rllmuk
Revival

Need for Speed: Heat | 8th November

I feel like I’m probably the only person on rllmuk who actually looks forward to new Need for Speed games, and have bought almost all of them over the years. This is probably not going to get much takeup in here, but I honestly thought that the 2015 Need for Speed was a great game, and has been unfairly maligned over the years. It has a lot of room for improvement, and I probably did myself a favour by waiting until the dodgy AI and rubberbanding had been patched out, but even taking that into account, I thought it was splendid – a racing game that’s in love with the idea of the city, in love with the look of skyscrapers shimmering in the distance, with coming over the brow of a hill to see twinkling lights all the way to the horizon, with catching glimpses of a lit-up suspension bridge through the trees as you drift through the switchbacks down a mountain road. The handling was really rewarding once you’d tweaked it a little – perfectly capturing a mix of the old Black Box understeering, and the Criterion-style drift round every corner approach - and the structure did a good job of showing you variety without overwhelming you with choice.

I even quite liked the cutscenes, even though they were pretty cringey. I enjoyed the way that they really earnestly portrayed a group of pals who just cared about racing and getting noticed by driving icons, rather than trying to be too edgy and having them owing money to crack dealers or trying to infiltrate illegal street racing rings – it reminded me a bit of the narrative bits in the original Road Rash, in that it gave just a hint of context to the otherwise pretty sparse racing. They were rubbish, but they were quite charming and heartfelt at the same time.

So I want to see where they take the series next. It seems pretty much impossible to actually predict what they’ll do, given that the last five or six games have been anything from wannabe-technical racing sims to “action driving” disasters to weirdly abstract open world MP games. NFS: Payback was godawful, so I’m not holding out tremendous hope for the next game, but if they can recapture anything of the 2015 game while getting rid of some of the more annoying elements, then I’m at least mildly interested. If I were to bet, I’d be inclined to say that they haven’t done a racing sim for a while, so might give that a shot; they’ve tried everything else it seems this gen, so maybe it’s time to try realism again.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, df0 said:

Give it to Criterion/BlackBox. Hot Pursuit was distilled racing goodness.

Black Box were killed off after The Run IIRC, and most of the NFS team at Criterion went to EA Ghost. To be honest, I think what EA need to do with NFS 2019 is to either reduce the scope, or delay the game. Ghost pumps out an NFS game every two years, which doesn't seem like enough time given how lavish they are, and how much they try to do. Even Activision realise they need three years between CoD games, and even then they seem to struggle a bit.

Point to point cops and robbers racer please. Call it Hot Pursuit 2019 and sneakily just rerelease an HD version of the Criterion masterpiece. 

This entire series has completely passed me by, all I know about it is that I once saw a cool rando photo of Imogen Gay Poots carrying a fuck off battleaxe titled Imogen_Need For Speed and that there was a film or something?

If it's an EA thing then it can get stuffed though, it'd take a blow job and a chilliburger with every copy for me to consider buying another of their games again after the shitshow of a decade they've had.

I don't know why they bother with the Need For Speed name still as it doesn't really carry any kudos does it - or is it simply that people recognise it.

I'd have thought the commercial thing to do would be to wave a cheque at whoever owns the Fast & The Furious franchise and call it Need For Speed Fast & Furious or something else clunky like that, it would sell to the sorts that like to spend their evenings doing donuts in the McD's car-park in their Punto.

Hopefully they'll have binned the loot boxes that plagued NFS Payback.

I'm hoping they build on the open world with a rubbish storyline approach of Payback. They just need to make it good, but after the single player mess that was Forza Horizon 4 there's definitely a gap in the market for it.

41 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Hold on @K. They patched out the shitty rubber banding in 2015????

Apparently; I played it for the first time about a month ago, so I don’t know what it wasn’t like before, but it seems alright now. No worse than any other racing game I’ve played. 

23 minutes ago, K said:

Apparently; I played it for the first time about a month ago, so I don’t know what it wasn’t like before, but it seems alright now. No worse than any other racing game I’ve played. 

I remember playing it on release via EA access and I was 200 yards from the line at over 100mph. I crashed, was immediately overtaken and I still won. It was crazy. 

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

I remember playing it on release via EA access and I was 200 yards from the line at over 100mph. I crashed, was immediately overtaken and I still won. It was crazy. 

It wasn’t that bad when I played it on the Xbox One last year. 

Trailer out. It's a..... night time street racer.

Regular as clockwork - daytime racer, then night time street racer.

So this one is an AVOID for me.

• Upvote 1

Playing hot pursuit online with friends was so much fun.  Fucking #funtimedave with his rear end nudges and denying all knowledge. Proper  red mist moments of hilarity.

series had a brief moment of utter excellence that returned to mediocre on all fronts after hot pursuit. 

• Upvote 3

Some more info

“Need for Speed Heat sends fans to Palm City, a brand-new open world where street racers have gathered to make their names known,” said EA.

“By day, players compete in the Speedhunters Showdown, a sanctioned competition where they earn Bank to customize and upgrade their garage of high-performance cars. At night, players risk it all to build their Rep in underground races where a rogue police task force roams the streets, ready to take racers down and swipe all their earnings. The roads, the risks, and the rides never end in this street racer where a player can roll deep with their crew, build their garage full of hot cars, and make the city their nonstop playground.”

Ghost Games has revealed Need for Speed: Heat, due for release November 8 on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. If you have EA Access or Origin you can get behind the wheel on November 5.

I think I'm a bollock down due to the arguments involved to make HP (2010)...

In other news, we pushed "Road Rage Online" to "Dangerous Driving" just now. Take a look,it's good fun - one team races, the other chases. And now you can switch sides if you get eliminated. 

This post was a paid for advertisement.

• Upvote 6