MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

I like it but my retro budget is about to be used up on getting my N64 modded with the PixelFX HDMI mod and my current Mister setup works fine so it would be really extravagant. I still nearly ordered one.

1 hour ago, AceGrace said:

It really just turns it into a console form factor.

I must be in the minority then that likes it. I can't stand the current 3d case iof the MiSTer

Which case are you referring to?

15 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

So, is the RMC just a kinda "all in one" package that means you can just buy that and the nano and be away? 

I can't seem to see anything that really separates it from a standard MiSTer set-up...

That is the point though.

Putting together a "Standard Mister setup" is baffling and generally ends up looking ugly.

This is getting someone to do that for you for no price premium if you're starting from scratch.

If you're not starting from scratch then it's obviously not for you. 

17 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That is the point though.

Putting together a "Standard Mister setup" is baffling and generally ends up looking ugly.

This is getting someone to do that for you for no price premium if you're starting from scratch.

If you're not starting from scratch then it's obviously not for you. 

Thing is, you still have to put this together. Got to admit, apart from the Scart on this automatically syncing to the TV (saves you having to press a button on the TV or remote) I’m having a hard time seeing the plus points of the RMC set up. 

26 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

It combines the digital and analog io boards, usb hub board and 128MB sdram board all into a single pcb. For some that’s worth it. 

See for me the stack version is fine, it fits under my monitor riser and allows me enough space on my desk for my keyboard. 

Personal preference I guess.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Hmm! Putting a standard MiSTer stack together is really easy. Most of the standard MiSTer cases are nicer than the RMC unit too.

So the RMC mister console thing has got me interested in Mister itself. I’ve got a raspberry pi that I purchased to use with a sinden light gun and whilst it works I find the emulators super fiddly. Far far too many options to just get games to run correctly, some games just not running at all and it just feels a faff to do anything. Is Mister much easier to use and plug and play? I really want something that’s just simple to use and just works rather than having to manually set up each games settings. Can the sinden light gun also work on it?

I would say initially having to get it set-up (with the update_all scripts and the like) can be tricky. (I was unlucky and was trying to set mine up while the update_all script itself was broken).

But once the system is set-up and in place, the emulation is super simple, with some minor options for multitap, display filters etc, and just works.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Hmm! Putting a standard MiSTer stack together is really easy. Most of the standard MiSTer cases are nicer than the RMC unit too.

If you know what are the correct 6 things to buy from dodgy looking faceless retailers.

I get it's not for everyone, it's the weird assumption that it's supposed to be.  Like posting on a Dell desktop deal to say "I wouldn't buy that I build my own PC".

14 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

So the RMC mister console thing has got me interested in Mister itself. I’ve got a raspberry pi that I purchased to use with a sinden light gun and whilst it works I find the emulators super fiddly. Far far too many options to just get games to run correctly, some games just not running at all and it just feels a faff to do anything. Is Mister much easier to use and plug and play? I really want something that’s just simple to use and just works rather than having to manually set up each games settings. Can the sinden light gun also work on it?

I doubt it's easier than a Pi but certainly things that run on it should run better (or at least more accurately which might actually not be "better" in some cases) because it's programmable chips being taught to act like the real ones rather than software emulation.

For instance, the Analog SG is also FPGA.  Someone sent me a Game Gear cart that works perfectly but with hilariously corrupted graphics and it behaved exactly the same on that as on their game gear. I suspect an emulation device would just die.

For anyone reading this that’s on the fence difficulty of MiSTer setup is generally grossly over-exaggerated. My boy built mine when he was 3. It looks slick, too.

I’d get one of these if the design and quality of the print appealed to me, which it doesn’t.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If you know what are the correct 6 things to buy from dodgy looking faceless retailers.

Hmm again! That requires absolutely minimal research and pre-built units are also available. Which retailers are you referring to? Nothing dodgy looking about MisterFPGA.co.uk and places like Mouser and all of the decent shops are highlighted by the community.

I get it's not for everyone, it's the weird assumption that it's supposed to be.  Like posting on a Dell desktop deal to say "I wouldn't buy that I build my own PC".

I'm not sure that people are saying that. I find the assertion that putting together a standard MiSTer stack is in any way difficult to be a bit overblown. (And much easier than building a PC!)

The RMC unit serves the need of consolidating a few parts and saving someone a couple of hours of reading but I don't think that it offers much of an advantage beyond that. Great if it appeals to someone who wants to start off with one but I don't think they should feel intimidated by the standard stack.

3 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

The standard 3d printed case with the stacked boards.

Which standard 3D printed case? AFAIK the case that had been adopted as standard is the "Stormtrooper" one and if you go with a standard stack you're obviously not restricted to that one either.

I'm using a clear acrylic case for mine from misterfpga.co.uk. Can't believe I found such a great site amidst all those dodgy sellers! :P  

It does the job, although I needed to file the buttons a little to stop them pressing the user buttons down all the time when everything was tightened up!

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Which standard 3D printed case? AFAIK the case that had been adopted as standard is the "Stormtrooper" one and if you go with a standard stack you're obviously not restricted to that one either.

It was a 3d printed case that I got off ebay from a UK seller.

It doesn't really matter, it's the form factor I don't like. I prefer the RMC case which is why I'm buying it.

2 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

I can’t wait to get mine.  The version of the case without the hole on the top for the scart socket will also have a mount for at 2.5” drive.

24E2BF46-3A2E-4063-AAA0-B663E156E3A0.jpeg

The thing that put me off this version of the case (which I very much prefer, especially with the 2.5in drive bay) was their solution for the SCART cable coming out of the back. Basically, it's an unsheathed standard SCART passed through a hole in the back and fastened in place with the plastic grommet. Which means that the SCART lead can't be removed without dismantling the system, so you'll always have this big thick wire trailing around behind it. It just felt really cheap.

I hope they continue to iterate and find a better solution for this problem

1 hour ago, ulala said:

How is the heat going to escape the case?

There's a fan and vent holes on the side of the case.

At 7:28 there's a demonstration of the temperature of the case using heat sensitive filament. The thumbnail shows it after it's being heated with a hairdryer.

51 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

The thing that put me off this version of the case (which I very much prefer, especially with the 2.5in drive bay) was their solution for the SCART cable coming out of the back. Basically, it's an unsheathed standard SCART passed through a hole in the back and fastened in place with the plastic grommet. Which means that the SCART lead can't be removed without dismantling the system, so you'll always have this big thick wire trailing around behind it. It just felt really cheap.

I hope they continue to iterate and find a better solution for this problem

They do a case variant without the hole. You could buy that and use a D-Sub to SCART cable for RGB instead.

Yeah I’ve ordered the version without the hole as I’ll be using HDMI or VGA.  As @robotattack pointed out - the case includes a fan that can be run at 3.3v or 5v to deal with the heat.  I just have the DE10 at the moment so I guess I’ll also need to buy a heat sink for the cpu.  Not sure tbh.