rllmuk
grindmouse

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends (Nov 19 EU Release, Switch)

Taito are releasing a new Bubble Bobble sequel on Switch this November. It’s 4 player.

I don’t care if the game turns out jank, gonna take that physical edition. And hopefully Bub & Bob get a Smash Bros DLC slot as well. Would love this to lead to a Bubble Bobble 1-3, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars collection on Switch.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

More here: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/4-player-switch-bubble-bobble-to-launch-exclusively-first-in-europe/

• Upvote 6

Oof, that art style. It reminds me of those retro collections on PSP that let you play with "updated" visuals.

That said, BB's been ported to pretty much everything so it's not like there aren't alternatives out there to suit your needs. :) 

• Upvote 3

The art style in the promo art is at least better than the DS versions. But yeah, could be better.

The game itself isn’t too bad. Reminds me of Pac-man CE or Bomberman R. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt, because one of the earlier sequels (Memories?) was a bit rubbish in the gfx dept but the gameplay was still decent iirc.

7 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

Just the thread title was enough for a 'must buy' for me. Please don't be crap...

Did you not see the trailer?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, deKay said:

It’s obviously a low budget title, but if you slow-mo the gameplay in the trailer looks like it could be solid.

I’m curious about the tron-style platforms in some stages - whether they’re a mechanic or just aesthetic. The only major negative is the “kid’s room” aesthetic and enemy designs. There are 3x enemy types shown: Puyo, Flower, Spinner. I hate the Puyo and Flower, they seem lazy and straight out of Bomberman R. The dragons themselves look great.

I would much rather they’d brought back the classic enemies but these will just be early stages I guess. Perhaps foolishly, I still have faith Taito will deliver a decent BB sequel.

I'd be tempted by this, because, well... it's Bubble Bobble.

I wish Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars were ported to Switch. A compilation of the whole series would be an easy sell, surely.

(While we're at it, can I also have Rodland on Switch?)

rodland_06.png

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, deKay said:

I watched the trailer, although on mute... The art style looks a little offensive, but as long as it still plays well I'll probably make a purchase. (In the same way that Super Bomberman R looks pretty hideous, but it's still a good game of multiplayer Bomberman).

• Upvote 1

BUBBLE BOBBLE 4???

I didn't even know there was a second one.  Loved the original when I was growing, clocked 100 levels a few times.

1 hour ago, Vaguely Heroic said:

I wish Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars were ported to Switch. A compilation of the whole series would be an easy sell, surely.

Don't forget Magic Pockets too!

21 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

BUBBLE BOBBLE 4???

I didn't even know there was a second one.  Loved the original when I was growing, clocked 100 levels a few times.

Don't forget Magic Pockets too!

It’s worth checking out the sequels: Bubble Bobble II: Bubble Symphony (and to a lesser extent, Bubble Memories).

spacer.png

Bubble Symphony is the best looking Bubble Bobble game. The easiest way to play it is probably via a PS Classic Mini and a rom backup of your legitimate physical copy. 

If anyone has any better ways of playing the sequels do share.

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

And Rodland.

It’s worth checking out the sequels: Bubble Symphony (and to a lesser extent, Bubble Memories).

I think the best way to play Bubble Symphony is probably via a PS Classic Mini and a rom backup of your legitimate physical copy. 

I never played Rodland, don't think it came out on any Atari format.  

hmmm, must just have missed that somehow.

I used to get pretty much all my 800 and ST games for free.  My uncle would just bring home copies of everything, funny how they said piracy would kill the games industry especially as he was a programmer for Beyond, Rainbird and Firebird and all he did was make games in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I keep wondering what on Earth is wrong with the music in this trailer.

I'm wondering why they decided to use an image to make it look like it's Space Invaders instead of Bubble Bobble.

29 minutes ago, deKay said:

I'm wondering why they decided to use an image to make it look like it's Space Invaders instead of Bubble Bobble.

I get what you’re saying but... because they’re IP’s from the same era both owned by Taito? I expect it was intended to be a fun retro reference, like the rainbows.

12 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I get what you’re saying but... because they’re IP’s from the same era both owned by Taito? I expect it was intended to be a fun retro reference, like the rainbows.

But it makes the video look like a Space Invaders game not a Bubble Bobble game.

(and they're different eras anyway - 8 years between them!)

1 hour ago, deKay said:

But it makes the video look like a Space Invaders game not a Bubble Bobble game.

(and they're different eras anyway - 8 years between them!)

I doubt anybody watching that video thought it was Space Invaders. 

They’re going for a NSMB / Pacman CE / Space Invaders Extreme aesthetic. I get you hate the art style, and I share your reservations, but I’ll hold out pre-judging the game itself.

@deKay Fair point.

Surely the chances these guys make it into Smash just shot up by about 1,000,000%.

A Nintendo exclusive sequel to the biggest Japanese retro platformer outside of Mario/Sonic, a cherished arcade game and a port that featured on the NES Classic Mini. A moveset that writes itself.

#believe