MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

2 hours ago, shiffy said:

There's no way to change the fan speed unfortunately. I also have a Noctua fan in mine & I wouldn't describe it as silent. In fact, the cheap fan I had initially was quieter than the Noctua. I don't hear it now though as I have the MiSter in a case and located in a cupboard so I don't even see it most of the time, let alone hear it now!

Isn't there a 3.3V/5V jumper on the IO board to control the fan speed? Haven't played with it myself, but misterfpga suggests there is:

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-fpga-io-board-xl-v6-1-with-fan/

17 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

Isn't there a 3.3V/5V jumper on the IO board to control the fan speed? Haven't played with it myself, but misterfpga suggests there is:

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-fpga-io-board-xl-v6-1-with-fan/

That's news to me! I wonder if that explains why the supposedly quieter Noctua fan was louder than my original fan. I originally started off with one of Ricardo's "all in one" i/0 & 32mb sdram combined boards way back. When the 128mb came along I then upgraded to Porkchop's i/o board. Could it be my Noctua is set to 5v? I'm intrigued now, but not really sure if I currently have the energy to investigate, currently chilling with Kim Justice's top 100 arcade games!

Well, I've just taken the lid off the MiSTer to have a look at my i/o board. It's version 6.0 from Porkchop Express / MiSTeraddons in the US. Although I can see where  the jumper headers should be there are no headers on my unit to attach a jumper to. Looks as if my fan is locked to 5v .

I can see on the UK site exactly where the header & jumper is. I'm not going to change my i/o board just for that!

Quick update on my fan voltage setting. Oh the excitement!😁 I have now moved the jumper from 5v to the 3.3v setting and it has indeed made it noticeably quieter. Thanks for the help guys.

I wonder if this is how the dreamcast sounds with the noctua fan mod. 🤔I need to look into that.

Yeah, these seem to be closer to Mike's "PVM" setting than the aperture grille. I don't see why we wouldn't get a plethora of options now that the cat is out of the bag though- expect a lot of cross-device development when the OSSC Pro is released as well, as it can use MiSTer's filters directly from an SD card.

Yes, they're just an option you can either keep off or using the setting that you like the best, there's about 5 different settings if I recall correctly. They've meant to be used in conjunction with the scanline options. I linked the the newer Snes test builds as well as the slightly older MD & Neogeo below. Just create a folder in the root od your MiSTer SD card called "_Test" and put the RBF files in there.
I gather that Sorg isn't too keen on these, but is willing to allow them to become part of the official MiSTer project so it'll just take a little time for the testing to take place on these 3 cores initially before they're then rolled out for the rest of the cores.

SNES

SNES BRIGHTER

NEO GEO

MEGA DRIVE

13 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Can someone explain to an idiot like me, what shadow masking is?

image.gif.ed30bb61f8406082fd1f19f3427832aa.gif

If you have a CRT you can put your eyeballs a few CM away to see what tech is being used. These new masks can be applied over a scanline option and simulate the look of each with more accuracy.

I’m more than happy with the existing scanline options whenever I don’t want to power up the PVM, but why not go further? These will look incredible, especially on a huge OLED.

Yeah, instead of drawing straight black lines for scanlines this goes one step further to simulate the look of a CRT. 

I have a RetroTink5x and I love the new filters, it’s the best looking CRT effect I’ve seen and yeah, similar is coming to MiSTer! 

11 hours ago, Fallows said:

If you have a CRT you can put your eyeballs a few CM away to see what tech is being used. These new masks can be applied over a scanline option and simulate the look of each with more accuracy.

9 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah, instead of drawing straight black lines for scanlines this goes one step further to simulate the look of a CRT. 

I have a RetroTink5x and I love the new filters, it’s the best looking CRT effect I’ve seen and yeah, similar is coming to MiSTer! 

Sounds ace. I suppose this effect will probably not make it to the OSSC then?

I ordered the board and grey case for my existing MiSTer.

Then I ordered a deluxe kit with black case because....... reasons.

Then I ordered a white case for when I want a change.

The 3D printed case is the weakest part of the RMC unit. I understand that injection moulding is very expensive but the variable quality of a print is not something I'd like to entertain for the sort of money this costs. Hopefully a proper aftermarket case appears at some point.

I'm also genuinely surprised by the size of it in that video- it looks much larger than I was thinking.