit more than I’m willing to pay at the moment; I’ll keep my Mouser backorder for now and keep an eye out in the mean time. Gives me time to add some more bells and whistles to the preliminary setup, I guess!

On 10/02/2022 at 01:18, Protocol Penguin said:

Update on my backorder from Mouser; shipping date estimated 29/7/22. That’s… Feels like a long time away. Would be contemplating cancelling if I didn’t have all the other components already. Guess it’s a waiting game now.

Same here - 29 July via Mouser.

It's the day after my birthday so I guess I'll just think of it as a gift to myself :)

This PSX core is absolutely fucking incredible.

It's almost worrying watching the MiSTer pump out 3D graphics without even getting any warmer than usual (i.e., not warm at all).

I'm going to buy a PSX RaphNet adapter just for the feel of the controller whenever I want that itch tending to.