IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

4 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

I'm getting quite excited for the Playstation core. Robert Peip released a test build for Patreons yesterday that apparently works great - no sound, currently, and requires a second RAM module for CD loading, but gameplay is mostly there (with bugs).

He reckons 75% chance that he'll be able to get it in a single RAM module - the only thing that might require a second is the sound, since CD loading will be offloaded to the MiSTer on board RAM. He also reckons we'll know by the end of the year!

A 2nd RAM module as in the 128MB one, with the two chips or literally even more?

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

A 2nd RAM module as in the 128MB one, with the two chips or literally even more?

A 2nd RAM module as in a completely separate RAM module. In this case, plugged into the GPIO pins that the analogue IO board currently uses. This obviously causes issues, since it means you can't use the analogue IO board with it. The issue is not one of amount of RAM available, but of contention for accessing the RAM. The single set of GPIO pins can't retrieve and write data fast enough to keep up with the demands of the PS1 (possibly, he seems pretty confident it may be able to work with 1 module).

40 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yep. It’s a bandwidth rather than a quantity issue. I’m probably going to get a second 32mb for it if needed. 

Me too. I'd probably devote my second MiSTer to PS1/Saturn stuff. Not sure whether I'd get the digital IO board as well though... I do use the second SD card and it's a useful place to mount the fan. Oh, and the buttons are useful.

I don’t have the analogue io board but I’d lose access to my menu button which is wired to gpio pins. I’m hoping for another button option to appear before a second sdram is needed. 

edit: the digital io board will give me a button header but there’s no simple wiring up without it. 

I don't really fancy dropping any money just yet on another sdram module that might not be needed, I'll be holding back & waiting to see if both Robert & srg320 manage to get their respective PS1 / Saturn cores running with the existing single 128mb sdram board. I know it's tempting to go and buy the additional sdram now & getting prepped for these two cores but I would suggest not rushing into buying more ram just yet. Don't forget that these cores are still a long way from being ready for a public release.

I still have my original launch PS1 console in the back of a cupboard along with a few games, and one of my Saturn's equipped with a Mode is currently under the TV so from a personal perspective I'm happy to wait to see how these cores evolve.

The work being done on the PS1 core is just incredible, now booting CD images on one sdram board.

Also, shadow masks are now officially included in the Snes, Nes, PC Engine, Neo Geo, Mega Drive & Mega CD cores. Run your updaters. Once you've done that download the shadow mask filters from here and place them in a folder named "Shadow_Masks" on your SD card.

Can confirm that the PS1 patreon core works!

image.png.98cc1faee59c273ac152fcf721c4992a.png

It's a bit fiddly to get going and I only tried it with two games (Ridge Racer and Tomb Raider). RR worked fine, played seemingly at full speed or close to it, didn't spot any glitches. TR got through the menus, but black screened on load. At the moment, it only seems to load ISOs or BINs, not CHDs (as the MegaCD and PCE cores do), but I'm sure that'll come in time. And, obviously, no sound as yet.

The guy is a legend!

Also tried the shadow masks... does anyone have any preferred settings for masks and scanlines? 

17 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

"Off" :D

Sorry, not helpful but I couldn't resist!

If the shadow mask filters are like those on the RetroTink5x, are there even settings to apply to them?

I normally swing between liking and not liking scanlines. I enable them, think they're the best thing ever, then decide I much prefer chunky pixels as god intended, then decide to expirment with them again... etc etc.

In this case, it's not so much settings as which one to pick, and which filter file to apply it with.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

"Off" :D

Sorry, not helpful but I couldn't resist!

If the shadow mask filters are like those on the RetroTink5x, are there even settings to apply to them?

Rotation and a 2x scale. The default set is a bit lacklustre but it's good to see so many alternative options already, especially as they'll also be used for the OSSC Pro.

The race hots up...

Laxer3A, you'll remember is the dev who had been working on the PS1 core with another dev, only to run into a conflict of personalities and halt work a few months ago. I believe this was the instigating incident that caused Robert Peip to start development on his own core.

Anyway, Laxer3A emerged yesterday to announce his core was dev complete. The caveat is that it runs on its own framework - still on the DE10, just not in the MiSTer framework. Presumably, it would boot off its own SDCard, have a different interface, etc.

Interestingly. Laxer3A claims to have sound working off a single SDRAM module, which is hopeful.

I've not yet seen any reports of how or if it runs yet. In fact, very little chatter about it at all.

Be interesting to see how it all turns out!

2 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Looks like they'd be happy to see it on MiSTer, just somebody has to port it, or they might do it themselves if they get the time. Looks like PS is almost guaranteed at this point.

I'm so glad I got one of these things

And I’m so annoyed the de10 is out of stock everywhere. Cack!

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

They’re restocked in huge numbers frequently. Just put an order in if you can.

The MiSTer forums have a thread about how the retail price of the De10 is about to go up to $208. I paid about $180 ex-vat a few months ago, so that's a significant hike.

Are they putting the prices up again? I can't say I can blame them, really. Isn't the hardware sold at a big loss in order for people to learn with it? 😅

Maybe they should do an Adobe and offer the original discounted RRP for students/schools, while charging all us gamers a premium. I'd love to see the student vs. gamer numbers.