rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Remnant: From the Ashes - Aug 2019 - Shotgun Souls

Did a search for a topic on this but couldn't find one. Maybe not a surprise considering I've seen two videos so far, saying they'd not really heard of it before the last month. This is developed by Gunfire Games and mashes together a few genres. It's part souls, part Borderlands and a bit rogue-like. You can play online with up to three others or play solo, completely offline. 

It looks to have highly customisable characters, no micro transactions, with a promise of paid and free DLC. The gunplay looks pretty good though the locations seem quite sparse. There's the promise of 40+ weapons, excluding Melee. Over 100 enemy types and 20-30 bosses.

image.png

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 6

I'm really looking forward to this. Looks a little different and the dev diaries seem to suggest that they're genuinely trying to set this up for longevity.

I also noticed though that its vanished from the Playstation store. No idea why and no comment from the Devs. 

Earlier this evening i found out this is a digital only release. Shortly after i realised you can play it on XBox today!

40GB later and i jumped in. Initial impressions aren't great. It controls and moves well, which for a 3rd person shooter is paramount. The guns feel okay (assuming they're piddly starter weapons). Its just all the over-bloated nonsense that comes with it - i mustv'e skipped 100 lines of dialogue, which for a rogue/rinse-repeat game are utterly pointless! Just let me get stuck in and figure it out, don't overload me with info.

Difficulty so far seems okay-ish. You need a couple of deaths to see how its balanced. Its manageable if you have good spacial awareness. The sound mix is all over the shop. Not good when you're already worried about enemies spawning behind you (a cardinal sin).

Not much to write home about. I'll see how tomorrow goes.

• Upvote 1

This literally hard crashed my PC with a blue screen twice, locked it three times and corrupted my profile three times (which loses all your progress with no way of getting it back).

Cant say I've had any crash issues so far.

I like how it's a fairly generic third person effort, nicely fills the void before Control and Borderlands 3. Doesnt bring anything new to the table.and doesnt have the pretence of doing so

It's a bit rough around the edges, plays well, looks lovely.

It's a typical 6/7 outta 10 effort.

Quite enjoyed this afternoon's session. Started a new character and went Hunter this time. The rifle doesn't do alot of damage but keeping distance can be useful in the wide-open streets. 

Made it to the first named boss. He's a cheap mutherfucker - once you get downed the rising animation isn't quick enough to avoid his follow-up attacks meaning you're probably dead. And don't get me started on the annoying minions that flood the arena at seemingly random points. 

Yeah, its got issues, but its intruiguing enough and i like the Souls aspect of pushing a little further each time.

Quite enjoyed this last night. I was playing with two mates and had a lot of fun. The problem is it doesn’t save the campaign progress with all three of you, just the host. 

I just realised that my comment above regarding 'first named boss' won't be the same for everyone. :blush: I know this because i re-rolled my campaign (you keep your gear and stats) because i wanted to run through the early bits and grind some money to upgrade my Rifle (having previously upgraded the Couch Gun), and I got a completely different boss. :ph34r:

I had a few really hairy moments getting there - the heal/heart animation is sooooo long, you need to be in cover and safe before popping it. Not always that easy. I've also go my head around the basic meds for status effects that can sap you pretty quick if you're not paying attention.

The more i play, the more i'm enjoying it. The opening city area is bland as fuck, but based on that gameplay trailer above, the environments later-on look waaaaay more interesting.

Time to push on! 

Anyone else played this? It seems to be getting good reviews on Steam at the moment. It looks okish, looks a bit cheapo quality to me though. I would normally go for something like this, but I am getting a bit sick of all the buggy half finished games these companies seem to push out these days.

I've made a fair bit of progress this evening (upgraded my Estus, and my weapons past +5), and like all Souls-ish games i have a bunch of basic non-spoiler tips i'd be happy to share. ;) 

One thing i'm not sure on is this procedurally generated business. Based on the two characters i have and a couple of 're-roll campaigns' for the grind, there seems to be a clear Route A or Route B. Then when you beat the first boss (again, 1 of 2 choices), and do a bit more, the final part of the stage is basically the alternate route. At least thats how i understand it so far. :wacko:

Its very linear, and very one-note (so far). But that being said, and i hope this isn't a spoiler, but a new enemy type just woke up my 3rd person shooter skills. And hiding behind cover and poppin heads is a choice (not attach to cover - just crouch behind a car). So yeah. Not just Souls. :o 

Finished it yesterday with around 22 - 24 hours on the clock playing solo, on normal mode.  But you can complete it quicker than that, I just really like taking my time and exploring as much as possible.  As has been said the opening area is a bit bland but it really improved world/enemy wise as the game goes on.  It's always fun to play regardless of the bland opening area, it takes some inspiration from Dark Souls in terms of say Estus Flask, unlocking a shortcut etc but it does its own thing too in regards to combat.  Nice mix overall, weapons are very satisfying to use, as a shooter it's a lot of fun.  The shotguns are especially tasty and the weapon mods are very nice.  After finishing the game I rerolled my campaign and started on Hard though I've not played too far into it again yet.  Spent a few hours last night jumping into random peoples games to help out and get more items etc.  Came across a few bosses I had never seen before as well whilst doing coop which was cool and a few different tileset layouts (same environment types, just a different layout).  I can definitely see some of the bosses annoying folks, they love to throw additional smaller enemies at you so it's a constant case of managing them and attacking the boss, it can be quite hectic.

Overall a really nice surprise and one of those really enjoyable AA games you'd come across.  It obviously isn't super high budget like a AAA but it's a damn fine solid shooter I really enjoyed playing.  Nice to come across a game you knew absolutely nothing about and ended up having a blast with.

• Upvote 2

I knew you'd be playing it. ;) Glad you enjoyed it. Means i'll persevere. And yes, i'm loving the shooting now the enemies shoot back. 

I just hit a certain boss where its clear i need to go back and stock up on a certain medicant. :lol:

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

I knew you'd be playing it. ;) Glad you enjoyed it. Means i'll persevere. And yes, i'm loving the shooting now the enemies shoot back. 

I just hit a certain boss where its clear i need to go back and stock up on a certain medicant. :lol:

Well of course though admittedly I haven't been playing much recently, just ended up playing this :P

Which boss out of curiosity ? I always like to have ammo boxes on me as well, can come in very handy even when you can get ammo from enemies dropping some.

12 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Well of course though admittedly I haven't been playing much recently, just ended up playing this :P

Which boss out of curiosity ? I always like to have ammo boxes on me as well, can come in very handy even when you can get ammo from enemies dropping some.

The Singe Dragon because i had zero coolants first time i went in. 

:omg: Hot-hot-hot!

Coincidentally (based on your post above) i realised pure DPS and fuck the ads is the best bet. And using an Ammo pack with the Rifle, which is sooooo much more practical than the other 'long' weapons was the key.

It's been essential to my cautious first playthrough.

5 hours ago, Curtis said:
  Hide contents

The Singe Dragon because i had zero coolants first time i went in. 

:omg: Hot-hot-hot!

Coincidentally (based on your post above) i realised pure DPS and fuck the ads is the best bet. And using an Ammo pack with the Rifle, which is sooooo much more practical than the other 'long' weapons was the key.

It's been essential to my cautious first playthrough.

The funny thing is

I never came across that boss at all during my playthrough

:lol: Wonder how big the pool of bosses is for when rerolling your campaigns.  That's pretty cool though.

Weapons wise I stuck a lot of the time with the magnum/submachine gun/upgraded pump action shotgun though I did tend to mess around with all weapons to an extent but those were my main core. 

Was finding this pretty bland and punishing in solo but it becomes a different game with extra players. Had two good sessions yesterday with a random companion and made it past the first big boss 

Spoiler

Singe in my case.

Took us about 8 tries but that was largely due to the lack of any communication options (think they've added voice chat in the most recent patch) so was difficult to coordinate attacks. The mobs are just a pain in solo and would be better removed or limited.

Definitely enjoying it more than I thought I would (got the code to write an early impressions piece) even though it's a very different beast to Monster Hunter which was my pre-release idea of it.

I got gifted a copy of this on PC having heard nothing about it previously and it's been a hugely surprising game. It's certainly Dark Souls with guns in a lot of ways, but it's doing some really interesting stuff with mob types and the way they interact. Some combat encounters feel a little bit Halo, with bigger enemies forcing you into cover while smaller ones attempt to flank or rush you depending on their abilities. I've had a couple of particularly thrilling running battles through the streets with groups of ranged and melee enemies, ducking behind cars and running in and out of buildings as we manoeuvre around each other.

Colour me impressed!

Yeah I've been dipping in and out with this. Certainly worth a play. The other game I've been playing atm is Darksiders 3, playing both so close to each other I felt they shared some similar traits, especially graphically, a quick google shows they do have a connection in the developer department. As in they're both developed by the same developer lol. 

Had a greast session last night with some random i met off the XBox dashboard LFG/Club thingy. What a brilliant inclusion! I've not used my XBox online in a long time, so had no idea it existed. ^_^