MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

On 05/09/2021 at 14:48, AceGrace said:

I've got  couple of those Megadrive pads for the MegaSg

The 2.4g dongle fits the megadrive (d9) and it comes with a USB lead for charging, so would assume for the Mister you will be using them wired.

Might be better to get the bluetooth pads with a dongle for the MiSTer.

I couls be wrong though.

The M30 with the USB dongle (MegaDrive Mini) is 2.4GHz. It's lightning quick and gets my seal of approval.

Using the DB9 2.4G variant wirelessly with a Daemonbite adapter or similar yields almost identical results, according to that big Excel doc.

Spent a bit of time (well maybe a lot) adding the smokemonster rom packs onto the SD card but flattening some of the directory structure to make stuff a bit easier to find. I dislike splitting stuff out by letter, especially as you can page up/down using left/right and wanted to put Genres and Multiplayer at the top level. All done now though!

I assume it will get added eventually but it could really do with some playlist functionality, especially cross system playlists. 

Was going to print a case but there are some decent looking ITX cases on Aliexpress so going to go down that route I think.

On 05/09/2021 at 21:11, shiffy said:

Early Sega systems are getting a lot of love at the moment thanks to the work done by BlackWine. Released by Greyrogue is the "Sega System E" core, the work done appears to have been built into the existing Master System Core. This is a public beta so you will have to install the various components manually.

Games working are Fantasy Zone II, Hang On Jnr, Opa Opa, Riddle Of Pythagoras, Slap Shooter, Tetris, Transformer.

This beta won't be for everybody, but everything seems to work fine. The highlight for me has to be Transformer, I don't recall seeing this on the Master System.

Grab the RBF file from here and then get the various MRA files from here. Click on each mra file, then right-click "RAW" and "save link as". If you haven't got one already, create a folder within your main _arcade folder called "Beta" and stick the mra files in there. The RBF file goes into your "cores" folder. After that, just run the update_all script to sync everything up!

I’ve just tried Hang On Junior and although I can add a credit and start the game, I can’t control the bike at all. 

@SwainyI have to admit that I'm just a touch disappointed with the way that Hang On Junior has been implemented. No doubt you've defined your buttons & up, down, left & right controls only to discover that you can only accelerate and brake. By default, the control of the bike has been set to a left analogue stick of the controller (8bitdo Snes Pro pad in my case & presumably an Xbox / PS analogue pad as well). Up on the analogue stick accelerates, down brakes, left is .... etc. What this means is that when cornering you can never be at full acceleration. I can't get past the second checkpoint because I lose too much time through the corners.

The way these controls are set by default with no way of changing them to my knowledge makes the game pretty much unplayable for me,  a bit of a downer if you ask me. Would have been better if the left analogue stick was the steering with the right analogue stick as accelerate & brake. I've never been able to use both sticks on the MiSTer. I'm hoping this will be addressed once the PS core is released.

16 hours ago, shiffy said:

@SwainyI have to admit that I'm just a touch disappointed with the way that Hang On Junior has been implemented. No doubt you've defined your buttons & up, down, left & right controls only to discover that you can only accelerate and brake. By default, the control of the bike has been set to a left analogue stick of the controller (8bitdo Snes Pro pad in my case & presumably an Xbox / PS analogue pad as well). Up on the analogue stick accelerates, down brakes, left is .... etc. What this means is that when cornering you can never be at full acceleration. I can't get past the second checkpoint because I lose too much time through the corners.

The way these controls are set by default with no way of changing them to my knowledge makes the game pretty much unplayable for me,  a bit of a downer if you ask me. Would have been better if the left analogue stick was the steering with the right analogue stick as accelerate & brake. I've never been able to use both sticks on the MiSTer. I'm hoping this will be addressed once the PS core is released.

it’s a weird set up that’s for sure. Some bloke on Facebook reckons it works as normal on his set up.

k2a35EP.png

I have no idea how this chap has managed to achieve what he's claiming. I've just tried using the m30 pad (no analogue), defined my controls and all that happens is the bike accelerates upto 70kph but I have absolutely no control whatsoever. I haven't seen anybody raise any issues regarding this on the forums or discord. I might just be tempted to start a thread on the forum and see what comes back

30 minutes ago, shiffy said:

I have no idea how this chap has managed to achieve what he's claiming. I've just tried using the m30 pad (no analogue), defined my controls and all that happens is the bike accelerates upto 70kph but I have absolutely no control whatsoever. I haven't seen anybody raise any issues regarding this on the forums or discord. I might just be tempted to start a thread on the forum and see what comes back

Yeah that is exactly what is happening on mine.

Small tweak to my setup today. The usb bus on the de10 doesn’t supply a great amount of current so I’ve disconnected the vbus wire from my usbA socket and ran a bridge wire from the dc in +tab to the usb A vbus pin. Now any usb devices I connect are powered directly from the power jack. I can now run usb hub, controller, keyboard, mouse and WiFi dongle all at the same time. 

Quick question about MiSTer if I may...

I assume it's possible to strip out all of the stuff you've got no interest in? I'm fancying one of these but really just for Arcade and Neo Geo stuff. Would I be correct thinking it's just a case of deleting the stuff I don't want from the card and then editing config files to make sure that the things I don't want aren't displayed and the auto update doesn't pull them in?

I'm sure it doesn't make any difference leaving the stuff I don't want on there really, but I'm stickler for neatness.

Thanks.

Yeah I think it would just be a case of deleting the folders for the systems you don’t want. Not sure what happens when you do an update though. I’m sure that someone else will be more qualified to answer. 

You can just have the system boot into a core of your choosing too.

HI all

Got a problem with my USB board which is a v1.1. I use a NeoGeo ps3 stick for playing everything i can. Since the CPS2 cores come out i bought a cheap ps3 fighting stick.

Since then i can see the usb lights light up but sometimes the controllers stop responding and the lights go out. A reboot usually sorts it out but its a bit random.

I so far haven't changed anything (psu or usb board).

The psu is a 4amp job which has been fine since i bought it, but i suppose that could be an issue.

Any suggestions?

Currently only available to Patreons...

£170 for just the board, £454.80 for the "deluxe" kit that has everything including the DE10-Nano.

Edit:

Files for printing the case are here:

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/75605-mister-multisystem-classic-gaming-console-3d-print

They're encouraging people to adapt or design their own. Or even print and sell this one. They weren't intending on providing the case, but there was a lot of demand for it.

Some of you here who use the MiSTer on a HD flat panel may find these useful. A set of test cores has just recently appeared from Soltan_G42 (the guy who built the MiSTer scaler) which adds a shadowmask to the image. Those of you who use scanlines will probably want to try these out. The recommended scanline option to use is Sl_Br_125_65_Soft (although I'm liking the sharp option). Give these & try and experiment with what you feel looks best, if you're on Discord Soltan_G42 would like feedback. 

The three test cores linked are as follows :-

Mega Drive

SNES

Neo Geo

I won't have time to troubleshoot this properly until Wednesday night, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime: anyone had any issues with their USB hub not seeming to recognise controllers/keyboards? Earlier, I turned mine on for the first time in a month or so, and the blue lights next to the active USB ports were on, but no inputs were registering on-screen. My arcade stick's 'on'/'mode' light went off after a second or so, too. Any ideas?

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

I won't have time to troubleshoot this properly until Wednesday night, but I thought I'd ask in the meantime: anyone had any issues with their USB hub not seeming to recognise controllers/keyboards? Earlier, I turned mine on for the first time in a month or so, and the blue lights next to the active USB ports were on, but no inputs were registering on-screen. My arcade stick's 'on'/'mode' light went off after a second or so, too. Any ideas?

Thank you!

See my post just above, seems i'm not the only one then.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Where should these live in the directory?

It doesn't really matter, but for the sake of neatness and something that also won't be touched by any updaters just create a folder in the root of the sd card and name it something like "_Test" (the underscore has to be there), similar to the existing _Arcade, _Console & _Computer folders.

@bwi & @Klatrymadon Just noticed your posts on your USB issue, I was unaware of this issue. Having just read the thread posted by Dr_Dave I can't really say for sure what's going on here. Someone seems to suggest that there's a difference in hardware between older & newer DE10 units. Myself (along with Dr-Dave) probably have among the oldest DE10 units here, & like the forum implies I'm not seeing an issue with USB devices with the latest MiSter firmware updates. It's probably not an issue I can recreate either. I can only suggest following the guidance given on the MiSter forum .... sorry. ☹️

Also @bwi I know that you've had your DE10 for quite some time as well, so something is telling me that whatever this issue is might not be related to hardware revision differences. If it was I'm sure something like would have reared it's head a long time ago.

Could be time for me to invest in another DE10 for testing purposes.

Probably a bit of an odd question this one but is there any way to change the fan speed on the mister?

Mine has a noctua fan on it and everyone seems to state how quiet they are. Maybe my expectations are too high but mine is very much audible. Much more so than a series X for example. Because it's so small it's higher pitched too which isn't great. I'm not using a case at the moment so maybe that's why?

There's no way to change the fan speed unfortunately. I also have a Noctua fan in mine & I wouldn't describe it as silent. In fact, the cheap fan I had initially was quieter than the Noctua. I don't hear it now though as I have the MiSter in a case and located in a cupboard so I don't even see it most of the time, let alone hear it now!

Yea it's not a massive problem or anything. Once you have the game sound on it fades into the background anyway. Was just checking if I had mine set up incorrectly.

Now I must get back to Metroid fusion on the Mister in preparation for Dread. 😄