IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

5 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

So, I’ve got the DE10 Nano ordered, and already have: IO board, acrylic case, 32Mb RAM, USB multi-hub thing, Wi-Fi mini-dongle, micro SD card, generic USB keyboard. Anything else I should consider, without going overboard?

From where are you ordering?

4 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

You mention you got the IO board. Did you get the digital or analogue version? Do you plan on connecting the MiSTer to a CRT TV?

Digital. Don’t really have space for a CRT. Perhaps that wasn’t a great move, but I guess HDMI to RGB adapters exist if I need to connect to one in future.

4 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Digital. Don’t really have space for a CRT. Perhaps that wasn’t a great move, but I guess HDMI to RGB adapters exist if I need to connect to one in future.

Yeah, you can still take that route for analogue video if needs be. 

I only asked because if you were using the analogue IO you’re missing a SCART cable.

Digital IO is really useful as you get a power switch and the usual reset, menu and user buttons too. 

20 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

So, I’ve got the DE10 Nano ordered, and already have: IO board, acrylic case, 32Mb RAM, USB multi-hub thing, Wi-Fi mini-dongle, micro SD card, generic USB keyboard. Anything else I should consider, without going overboard?

Copper heatsink.

128MB RAM.

Hardly overboard, but why compromise? Get it set up the once and forget about it forever.

• 2 weeks later...

The new downloader now supports filters, something that was stopping me from using it on my Misters as I basically don't want a load of cores I'll never use cluttering things up on me.

You put the file in 

Mine looks like this: 

[mister]
filter ="filters cheats arcade-cores NES SNES GBA Gameboy TurboGrafx16 MasterSystem Genesis SegaCd NeoGeo MemTest !alternatives"

On 27/01/2022 at 10:03, Colonel Panic said:

The new downloader now supports filters, something that was stopping me from using it on my Misters as I basically don't want a load of cores I'll never use cluttering things up on me.

You put the file in 

Mine looks like this: 

[mister]
filter ="filters cheats arcade-cores NES SNES GBA Gameboy TurboGrafx16 MasterSystem Genesis SegaCd NeoGeo MemTest !alternatives"

giphy.gif

Looks like MisterAddons is teasing a new I/O board that will allow analogue video and enough RAM for Saturn and PSX, when they're finished.

I hope he gets his UK distribution sorted soon, he's mentioned it a few times.

My impression from what I've been reading is that the extra RAM won't actually be needed for either core.  I wouldn't be surprised if the extra RAM might even end up not being needed at all after a few revisions/tweaks of the initial release.

I know MiSTer is all about hardware accuracy though so perhaps I'm wrong and perhaps it will be needed to get as close to 100% as possible?

From what I've read in passing, PSX may have less accurate sound with a single RAM module but this may not be perceptible for a lot of users. Perhaps dual RAM would be needed to pass MDfourier analysis? Big caveat being that both cores might be subject to further optimisations, of course.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I haven’t tried them as I’m using a CRT, but there’s a new presets option for video filters to reduce the amount of messing around with filters and shadow masks!

Thank god. I like the feature but it got far too complicated very quickly. Hopefully there are some subtle presets in there now.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Have the GB/A cores been updated to use these? They hadn’t last time I checked and I don’t want to update_all before I know for sure.

The load preset options are in the GB and GBA core menus, my current setup means I'm not going to test them for you.

12 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

The load preset options are in the GB and GBA core menus, my current setup means I'm not going to test them for you.

Cool, ta. I’ll perhaps give them a go and report back. I presume that the presets are downloaded during an update?

9 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Cool, ta. I’ll perhaps give them a go and report back. I presume that the presets are downloaded during an update?

Yeah, I have a custom downloader.ini so I needed to add "presets" to the filter list.

This could probably have its own thread but it's definitely relevant to MiSTer. The prospect of being able to maintain all of my games on one storage device and serve them to MiSTer, PS2 and Saturn and Dreamcast (via MODE) is very tempting.

5 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

From what I've read in passing, PSX may have less accurate sound with a single RAM module but this may not be perceptible for a lot of users. Perhaps dual RAM would be needed to pass MDfourier analysis? Big caveat being that both cores might be subject to further optimisations, of course.

Speaking of which, there's a test build up on the MiSTer discord that is almost complete. He just added CDXA sound to the existing SPU sound, and only CDDA sound remains to be implemented - plus some bug fixing. Runs perfectly on one SDRAM, I just played through the start of SOTN and it looks perfect!

The new presets are... not good. Far too aggressive in most cases I've tried. I'd worried about this a bit after seeing some of the images on Discord- everything I've tried so far uses really heavy scanlines and overdoes the softness, or the effect is barely perceptible. Virtually no subtlety at all. The old shadowmask system was better.

Edit: the GB/GBA ones are nice. Particularly when using the dot matrix preset with the SameBoy palette on GB. SNES looks like a mess though.

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I wish I hadn't read this. Its the knowing that something could be better that always gets me.

Finally gave in and put in a preorder for a DE10 via Mouser. They are getting expensive, and more and more "mainstream", can only see them remaining expensive.

I'm going to do a custom layout rather than the stack I think.