IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

4 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Sorg has doubled shadow mask resolution from 8x8 maximum to 16x16. Should allow for more finely detailed masks on high resolution displays- can't wait to see what the community comes up with now.

That's absolutely fucking sick. Can't wait.

This is more the reason to sort an OLED TV out for downstairs along with a second MiSTer build.

1 hour ago, merman said:

This thread is tempting me...

Go for it. Last night I was playing Children of the Atom on CPS2 before seamlessly switching over to the SNES core to fiddle with shadowmask settings and check out Gon after watching the SNESdrunk video about it. Then I switched over to the MD core because my wife was curious about Ristar. I didn't even have to leave the sofa.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Go for it. Last night I was playing Children of the Atom on CPS2 before seamlessly switching over to the SNES core to fiddle with shadowmask settings and check out Gon after watching the SNESdrunk video about it. Then I switched over to the MD core because my wife was curious about Ristar. I didn't even have to leave the sofa.

I was persuaded to backorder a DEC board from Mouser, and already have a case and some other bits. I’m hyped. If it works just a fraction as well as I’ve been lead to believe, it’ll be worth the time and money.

7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I was persuaded to backorder a DEC board from Mouser, and already have a case and some other bits. I’m hyped. If it works just a fraction as well as I’ve been lead to believe, it’ll be worth the time and money.

I'm very, very happy with it. It's definitely a hobbyist piece of equipment when compared with consoles like the Super Nt but it's still easy to use, just much more configurable. I've boxed my Nt Mini, Super Nt and Mega Sg up since I got the MiSTer set up. No complaints so far, although I'm still waiting for those bloody aluminium cases to go back on sale!

Edit: just tried some remote management via SSH for the first time. My Linux knowledge is almost zero but copying files over the network is such a breeze compared with having to fiddle with the microSD card! Trying out the Wonderswan core now and Klonoa looks gorgeous on the big screen.

22 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

Well, I placed an order at digikey at the beginning of the month and it was shipped today so... woohoo!  Now I guess I need to order some of the other gubbins.  Is misterfpga.co.uk a good shout for boards etc?

Can’t recommend them highly enough! They provide a great service.

1 hour ago, Bangaio said:

Well, I placed an order at digikey at the beginning of the month and it was shipped today so... woohoo!  Now I guess I need to order some of the other gubbins.  Is misterfpga.co.uk a good shout for boards etc?

They’re great. Really good quality assembly of their boards.

13 hours ago, Bangaio said:

Yeah, I also hugely recommend them. I had a problem with one of their boards after about six months and they were responding to my emails on (I think it was) a Saturday night then replaced it no questions asked. They do good stuff and they're trustworthy.

4 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Okay I'm interested in doing this, but I'm feeling a bit thick. So can I build tis myself if I buy all the bits or is it better to get someone else to put it together? 

It's not super difficult, and with advice from people around here I'm sure you'll be able to do it. My main problem when I made one was getting a case that fit and I think a lot more places offer them in the right dimensions now.

Don't know if anyone is following the PSX core development, but it's coming along really nicely. It's pretty stable now and will play about 90% of the games I've tried without errors. It has analogue support and memory card support, and a bunch of other options, including setting bios regions. About the only major thing that it's missing currently is sound, but Robert Peip seems confident it can be done on the one SDRAM card.

It moves pretty quickly, and you currently need the latest unstable MiSTer main and the current Test Build of the PSX core. Both of which can be grabbed from the Discord. Don't even need to be a Patron.

2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

My 8bitdo M30 arrived this week, which I’m really pleased with. However, when plugging the dongle in, I’ve noticed that the rear port (by the barrel power socket) of my USB board doesn’t work - is this the same for anyone else? 

That port is power only, the other 7 are normal.

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

Okay I'm interested in doing this, but I'm feeling a bit thick. So can I build tis myself if I buy all the bits or is it better to get someone else to put it together? 

Think of it as a raspberry pi plus. Plug in ram board in the gpio and a add usb otg hub and you’re good to go. It’s really nowhere near as difficult as it seems. 

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

Buy all the bits and DIY. Like building your own PC, you'll have a better understanding of your system and none of the fear if you need to pull it apart to add/remove anything in future- but it's infinitely simpler than building a PC, of course!

Reposting the link with the video I initially followed. I put my MiSTer together on the kitchen bench after my wife started her yoga class and had it running before her class finished. It was really easy:

10 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Buy all the bits and DIY. Like building your own PC, you'll have a better understanding of your system and none of the fear if you need to pull it apart to add/remove anything in future- but it's infinitely simpler than building a PC, of course!

Reposting the link with the video I initially followed. I put my MiSTer together on the kitchen bench after my wife started her yoga class and had it running before her class finished. It was really easy:

Cheers. Whilst I'm not expert I've been building my own PCs since the mid 90s. MISTer looks like a piece of cake in comparison, it's just about buying the right bits. Will definitely start picking bits up in the new year. 

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Cheers. Whilst I'm not expert I've been building my own PCs since the mid 90s. MISTer looks like a piece of cake in comparison, it's just about buying the right bits. Will definitely start picking bits up in the new year. 

1. DE10 nano (also a shaver adapter for the stock psu - it has us prongs)

2. 128 MB SDRAM (you can get away with 32MB like I do but if you’re buying go for the biggie)

3. Usb otg hub (or hub board from same chap who will sell you the ram - misterfpga.co.uk)

Then you have the optional stuff

4. heat sink (technically the board will run fine without it but it’ll give you a little more thermal headroom).

5. digital or analogue io board (dependant on what video output you want - analogue board does vga/rgb, digital board if you don’t want that but want the buttons. Both boards have a fan header and mount)

6. Better psu (the supplied model is rated for 2A, if you want to use a load of usb devices the recommended one is a 4A meanwell)

7. A case! Depends if you have little fingers around that like to poke things.