MiSTer: FPGA gaming

On 11/04/2021 at 17:39, mmmonkey said:

It is a lovely lovely case btw.  And his new revision fixes a couple of small issues

I can't see a case listed on misteraddons.com at all? I can see them on ultimatemister.com but are only available in white and you have to buy a bundle with a USB Hub at the moment. Am I missing something, or does mister addons usually sell a case, but it isn't listed at the moment?

52 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I can't see a case listed on misteraddons.com at all? I can see them on ultimatemister.com but are only available in white and you have to buy a bundle with a USB Hub at the moment. Am I missing something, or does mister addons usually sell a case, but it isn't listed at the moment?

Yep, he's removed the listing. He migrated his store over to some new software and hasn't added it again, IIRC.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I couldn't find the Jotego Github URL in the default update script so did a bit of digging. 

I found this: https://github.com/jotego/jtupdate

Should I use that or just add the Jotego CPS stuff elsewhere?

If you use the update_all.sh script, it'll update the official Jotego cores for you, and get the mras and roms. 

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

If you're talking about the beta cores from his Patreon, I believe you need to add those and update them manually, following the instructions he sends round in the Friday email.

I'm addicted to this thing in an unhealthy fashion.

4am nights.

Lost work hours.

Neglect of most innane tasks related to adulthood.

Etc.

It's like I've discovered gaming all over again. I might even sell off my RTX3080 for a high price.

Honestly, I probably threw something like 500 work hours at obtaining that thing. That's the only aspect of it that's making me hold.

I've added a cheap $20 DAC from AliExpress to my MiSTer setup. My headphones had a little hiss, and are nowhere near loud enough. Going into my speakers the hiss was unbearable, and really noticeable at regular playing volume. The optical out going into the DAC fixes the hiss, of course, and I get a volume knob as a bonus (a physical Mega Drive/AES style volume slider/knob would make a nice addition to the IO board, I feel). It's also slightly louder, but I've got a cheap headphone amp coming to resolve that so that I don't have to keep powering my speakers.

He put out a poll last week asking Patreons what CPS-II cores we wanted for this week. Shmups won by a huge lead, so it looks like Progear, Gigawing, and possibly Mars Matrix will drop tomorrow, as well.

It’s gonna be Mortal Kombat I reckon but I’d love it to be robocop, he’s said it’s one of his favourite arcade games and he’s planning to convert it

Possibly a stupid question but are the 3D printed RTC supports mentioned on MisterFPGA.co.uk a necessity or simply nice to have?

rtc-supports.png.86e4e32e752a3a43e16b41df1a0bfc89.png

Edit: answered my own question- nice to have.

19 hours ago, watusi said:

It’s gonna be Mortal Kombat I reckon but I’d love it to be robocop, he’s said it’s one of his favourite arcade games and he’s planning to convert it

Well it was neither...

The headphone amp turned up, and it's an absolute belter and no mistake.

Just to ensure that I'm analoguing the fuck out of that clean digital audio signal I went with a tube amp. I'm no audiophile, but everything I've tried so far (mainly CPS-II/Qsound and Final Fantasy VI) sounds like warm brandy. It's difficult to imagine near 30-year old video games sounding much better, at least without gambling over five figures on speakers to fill my room with.

IMG-20210419-171539.jpg

IMG-20210417-135742.jpg

My mate said it looks like I'm building a bomb.

This is very likely to be my 'forever' gaming setup now, until I add more controllers/joysticks and maybe upgrade the screen along the way. I have a 15" BVM in its flight case waiting on a replacement/donor PSU board, and potentially a 20" PVM coming in once the travel restrictions are lifted.

Excuse the messy shelves and boxes.

IMG-20210419-171444.jpg

The cables are a bit of an inconvenience, but that's the price you pay to cut down that lag to the bare minimum. That said I'll likely get a couple of 8bitdo 2.4GHz M30s at some point.

2 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

Where did the headphone amp come from? It looks lovely. 

AliExpress. It doesn't amplify by a great deal, but it certainly adds a ton of warmth and depth to the tone. The Mega Drive sounds especially sweet after listening to it loads last night, as it's tending to smooth out that sometimes abrasive high-end. It's the perfect accompaniment to a decent CRT. Two outputs for either low/high impedance, which is handy.

Hold fire, though - it's developing an issue with the right channel. Loads of static and distortion. Not sure if connector/amp or tube. I guess the tube, as I've been leaving it powered up for hours on end in order to run it in. I'm in contact with the supplier, so hopefully we can resolve it.

I plan on upgrading the Chinese tube to a Russian Military issue one at some point. I fancy getting a box of them in and stocking up.

6 minutes ago, Fallows said:

AliExpress. It doesn't amplify by a great deal, but it certainly adds a ton of warmth and depth to the tone. The Mega Drive sounds especially sweet after listening to it loads last night, as it's tending to smooth out that sometimes abrasive high-end. It's the perfect accompaniment to a decent CRT. Two outputs for either low/high impedance, which is handy.

Hold fire, though - it's developing an issue with the right channel. Loads of static and distortion. Not sure if connector/amp or tube. I guess the tube, as I've been leaving it powered up for hours on end in order to run it in. I'm in contact with the supplier, so hopefully we can resolve it.

I plan on upgrading the Chinese tube to a Russian Military issue one at some point. I fancy getting a box of them in and stocking up.

Where are the speakers? are you running it into a Yamaha guitar amp?

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Where are the speakers? are you running it into a Yamaha guitar amp?

Nah, it's powering my Fidelio X2HR headphones. The little Yamaha there is for when I'm playing with my son. A stopgap, really, until I can get some half-decent old speakers from somewhere.

23 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Nah, it's powering my Fidelio X2HR headphones. The little Yamaha there is for when I'm playing with my son. A stopgap, really, until I can get some half-decent old speakers from somewhere.

Looks cool aye! I also have a tower of power with cables everywhere. 

I have had it nice and tidy with cable ties, but I end up having to rewire something so I've just given up. 

TOP.thumb.jpg.9599ca3c950a8bbfac1e54a36f832158.jpg

6 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Ahhhh. Friday. My favourite day of the week.

Who else is F5'ing Jotego's Patreon page like a lunatic? 8-)

Spoiler

xmen vs street fighter today!