IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

10 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

I just assumed the DE-10 itself had wifi built in.  That could be why it didn’t work :)   Jonnyalpha is right, you need Bluetooth dongles as well.  I setup a 2.4ghz 8bitdo M30 controller and had very quick go on Ghouls ’n’ Ghosts and I’m really impressed so far.  It feels a lot snappier and lag free compared to my Retropie and the shadow masks look really good.  

Yeah, it does make a difference. For me, Retropie and emulation handhelds are like mp3 players. Great handy things for a quick play. MiSTer is the expensive hifi. Not as convenient, but the fidelity is hugely better.

2 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Yeah, it does make a difference. For me, Retropie and emulation handhelds are like mp3 players. Great handy things for a quick play. MiSTer is the expensive hifi. Not as convenient, but the fidelity is hugely better.

Great analogy. Although, for anyone who's on the fence and currently reading, I'd drop the "not as convenient" bit. Once the initial setup is complete there's no need to mess around with various emulation settings once you inevitably catch anything skipping frames or lagging here and there, as you would with emulation.

/pedant.

15 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

That would be too easy. teh lag!!!

anyhoos, do you have the Saturn diy board working? I could never get that working right over usb with my mister. Fine with windows though. 

Yeah, it works fine. All through bluetooth though. I can pair my nes, snes, saturn and ps1 controllers to any 8bitdo dongle. I mostly use them on the matching hardware (apart from the saturn controllers, which I use on the megadrive). I didn't think the diy controllers were supposed to even work wired? I'm pretty sure the instructions say as much.

46 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Great analogy. Although, for anyone who's on the fence and currently reading, I'd drop the "not as convenient" bit. Once the initial setup is complete there's no need to mess around with various emulation settings once you inevitably catch anything skipping frames or lagging here and there, as you would with emulation.

/pedant.

Yeah, I agree. I can imagine setting up a retro pie is about the same level of fiddling. I also love the lack of options. With software emulation, I feel like I'm always fiddling to get the best performance while still looking good etc. etc.

On 02/12/2021 at 23:13, Protocol Penguin said:

I’d been trying to get one since September to no avail, sort of given up on the whole idea now, TBH. 

If you still decide to get one I’m happy to help you out.  I only set mine up yesterday and it was very easy.  Using the Mr Fusion SD card image and the update_all script makes it a piece of cake.  I had everything built and connected up in less than an hour.  Then I just left it while the update_all script did its stuff.  Not sure I need all the alternative versions, but the fact it pulls the arcade roms is excellent. 

Work ongoing on casing my Mister, bought most of the components now, just trying to decide on what buttons to use (quite fancy some keyboard keys for the 3 buttons but not sure yet). Wanted an inbuilt power supply to make it more portable (so it just uses a standard IEC cable, would have preferred a figure 8 but it's a metal case...) and I can use a smart relay along with an ESP8266 on the normal mister buttons so I can program it all into my Logitech Harmony. Decided to go with DB9 sockets on the front for flexibility as it's easy enough to wire them for virtually anything, either USB or using SNAC adapter. Need a few more ports on the rear and a couple of the port extensions i've bought are far too 'stiff' to work in the cramped case, so need to do something about that. Not looking forward to soldering all the USB headers!

Gone for a 5A supply as I think I could get a mt32pi in here in the future if I wanted.

IMG_5435.thumb.JPEG.d5fadcbacb0c8ab65c83ea31f0eb2f67.JPEG         

If anyone has any ideas/recommendations for a power button and the 3 mister buttons to fit the styling i'm all ears!        

1 hour ago, Mr Monday said:

Which shadow masks can people recommend?  There’s a few folders worth provided in the update all script but a lot of them are too intrusive for my tastes.  I’m looking for some nice scanlines with a bit of glow.  

I’ve only tried it on the SNES core. Retro Future RGB Bright with 1x rotated selected and SNES scan lines soft. Looked pretty good.

18 minutes ago, Swainy said:

I’ve only tried it on the SNES core. Retro Future RGB Bright with 1x rotated selected and SNES scan lines soft. Looked pretty good.

Thanks I’ll give it a go.  I setup the samba share this morning and transferred loads of roms onto it.  I don’t have any Neo Geo yet but have the other consoles covered.  

2 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

Which shadow masks can people recommend?  There’s a few folders worth provided in the update all script but a lot of them are too intrusive for my tastes.  I’m looking for some nice scanlines with a bit of glow.  

Best one I've seen so far is from this thread (first post):

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3751

I used the Comp Blend H 50 filter, and didn't bother with Gamma. Gives a lovely, understated and not too blurred effect.

Apologies for the crappy photo but I’ve never played in tate mode at home and got excited.  I found a vga cable in a drawer and now have dual output over hdmi and vga.  It’s easy to rotate my 2007 vintage Dell monitor I bought from eBay for £30 so gave it a quick blast.

Are there any other games I should try out in vertical mode?  There must be a fair few shoot-em-ups.

9113D6D4-AF14-48F2-B41E-93BC5168A135.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

Apologies for the crappy photo but I’ve never played in tate mode at home and got excited.  I found a vga cable in a drawer and now have dual output over hdmi and vga.  It’s easy to rotate my 2007 vintage Dell monitor I bought from eBay for £30 so gave it a quick blast.

Are there any other games I should try out in vertical mode?  There must be a fair few shoot-em-ups.

Bombjack!