Remnant: From the Ashes - Aug 2019 - Shotgun Souls

There's definitely something screwy going on with the online service at the moment. I reinstalled the Steam version this morning (had it since launch), but it seems that since crossplay with Epic went live in the latest patch the Steam version has a habit of crashing every 50 minutes or so.

Going offline seems to fix things, so it'll hopefully be taken care of by the time to DLC launches on the 20th. Perhaps Epic cloud saves will be sorted out at the same point.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I really fancy this but finding out levels are procedurally generated is a huge turn off. This genre really benefits from hand crafted levels. So few games pull off procedural shit.

Whatever genre you think Remnant is, it probably isn't in the strictest sense. That's probably the biggest take-away I found when playing through it with some friends earlier on this year - And it's probably why I enjoyed it so much.

- It's not really a souls-like, because the general punishment you receive from this game is minimised from not losing resources on death, let alone multiplayer generally being encouraged with drop-in co-op and loot duplicated to other players on collection. Likewise, outside of the third point, a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay involves.. shooting things at a distance. Stamina, as a result, governs how much distance you can cover with sprinting and how many combat rolls you can pump out, which is handy because of how enemies spawn (I'll get into that).

- It's not really a looter shooter, as there's no incremental equipment drops - there's resources/materials to upgrade weapons and armour, and you find new weapons and armour in semi-static locations and bosses, similar to Souls games. Some accessories are found by the generated environments, however, as well as what are effectively Estus Flask upgrades. They're fairly frequent, however.

- It's not really a Third-Person Shooter, as the game has avenues to implement full melee builds, and even minion summoning builds. There's no cover mechanics either, instead relying on.. iframe combat rolls, similar to Souls games. Again, there's avenues to build toward co-op play, including having an accessory which gives party members a portion of health whenever you chug your Estus-like.

- While the levels are generally a bit small to notice massive differences with the procedural generation (as mentioned), what is noticeable is enemy spawns, which amusingly feels more like Left 4 Dead than anything else - because as well as affecting the number and locations of the normal enemies, it'll use a specific sound effect to signal that an elite has dropped in, which does the things you'd expect from Left 4 Dead's Infected Mutants (Big fast melee tanks, stealth cloaking archers that stick bleed effects on characters, that sort of thing). As a result, combat's a lot more on-the-fly as opposed to Souls games.

It's just this weird game that ends up being a patchwork of mechanics that has absolutely no right to be as entertaining as it is, but it absolutely does and it makes me genuinely interested what Gunfire can do with a bit of spit and polish, along with a fistful of cash from the deals they made via Gamepass and EGS.

So this didn’t make the best first impression, really. I mean, it’s alright, but I’m already sick of fighting those groot guys and everything is either grey or brown. I had some big two-sword wielding ghost guy spawn in behind me in the sewers whilst I was fighting small round charging guys, and it pinned me up a barrier and killed me. The game isn’t explaining anything. I picked Cultist as my archetype. 

I like looking like a cowboy priest, though. 

Ok, beat a boss called Enchanter Shroud after three or four goes. Was battering me until I figured to just ignore the adds unless they were in my face, but it was still an annoying as hell boss. Poison bombs going off constantly, exploding barrage shit, constant streams of adds. 

Combat is good, though. Real weighty, I like it. 

18 hours ago, Timmo said:

I really fancy this but finding out levels are procedurally generated is a huge turn off. This genre really benefits from hand crafted levels. So few games pull off procedural shit.

This actually works really well in the same way it does in Diablo 3.  After a play through of the campaign, running through adventure sessions to kill bosses and gather upgrade items is an absolute delight.  It's such a well put together game.  There's no real crafting, which is great, and collecting stuff to upgrade weapons and armour is simple and unobtrusive.  At times it feels like Destiny, The Division, L4D, Souls, Diablo, but it's entirely its own thing despite that.  This has been a real surprise for me, in the face of heavy hitters like Tsushima and TLoU2 it's all I want to play.

But don't be dissing Terminator Resistance, Hammo.  That game is a fucking love letter to the only good Terminator film(s).

1 minute ago, Nathan Wind said:

But don't be dissing Terminator Resistance, Hammo.  That game is a fucking love letter to the only good Terminator film(s).

To be fair the rest of the game is great, but it does feel like a remaster of an OG Xbox game at times. My phased plasma with a 40 watt range feels more like a phased pea shooter.

1 minute ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

To be fair the rest of the game is great, but it does feel like a remaster of an OG Xbox game at times. My phased plasma with a 40 watt range feels more like a phased pea shooter.

This is fair.  The overall aesthetic and sounds and world building are pure Terminator though and it's worth it for that alone.  It's similar to Remnant in that I'd love to see what the studio could do with a AAA budget as someone up there ^ mentioned.

17 hours ago, Siri said:

Whatever genre you think Remnant is, it probably isn't in the strictest sense. That's probably the biggest take-away I found when playing through it with some friends earlier on this year - And it's probably why I enjoyed it so much.

- It's not really a souls-like, because the general punishment you receive from this game is minimised from not losing resources on death, let alone multiplayer generally being encouraged with drop-in co-op and loot duplicated to other players on collection. Likewise, outside of the third point, a lot of moment-to-moment gameplay involves.. shooting things at a distance. Stamina, as a result, governs how much distance you can cover with sprinting and how many combat rolls you can pump out, which is handy because of how enemies spawn (I'll get into that).

- It's not really a looter shooter, as there's no incremental equipment drops - there's resources/materials to upgrade weapons and armour, and you find new weapons and armour in semi-static locations and bosses, similar to Souls games. Some accessories are found by the generated environments, however, as well as what are effectively Estus Flask upgrades. They're fairly frequent, however.

- It's not really a Third-Person Shooter, as the game has avenues to implement full melee builds, and even minion summoning builds. There's no cover mechanics either, instead relying on.. iframe combat rolls, similar to Souls games. Again, there's avenues to build toward co-op play, including having an accessory which gives party members a portion of health whenever you chug your Estus-like.

- While the levels are generally a bit small to notice massive differences with the procedural generation (as mentioned), what is noticeable is enemy spawns, which amusingly feels more like Left 4 Dead than anything else - because as well as affecting the number and locations of the normal enemies, it'll use a specific sound effect to signal that an elite has dropped in, which does the things you'd expect from Left 4 Dead's Infected Mutants (Big fast melee tanks, stealth cloaking archers that stick bleed effects on characters, that sort of thing). As a result, combat's a lot more on-the-fly as opposed to Souls games.

It's just this weird game that ends up being a patchwork of mechanics that has absolutely no right to be as entertaining as it is, but it absolutely does and it makes me genuinely interested what Gunfire can do with a bit of spit and polish, along with a fistful of cash from the deals they made via Gamepass and EGS.

Bought off your words, I'll report back!

I hadn’t realised when I picked cultist that the rifle was a two shot and reload thing and got worried but HOT DAMN if it isn’t satisfying to use, especially at point blank range with fire bullets into a boss’s stupid face. Also, the default pistol is super tasty and is actually My go to weapon 90% of the time. 

Not sure this is for me. First level was ok for the most part but the first boss I'm facing (Gorefist) is appallingly designed. Hitting me through walls while his adds come at me from all angles. Just really bad.

Coming off the back of Hollow Knight - which has such excellently designed bosses - I'm really not impressed.

I'm enjoying this for the most part but it's also equal part frustrating. I admit, I could also be missing stuff as well.

The weapons are great though, really solid, and the SMG is a fun weapon to grab early on. 

The biggest issue, and again, could be doing something wrong. My wife and I have just tried playing co-op and it ramps the difficulty right up even though she's a level 10 and hosting. I read that they'd fixed it so the game scales to a max of 3 above the lowest class, but this feels more like playing the early levels on a much higher difficulty. I'm level 40-something and I'm barely making it through most battle, while my wife is getting killed within a couple of hits. 

Also, it feels bugged - she's hosting the game, but I can't use anything in my inventory that I'm not already holding. So I can't swap out weapons, gear or consumables. And my abilities only seem to work sometimes. Even if they've not been used at all, the game won't let me know use. In our 40 minutes of play, it let me use them once or twice at most, which is odd and frustrating when at least one of them is specifically for co-op play. 

A shame because the game feels really solid. The world is quite well realised and the gun and melee stuff is solid enough. 

• 3 months later...

I've just started this after getting it for free on the Epic store back in the summer.

As has been mentioned already on this page, the combat feels nice and weighty, whether you're shooting or fighting hand-to-hand, but the post-apocalyptic fallen city and abandoned bunker settings if encountered in the opening two hours are pretty uninspired, as are the enemies. I also died to the Shroud guy that @Doctor Shark mentioned - is he an optional boss or something? He only appeared once I'd busted up a bone shrine thing in the middle of a corridor, so it felt like I didn't have to fight him if I didn't want to - I got the feeling that I triggered him by accident. The game doesn't tell you a huge deal, which I find annoying more than intriguing.

Anyway, I'll stick with it for now in the hope that the environments and encounters get a bit more interesting, and for £0.00, I can't really complain. I'm playing it solo, however - am I missing a trick not playing it online? I haven't got any friends, so if I were to play online then it would be randoms. Is there voice chat or is all done via emotes, like Souls? I've figured out how to ping (often accidentally, and loudly, when near a group of enemies), but I can't see anything else that would allow me to interact with another person.

Trust me. Stick with it. That opening level of the crumbling city-scape is the worst possible intro. All of the later levels are exotic and beautiful and by the end you feel like you're playing a different game. Its so good.

I'll play it with you. I've been thinking about going back since i played the excellent DLC, which i had no problem paying £8 for when i got the game free. Bear in mind i already completed it on XBox. Its one of my favourite games that has been sadly overlooked by many.

8 hours ago, Curtis said:

Trust me. Stick with it. That opening level of the crumbling city-scape is the worst possible intro. All of the later levels are exotic and beautiful and by the end you feel like you're playing a different game. Its so good.

I'll play it with you. I've been thinking about going back since i played the excellent DLC, which i had no problem paying £8 for when i got the game free. Bear in mind i already completed it on XBox. Its one of my favourite games that has been sadly overlooked by many.

Not sure that's true, you know. The matchmaking was always quick and I think Gunfire said it exceeded their expectations.

I had another go on this a moment ago and went on the public servers this time, as opposed to playing offline, and it was quite good fun - I got joined fairly quickly by two people, one who was close to the same level as me, who showed me where to find a submachine gun, and another dude with a bright purple sword and very fancy-looking gear who just killed everything instantly and was obviously very high level. He was still nice, though, and showed us where to find loads of stuff.

The emotes are pretty rubbish, though - they're activated via a wheel that involves clicking the R stick in and moving it to the one you want to select, but it's bloody fiddly, and there's nothing for 'Thank You' or 'Bye', so I had to just suddenly end the game when my baby woke up from his nap. I tried to message the people who helped me afterwards, but there's no Recent Players list on the Epic Store, from what I could see, at least, so hopefully I didn't annoy anyone.

Anyway, I'll play it again online tonight I think. 3 hours in and I haven't wanted to stop playing it so far!