MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

6 hours ago, roobarb said:

Clever :slowclap:

Love the proper old school look!

Is it a VGA switcher with multiple VGA-scart cables then?

I was thinking of using a separate hdmi-vga-scart for verts but a scart switch box would be easier/cheaper/better I think..

I have a VGA lead running from the MiSTer into the switch box, then from the switch box I have 2 Spectrum Next Scart leads running into the CRT TV’s and another VGA lead going from the switch box to the PC monitor. Then obviously a HDMI lead running into a modern display.

On 12/10/2021 at 05:04, Swainy said:

I have a VGA lead running from the MiSTer into the switch box, then from the switch box I have 2 Spectrum Next Scart leads running into the CRT TV’s and another VGA lead going from the switch box to the PC monitor. Then obviously a HDMI lead running into a modern display.

Do you lose any image quality through a switch box? I thought about using a simple VGA y splitter cable with 2 spectrum next leads but the splitters I've seen have some pretty bad reviews.

49 minutes ago, roobarb said:

Do you lose any image quality through a switch box? I thought about using a simple VGA y splitter cable with 2 spectrum next leads but the splitters I've seen have some pretty bad reviews.

None at all. I’m a stickler for picture quality.

Here is the one that I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-4-Port-VGA-Switch-4-way-VGA-Manual-switching-4-into-1-15-Pin-Video-/384104682786?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

6 minutes ago, watusi said:

is there a handy guide for x68000 setup? I know it needs a secondary SD card setting up but that about it!

I'd be interested, too. I want to play Cho Ren Sha but the whole setup seems a right pain rn.

46 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Excited by how well Akumajou Dracula and Mad Stalker are running here:

I never expected the MiSTer to lay so many nagging "I wish I could own [x system]" longings to rest, but it's doing so at an alarming rate.

Indeed. Only the N64 remains.

I know plenty of people want the Saturn, but for me that’s now covered with the amazing/superior PS2 and XBLA ports. Plus, my 90s Saturn was basically a NeoGeo and CPS-II emulator most of the time anyway. I can’t think of a single Saturn game I’m missing out on.

@Klatrymadon@watusi@Spoonman@Fallows

If you want a hand with the X68000 setup then let me know as I'm all set up with it, and have been for the best part of 18 months or so. I'll warn you now though that Cho Ren Sha doesn't work properly with the latest beta build, and neither do most of the Capcom games.  All these games appear to have a sprite layer missing with the current build but do work with one of Puu's previous builds. Also, the Konami shooters also have issues & crash a level or two into the game. Akumajou Dracula and Mad Stalker are great to play though, & I've discovered a few shooters that I've never heard of before that run great.

Some of you might be aware of this, but I have to admit that this has flown completely under the radar as far as I'm concerned. I have just learnt of a "Raizing Core" that will support Armed Police Batrider, Battle Garegga & Battle Bakraid. Very excited to learn about this, I'll be following this one as Garegga is one of my fave shooters!

Amazing! I really hope this core syncs well on my CRT - still baffled by the Cave cores not working, because loads of games with much iffier refresh rates work fine! Batrider and Bakraid have never been ported, so this will be the closest anyone without the means to collect PCBs will come to the real thing.

Just a cheap 14" Aiwa telly/VHS combo. Most games look amazing on it, but this one MiSTer core just doesn't like it. The display rolls diagonally, like a badly tuned TV channel or something. No other cores have this issue, despite plenty of them running at daft refresh rates etc. I've tried a few different ini settings but none of them influenced the rolling.

Edit: it's this model.

Ordered my DE10-NANO. 

I want to get setup minimal at first to play only Mega Drive games. What do I need? I have nothing so far. 

After that I'll add little by little as I try other cores. 

8 hours ago, matt! said:

Ordered my DE10-NANO. 

I want to get setup minimal at first to play only Mega Drive games. What do I need? I have nothing so far. 

After that I'll add little by little as I try other cores. 

you need an sd card, to future proof yourself get 256g at £30. 

good enough, 128g at £15

and some way of plugging in usb pad/ keyboard

the pre-built hubs are great and a wise investment, £32

In-line switch £5

heat sink £3

heat sink, fan and top plate £11

add memory at first opportunity 

32mb = £20

128mb = £50

things that are nice

Bluetooth £7

wifi £7

I’ve removed my inline switch. I think it was causing voltage drops. 

any micro usb otg hub and a sdram board is the bare minimum. 32mb will get you started (that’s all I have) though you will want 128 at some point (I do). 

I also recommend a fan or heat sink for the main chip. Some folks run them naked but the consensus is to keep it a bit cooler. 

I get my stuff from misterfpga.co.uk. I have a 5% off code somewhere…

esit: PGMA6F3

2 hours ago, ulala said:

you need

Thanks.

That seems a lot?

I'm going for bare minimum right now, as I intend to buy one of the many all-in-one solutions soon. 

Basically I just want to test the setup with MegaDrive before I go all-in-one. I should have said that in my previous post. 

45 minutes ago, matt! said:

Thanks.

That seems a lot?

I'm going for bare minimum right now, as I intend to buy one of the many all-in-one solutions soon. 

Basically I just want to test the setup with MegaDrive before I go all-in-one. I should have said that in my previous post. 

If you are getting a DE10 Nano, you might as well add to that over time instead of buying an all in one solution. 

14 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Just a cheap 14" Aiwa telly/VHS combo. Most games look amazing on it, but this one MiSTer core just doesn't like it. The display rolls diagonally, like a badly tuned TV channel or something. No other cores have this issue, despite plenty of them running at daft refresh rates etc. I've tried a few different ini settings but none of them influenced the rolling.

Edit: it's this model.

Have you tried moving the bridge pin near the VGA output of the IO board?

48 minutes ago, Swainy said:

If you are getting a DE10 Nano, you might as well add to that over time instead of buying an all in one solution. 

I'll consider it. But if there's an all-in-one that suits me I'd rather just get it over and done with and get playing. 

39 minutes ago, matt! said:

I'll consider it. But if there's an all-in-one that suits me I'd rather just get it over and done with and get playing. 

cheaper to do it bit by bit.

38 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't have any affect on the display at all, even after a reboot etc. Thanks though!

Have you tried looking for a different CRT? Locally I’m seeing lots of various 14” CRT’s go pretty cheaply still.