rllmuk
bplus

Best Ridge Racer?

Until two days ago I was convinced ridge Racer was shit. I then decided to play the original PS1 version on retro arch with higher res and wide screen hack etc. I was wrong, it's great!

Was your favourite version? I've heard there's a 60fps version of the original that came with type 4?

Also I see that a lot of people on the internet say 7 is the best. Though it's PS3 only, I I don't own one. I do have a 360, I hear that 6 on that is very similar to 7?

Edge gave unbounded 8 out of 10 while everyone else slated it, what was that all about?

I think @Meh or someone made a thread along the lines of "Ridge Racer 6: My GOTY"; I wouldn't go that far but it did make me curious enough to pick it up on the cheap a while later. I thought it was nice silly fun at first, but when another forum (Green Hill Zone) started doing R6 tournaments it really came into its own. Yes, you can take every corner sideways at ridiculous speeds, but when all of the other players can do the same it creates some exciting races. :D 

I don't remember it too well but I think Ridge Racer 2 on PSP was pretty good as well?

This is a tough one. Ridge 4 is beautiful and Rage Racer is like its dirtier, gritier cousin. Both play great but Rage just edges it for me.

However, my fave RR has to be 3D on the 3DS. It's fucking awesome and yet nobody's played it!

• Upvote 1

RR6 and 3D are probably my favourites.

7 was excellent, and RR2 deserves an honourable mention.

I’ve never played 5.

T4 is probably my favourite of the original PlayStation ones, though the original is really good. 

Unbounded I didn’t get on with.

I really, really want a new RR game!

I talked a fair old while about Ridge Racer on the latest episode of Playing Catch-Up (plug!)

I'm continuing to have a growing appreciation for the series as I often ignored it during the PS1 era due to preferring Sega offerings more.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is probably still my favourite but I don't play that very often as currently bouncing around playing 3-4 different versions.

Original Ridge Racer is the one I'm getting into, because of my PlayStation Classic - I feel like it has a clear place in history and importance as the very first PlayStation game and honestly it's still weirdly mind-blowing. Some of the design is very interesting and rewards precision in a way that none of the other games do.

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Edge gave unbounded 8 out of 10 while everyone else slated it, what was that all about?

All of them apart from Unbounded, it's a snivelling pile of shite that should be struck from the record.

Think my favourite has to be revolution though, it's a nice itteration on the PS1 original, but the fact you can spin the wrong way round the first hair pin, maintaining speed and looking cool as fuck in the process, is the reason it is the  main one for me.

The 60 fps demo from R4 of the original is a thing of beauty though and the first title for the PSP is a miracle as the tal at the time wa sthat they pulled it together in a very, very short dev time.

Ridge Racer High Spec (the 60fps version on PS1) is utterly brilliant, and a game I always go back to for its purity. You have to be pretty much perfect to win the "secret" challenges.

But I am also throwing my weight behind Rage Racer as the best overall package – I love how it is that much less rooted in reality than say R4 and that it gives us some really fun undulating courses which at times have a bit of that crazy Outrun sprite scaling effect about them. 

It's also one of those games you can look back on and marvel at how they created atmosphere and gave the game so much character with limited hardware.

Leaving aside my dislike of the nitrous mechanic, I had a lot of fun with RR6 on the 360 and it's a shame that the Xbox One BC programme missed it. I wish RR7 had the same single-player World Xplorer as it was great for tracking your overall progress.

Enjoyed the original Ridge Racer but I feel that I need to explore Type 4 more as I've only played snatches of it here and there. I've not played much else of the series, barring the apparently forgotten Vita version! What a messy launch that was.

9 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Leaving aside my dislike of the nitrous mechanic, I had a lot of fun with RR6 on the 360 and it's a shame that the Xbox One BC programme missed it. I wish RR7 had the same single-player World Xplorer as it was great for tracking your overall progress.

Enjoyed the original Ridge Racer but I feel that I need to explore Type 4 more as I've only played snatches of it here and there. I've not played much else of the series, barring the apparently forgotten Vita version! What a messy launch that was.

This. I don't hate it - and actually like the way it works in the PSP games - but in 6 & 7 it's a PITA because a) as soon as you fire it, the NPCs fire it, as if your button is slaved to their controls! and b) you HAVE to use it, and chain it perfectly, to get anywhere at all in the latter stages. I still enjoyed 6 & 7, but they are nowhere near my favourites.

the PSP games are the best, as they're greatest hits packages, but I guess my favourite original game is the underrated Ridge Racer V, with RR Type 4 a close second :)