IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Just don’t go loading it all up with all the roms. 

Roger that! I’m thinking a select few for each console. I’m really looking forward to getting the Amiga and Atari st running as well as the 486 core. We always had a pc growing up but loads of friends had amigas and a few STs and always really wanted them. I may even try to get some midi running out of Cubase for the ST. Good times ahoy! 

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Over HDMI you can rotate them, over analogue out, you need to rotate your TV.

Will they be able to implement rotate over RGB? Been a while since I’ve messed about with alt cores on the Next but IIRC rotate was implemented for some of those over RGB.

The way Mister works at present, I don't think so, but I'm sure it's technically possible with changes to the frameworks that cores use to interface with video output. The analogue signal that gets output is generated by the core, and the HDMI interface using the same signal while taking care of the rotation and scaling via a frame buffer.

A core would need to do something with its video output that original hardware didn't do so I think from a design point of view the guy behind the whole project would freak out a bit!

BTW, I’ve prepared my Micro SD card using Mr Fusion and Apple PiBaker using the guide here, in preparation for eventually receiving a DE-10. This part of the process wasn’t much more complicated than ripping CDs for transferring music to my iPhone. :) 

Edited by Protocol Penguin

DE-10. 

Sorry but that's started to bug me for no reason. DEC-10 is a completely different machine and an extra superfluous character to type. 

Anyhoo, you want the update_all or whatever the latest super script is now and drop that in the scripts folder.

47 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

The latest Mr Fusion puts update_all in the scripts folder for you so you can boot the DE-10 with the card, connect Ethernet and run the script!

That's got a lot easier in the last couple of years!

19 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Goddamn when is that coming out of beta!?

Not sure, it’s only just been made available to Patreons. There’s still some issues with it apparently. I didn’t spot any whilst playing the first few levels.

4 minutes ago, Peter St John said:

*complains bitterly that nobody seems to be working on Rainbow Islands, dammit*

Just have to make do with the Amiga version until someone does. Or the PC Engine one I guess.

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

BTW, I’ve prepared my Micro SD card using Mr Fusion and Apple PiBaker using the guide here, in preparation for eventually receiving a DE-10. This part of the process wasn’t much more complicated than ripping CDs for transferring music to my iPhone. :) 

Absolute piece of piss. Like others are saying make sure you're prepping the latest update_all.

Once you set up the only necessary tinker you need to do after that is to run the USB polling script (to give the board a 1ms ping) and to make sure you're on the HDMI vsync_adjust=2 setting for practically zero latency (well, four lines). 

1 hour ago, Swainy said:

Not sure, it’s only just been made available to Patreons. There’s still some issues with it apparently. I didn’t spot any whilst playing the first few levels.

Yeah, mixing it up with Dragon Ninja and Fantasy Zone. I just have no patience.

@spanky debrestI can understand where you're coming from. Similar to you, I've had a MiSTer since mid to late 2018 and have witnessed some incredibly talented coders provide us with what we see today .... an incredible retro machine that caters to just about anything that we could ever wish for. I've been here since the start of this thread, even acting as the "Unofficial RLLMUK MiSTer Tech Support" a lot of the time. However, In the last few months I've just been feeling a bit burnt out with it all. Don't get me wrong, I m still looking forward to the PS1 + Saturn cores. But I have my Saturn & Mode so it's not like I'm eagerly awaiting a release of this core to play games that I can already play, and I have other means on which to play PS1 games as well. I've pretty much abandoned modern gaming platforms (still have a Switch which I occassionally play). I get in from work, look at the machine & don't even bother to power it on at the moment, it's almsot as if I have no energy to play the MiSter, and no desire to play any games at all really at the moment.

One of the issues I find with the MiSTer is it's almost become "too much of a good thing"! Think back to when we were kids & what you would have done to have only a tiny proportion of what this machine represents. Although not really an issue for me because I haven't fully loaded a SD card with roms, but I find it's a hard choice as to what "machine" the MiSTer becomes on any given night when I do decide to power it on. I look through the list of cores, decide that I then don't fancy playing any of it then proceed to turn it off and go do something else.  I'm also going through a phase where I'm not enjoying my games at the moment. You may also have noticed I've been a bit quiet on here recently. This has to be one of the longest spells where I've barely done anything related to the MiSTer, I haven't updated it since at least the start of December.

For me, I think it good just to step away from it for a while and concentrate on something else. For me, it's been focusing on music, playing the piano & getting back into playing the organ again ......... no innuendos please, I've heard them all before!😁

Spoiler

If you must post an innuendo, make sure it's good! Cue the music to Gyruss ....

No doubt something will happen that will bring me back to the MiSTer soon.er or later. But in the meantime I am taking a bit of an extended break from it. I will keep popping in though to see if any help is needed. But as things are so settled now with ease of use & with a load of experienced users around, this thread is in good hands with the other long-time thread contributors.

I think that we all go through periods of not being in the mood for gaming. 

I think the reason that I don’t go through that so much is that my games room is at the end of my garden and other things in life prevent me from getting down there too much or as much as I’d like.

At the moment as part of a future episode of Retro Asylum, we are playing a game each that we never did finish back in the day. So I’m just concentrating on one game for one system.

Same here, all my stuff was mostly untouched in a room in my garden due to having a kid. Only now am I getting to use it again!

Which is nice, because I love my MiSTerCade. Printed a mount for it to stop putting strain on the overhanging PCB at the JAMMA edge. 

Apparently MisterAddons is releasing some additional PCBs to take care of it and add functionality. 

88237A1A-6693-4E56-A8CB-745E27C9EE9A.thumb.jpeg.c969688fbb082e54c4cc30f8c20d4d1e.jpeg

I was 3D printing test parts for my consolised attempt earlier, bloody handy machines when your trying things like this!

I've stopped tallying the costs of consolising it now, it was about £100 (£55 case, £45 components) but it's probably heading towards £150 (I might be able to recoup £30 of that. More than I wanted to spend initially but it's surprising how cramped it gets when you're trying to cram a power supply and port extenders into a case. In the end i've got Nat @ misterfpga to supply a USB hub without USB connectors so I can solder in some JST connectors instead (I could modify my existing board but i'd rather have a backup in case anything goes wrong).

Does anyone have a 'spare' Pi Zero W 2? I'd love to get MT32pi installed along with the rest of the components but don't fancy paying £30+ for one, not that it will have a significant impact on the overall budget :lol: 

Anyone want rid of a DE10 nano? I can’t believe I’m writing this, but mine’s been nicked by DHL. I just want a board, so if anyone’s done with theirs then please let me know. I’ve been waiting for 2 months in limbo on this and it turns out DH: have delivered it to themselves.

Not having much luck with MiSTer but I want to get back into it.

9 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

So, I’ve got the DE10 Nano ordered, and already have: IO board, acrylic case, 32Mb RAM, USB multi-hub thing, Wi-Fi mini-dongle, micro SD card, generic USB keyboard. Anything else I should consider, without going overboard?

You have controllers?