Remnant: From the Ashes - Aug 2019 - Shotgun Souls

I had another good session on this last night, again with randoms, playing co-op with the same two people for the best part of an hour. The lack of communication options is occasionally frustrating, like when you need to pause to make a drink or use the loo or something, but crouching to indicate that you're AFK tends to work quite well.

The game really doesn't do a very good job of explaining its systems, however, or where to go or how everything works, but for the time being I'm content enough to just be swept along from place to place, shooting horrible things in the face, largely because the actual gunplay is so satisfying.

At the moment I've only started my own game and had others join me; does anyone know how it works if I join someone else's game - can I join them at any point, even if they're far further on than I am? And am I right in thinking that I'll only make progress in my own world if I'm playing my own world? I can't go into someone else's game, unlock a load of checkpoints, leave and then have the same checkpoints unlocked on my own save?

42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

And am I right in thinking that I'll only make progress in my own world if I'm playing my own world? I can't go into someone else's game, unlock a load of checkpoints, leave and then have the same checkpoints unlocked on my own save?

Correct.

What a great game.

I played a couple of hours of this yesterday. I love the Souls games and I was intrigued at the prospect of "Souls but guns", and so far it's doing a great job with the concept.

It's true that the first area isn't the most inspiring, especially the sewers! But playing through it is still a great, and bloody tense experience. I made it through most of the sewers before running into a horrible thing that I couldn't seem to hurt. This led to me panicking, and legging it back through the entire area while being swarmed by little canon fodder things. I made it all the way back to the start before figuring out how to do some damage and killing it. :D

Do you lose anything apart from progress when you die? I was expecting to drop all my scrap or something given the other Soulslike elements, but I don't seem to have lost anything.

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

Do you lose anything apart from progress when you die? I was expecting to drop all my scrap or something given the other Soulslike elements, but I don't seem to have lost anything.

I was wondering this as well, but you don't seem to, and checkpoints are relatively frequent, so it seems more forgiving than Souls.

You should definitely give co-op a go.

8 minutes ago, bumgut said:

Is this acceptable as single player?

Is it ok to go with randoms in multiplayer?

can you get a game on ps4

I might buy this

1. Yes, although it does get pretty difficult solo. I get the impression that it's a co-op game, first and foremost - a few of the skills you get are deliberately engineered to be used for team work, and you get bonuses when you play with more people. Enemy attacks, health and numbers scale to the number of members there are in your party, but I still think most encounters are easier when there's more of you, despite this.

2. From my limited experience so far, yes, very much so - everyone I've encountered so far has been fine, genuinely there to play the game. All pick ups are shared between everyone, so there's no hoarding, and the limited ways in which you can interact with one another (via emotes) prevents griefing. There's friendly fire, but as the host, you can always kick and/or ban any trolls.

3. I'm playing on PC, so I can't answer this, but the three times I've tried I've got a full party more or less straight away. The game was free on the Epic Store quite recently, however, so this might have something to do with its current PC popularity. It's not cross play, so I don't know if you'll see this replicated on PS4.

I’ve started playing this with my brothers. We’ve had three sessions so far and I’m really enjoying it. It is absolutely nails when it comes to bosses, though. 

I’ve watched a couple of videos for general starter tips that the game doesn’t communicate particularly well (knowing how attack and defence levels are vs the current zone, for instance).

There was mention of building boss weapons in one of them. I assumed this is something we’ll get told about naturally further in, but we’re on our second major boss and getting our arses handed to us. Can somebody just confirm we haven’t missed anything obvious?

The bosses each drop an item which you can forge into a weapon back at base.

Just trying out the survival mode for the first time.  It's a lot of fun and probably how I'll play solo from now on.  I even saw a boss I haven't seen in the scores of hours I've put into the campaign and adventure modes, and got my arse handed to me by it, obvs.

13 minutes ago, Billy Brown said:

I’ve started playing this with my brothers. We’ve had three sessions so far and I’m really enjoying it. It is absolutely nails when it comes to bosses, though. 

I’ve watched a couple of videos for general starter tips that the game doesn’t communicate particularly well (knowing how attack and defence levels are vs the current zone, for instance).

There was mention of building boss weapons in one of them. I assumed this is something we’ll get told about naturally further in, but we’re on our second major boss and getting our arses handed to us. Can somebody just confirm we haven’t missed anything obvious?

The item you get from the first boss (or the first one I encountered, anyway - Scourge), you can use to craft into a useful mod by talking to the grumpy engineer woman back at base - it's like a summonable Triffid thing that all other enemies are drawn towards for a time. A whipped it out in a later boss fight where hordes of enemies attack you all at once, and it saved my bacon big time, not to mention the other members of my party.

Just to echo the sentiments on here- this is great fun, especially in co-op. And I love just how full-tilt crazy the story goes too. I keep describing the bosses as 'demoralizing', but developing tactics to beat them (Ragweed is pretty essential for dealing with the mobs) is SO satisfying. My heart is pumping after we win a particularly tense fight.

With this and Deep Rock Galactic on Gamepass at the minute, my friends and I are having a ball.

I looked a little further into it, and apparently it was an Oculus exclusive called Chronos, and this is the rebranded non-VR release? 

Anyway, early impressions are that it's pretty decent. Not amazing, but decent.

Edit: Mogster just beat me to it by a hair.

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

How do you join other people's games?

You have to do it from the initial menu, I believe, before you load your save. Bear in mind that even though you'll keep all of the items you discover in another person's world, your progress in their world won't be replicated in yours. If you're just starting out then it might be an idea to let other people come to you, at least initially, so you can make some progress. At the beginning of the game you unlock lots of traits that you can put your skill point into, and it might be that you want to focus on the ones you unlock later.