IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

On 23/10/2021 at 22:16, shiffy said:

It's been in development for a long time, I always jokingly say " in abandonment"! It's a port of a core originally created by Torlus with the MiSTer port done by ElectronAsh. ElectronAsh seems to have his fingers in many pies but tends to jump from project to project. Now that Rysha in on the case we might see some improvements, but I wouldn't hold your breath on this core being in a useable state any time soon.

I'll have a look at the new test core in the next couple of days and see if there's any improvement over the early 2020 version I currently have.

I've just fired this up and tried a couple of games. I've not tried to prior version but...

Tempest 2000 - menu seemed slow but the game itself played really well. Unfortunately it crashed out after a couple minutes. mouse crashes it.

AVP - crashed after menu

Zool 2- playable but slow

Super burnout - doesn't load.

Not there yet but shows promise if it continues to be worked on. I only really care about tempest 2000 tbh, if this was stable and I could use my spinner on it I'd be a very happy boy!

I gave that jaguar core a quick blast myself out of curiosity.

Flashback: Quest for identity - seemed to work quite well however there as no sound.

NBA Jam - kinda worked with broken sound and some weird lines across the screen.

Iron Soldier - worked great in the menus with sound but crashed after that.

Think I tried a few others that just didn't work at all.

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

With the Saturn core on the way, I was wondering what I would play Sega Rally and NiGHTS with, then remembered this detachable cable! Would be impressive...

there's already a guy working hard at this.. albeit for the Saturn itself rather than MiSTer.

image.thumb.png.bcd6a92e6853da7d72024f2d000f6b47.png

So continuing to work on my Saturn 3D controller wireless adapter.

Got the Arduino Nano talking to the controller and looks much neater than the larger Uno I was using before.

Next up, adding a battery and getting the Bluetooth to talk to my Brook Wingman adapter for the Saturn.

That’s very cool indeed. I’d be half tempted to crack mine open and fiddle, but I would probably break it and would rather wait for something to come to market.

Wireless is cool, but I’m mostly interested in straight USB. If it’s wireless, then a dongle might work with MiSTer I guess. I like the low-lag of wired for older stuff especially.

22 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

The MiSTer project just gets more and more exciting. If the Saturn core comes through it'll be a very big day for me, what a library that thing has.

It’s already first class, if a decent Saturn or PlayStation core is ever released, it would be the perfect device.

or super scalar arcades 

@TomdominerThe option should be visibe when opening the main menu (see image). These updated cores should be coming down with Update_All.

I'm not going to take another photo because I'm hopless when it comes to filming / taking photos / general camera work, but you can see from the text & the G&G logo behind the menu that these shadowmask filters look very nice.

G+G-shadowmask.jpg

I'm certain that these will be made available for other cores in due course. I'm under the impression that Sorg isn't too keen on the idea of these but is at least willling to add them added to the official cores. The SNES, Mega Drive & Neo Geo all have test builds where these have been enabled. These shadowmasks are baked into the core itself so we'll just have to wait for Sorg to add these officially once Soltan_G42 is happy with them. I think the reason why they're already in Jotego's cores is because Atrac17 (the guy who does the custom modelines) has picked up on these shadowmasks & has ran with it.

2 hours ago, shiffy said:

@TomdominerThe option should be visibe when opening the main menu (see image). These updated cores should be coming down with Update_All.

I'm not going to take another photo because I'm hopless when it comes to filming / taking photos / general camera work, but you can see from the text & the G&G logo behind the menu that these shadowmask filters look very nice.

G+G-shadowmask.jpg

So, if that's true, and I've run update all and am not getting it, can I assume something has gone wrong with the update all script?

I'm not aware of any issues with the scripts at the moment. But now that you mention it, I did have an issue getting Cotton yesterday (in that I couldn't find it after running Update_All, even after a manual update I struggled to find where the MRA files for Cotton were located). I know that with this new version of the script the author said to wait about an hour or so after new cores are announced before running the script. As I ran it only 10 minutes after the Cotton announcement it could be that I had jumped the gun too early. From my point of view, it's difficult to know if it was a genuine problem of not. Having said all that, I've been running these Jotego cores with the shadowmask options included for about a week, they definitely got updated by the script last weekend.

All I can suggest for now is to go into the Update_All options, make sure "Jotego Downloader" is enabled. Then go into the Jotego settings and make sure option 3 (install beta cores) is set to true, although that second option isn't going to make a difference here. The thing is that nearly all of Jotego's cores have had the shadowmask treatment, whether they're public or beta. The only exception I've found so far is Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja.

I just ran the update_all script on one of my MiSTers and it pulled down the shadow mask updates to Jotego's cores. I didn't do anything special, I just have normal and beta cores turned on in the Jotego update section. Confirmed working on both Ghouls and Ghosts and Forgotten Worlds.

Thank you.

Yeah, I did add a test folder to try the shadow mask console cores and also was in jotegos patreon, so had some beta cores, so might have cocked it all up because of that. I've tried again and it still doesn't work. I've even deleted the _arcade & _console folders using the script, and re-downloaded everything and I still don't have the new options.

It also seems to retain my individual rom settings even after deleting the _arcade folder, so I am wondering maybe if its related to some sort of mame settings file. Does anyone know where they are stored?

EDIT: Found the config folders, clearing those also didn't work. 😕

GBA F-Zero (Maximum Velocity. The first one, although I play the JP version) is burning the flickering mini maps into both of the video lines, this then persists across cores, even after a cold reboot. It takes several core boots and restarts to get rid of it.

Can someone else give it a whirl please to see if it's just me?

3 minutes ago, shiffy said:

@Fallowsis this on a crt or modern flat panel? I was just about to start playing that new F-Zero Climax translation, but I can give the original a go for a while.

Both. I can turn either of the other displays on after testing/rebooting/reloading and the burn-in is right there, too.

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

Both. I can turn either of the other displays on after testing/rebooting/reloading and the burn-in is right there, too.

Having just played through two cups using the Japanese version I can't say I'm seeing any issues with my setup. Very strange.

Apologies for the crap video, but it's not showing the issue you've described.

31 minutes ago, shiffy said:

Having just played through two cups using the Japanese version I can't say I'm seeing any issues with my setup. Very strange.

Apologies for the crap video, but it's not showing the issue you've described.

Will make a video later! My desk is a tip...

Thanks so much for trying mate.

7 hours ago, Fallows said:

GBA F-Zero (Maximum Velocity. The first one, although I play the JP version) is burning the flickering mini maps into both of the video lines, this then persists across cores, even after a cold reboot. It takes several core boots and restarts to get rid of it.

Can someone else give it a whirl please to see if it's just me?

I tried the English version of Maximum Velocity then went into Final Fight One, didn't do it for me. I'm on the latest update if that helps.